E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > $10 smoke test DIY / how I fixed my 30FF

09-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #23
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

OK, did this. Not sure what pressure I got to...wasn't much. Only place smoke came out was the oil cap with it open (via PCV, I presume)...I think this is normal...can anyone confirm? It happens in the video too and the comments indicate it is normal. Thx.

Note: I didn't block off the PCV because my issue happens with the intake at a vacuum so didn't desire to get much pressure. Boost looks good on logs up to 21#.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune

Last edited by AndyW; 09-19-2016 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: extra info
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #24
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
OK, did this. Not sure what pressure I got to...wasn't much. Only place smoke came out was the oil cap with it open (via PCV, I presume)...I think this is normal...can anyone confirm? It happens in the video too and the comments indicate it is normal. Thx.

Note: I didn't block off the PCV because my issue happens with the intake at a vacuum so didn't desire to get much pressure. Boost looks good on logs up to 21#.
If you pumped in a good amount of smoke and it only came out the oil cap then that's good news.

Oh, and if you haven't started the car yet, expect some smoke on startup. Pressurising the crank case pushed oil past my turbo seals (I guess) and caused it to smoke for a minute.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #25
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
If you pumped in a good amount of smoke and it only came out the oil cap then that's good news.

Oh, and if you haven't started the car yet, expect some smoke on startup. Pressurising the crank case pushed oil past my turbo seals (I guess) and caused it to smoke for a minute.
Yay! Finally some good news. I pushed a whole swisher grape in there. Car didn't really smoke when I started it, so I'll count that as good news too!

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #26
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Yay! Finally some good news. I pushed a whole swisher grape in there. Car didn't really smoke when I started it, so I'll count that as good news too!
It may be good news. Are you trying to diagnose a 30FF code? If so, a boost least may have been an easier fix than the other causes.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #27
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
It may be good news. Are you trying to diagnose a 30FF code? If so, a boost least may have been an easier fix than the other causes.
No. No codes. Boost is fine. Just a throttle oscillation issue at 2-4% accel pedal position.

Appreciate 0