E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 Power folding mirror retrofit

05-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
E91 Power folding mirror retrofit

It's me again!

My latest retrofit is now complete. I've just installed a set of pre-LCI power folding mirrors. No pictures this time as I didn't have much time doing the job.

My hardest problem was searching through all the misinformation on the net to find the correct info!

Theory: the power folding mirrors are controlled by the LIN bus. The standard mirrors are not. The drivers switch cluster IS on the LIN bus already and is directly connected to the drivers door mirror (although by default the mirror is not on the LIN bus). You do not need to replace the drivers door loom because once the FRM has been coded, the LIN to the mirrors are activated. The passenger door mirror however does not have the wiring for the LIN (unless you have memory seats) which is why we need to replace that door loom and install the LIN bus to the FRM.

Anyway the retrofit was not that difficult.

I obtained the following parts:

1: set of mirrors
2: driver window switch
3: passenger door loom (suitable for power windows/memory seats)
4: couple metres of wire

Steps to fit:

###Passenger door###
1: Remove passenger door trim, peel back the lining. Undo loom from bulkhead (in the door shut).
2: Peel back the trim covering the mirror and undo the connector.
3: Remove the mirror by undoing the 3 bolts, be careful not to let it drop.
4. Fit the new mirror into place, make sure the rubber grommet is fixed through the hole.
5: Undo all connectors and remove loom from door.
6: Refit the new loom, you might have spare connectors left over. These can be tied back into the bottom of the door. It won't foul the windows when they open.
7: Do not refit the loom into the bulkhead just yet. We need to modify the connector block.
7: Refit all the trim.

###Driver door###
1: Remove door trim.
2: Follow steps 2, 3 and 4 as above.
3: Refit connector to the mirror.
4: Prise up the window switch cluster, unclip the connector and fit the new switch cluster in it's place.
5: Refit all the trim.

###Installation of LIN bus###
1: Using the old loom that you took out of the passenger door. Take out one of the small pins (this will be used to plug into the FRM). This is assuming you don't want to keep the old loom.
2: Take off the drivers footwell trim to get access to the FRM. You need to plug in the pin to the X14260 connector at pin 22.
3: Route this wire to the passenger footwell.
4: Remove enough trim to get access to the door loom which is inside the bulkhead. This is quite tricky as there is not much room to maneouvre
5: Peel back the insulation and the large black soft grommet. This allows you a little more working room.
6: The LIN bus uses pin 6 on the passenger door loom connector. Power for the mirrors is provided on pin 8. This needs to be connected to a permanent 12v supply. You will see that pins 2 and 7 are not used on the new door loom and are now redundant. I removed these pins from the bulkhead loom and stripped back enough of the black sellotape to enable me to use these wires. Cut them a few inches down the loom and tape off the old cables.
7: Remove these pins and put them into pin 6 and pin 8 of the bulkhead loom.
8: Crimp the wire from pin 6 to the wire that leads to pin 22 on the FRM.
9: Crimp the wire from pin 8 to a 12+ permanent supply. There is a large red wire with a blue tracer on a connector which also houses a large brown wire and a thin white wire. I connected pin 8 to the Red/Blue wire.
10: Refit all the trim.

###Coding###
This depends on your setup of NCSEXPERT and which profiles you have. But basically, install the mirrors by coding the option using a profile with manipulation disabled. Then change any options using a profile with manipulation enabled. The steps I took are as follows:

1: Using WERKSEINSTELLUNG profile in NCS Expert, code $313 to the CAS and NFRM.
2: Take a backup of the CAS and NFRM in case you have other options you want to keep.
3: Code using SG_CODIEREN which will reset the modules back to default (and enable the folding mirror options).
4: Change profile to OFFEN.
5: Read CAS/NFRM modules and restore any of your previous options that have been overwritten.

Finished!
Appreciate 4
      05-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Great write up!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
mikeetastic
Rep
Drives: 335i

4 year bump!!!

thank you for the write up. will follow this once i have all the parts with me and right now all i have is a 3 pin folding mirrors (mine is manual).. still looking for a cheap switch and passenger harness.

quick question, will this also enable the power seats? mine is manual and looking to get power seats too (SPORTS).

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 02:40 AM   #4
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
No, you'd need to wire up the seats separately.
      02-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Krissdean
Rep
Drives: E90

Another bump a year later, OP I think I have installed this folling your instructions
Just a quick question I have no power to both mirrors (ie the manual tilting button doesn’t even work)
But the window switches do, before coding did anything work on your mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 02:28 AM   #6
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I don't know, because I coded mine right after the installation.

However I would say the mirrors wouldn't work at all until coded because they use the LIN bus.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Hybridz0rz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Pre LCI 320D M-Sport

Just successfully retrofitted some heated powerfolding mirrors and coded them in. Albeit the coding is a bit more comprehenisve then just adding a VO. to also enable heating and key remote close open etc. and you also need to enable LIN line via coding.

Hit me up if i should make a clarified tutorial.

Retrofitted on a 2006 E90 Msport (FRM1) but is the same as FRM2&3 coding wise.
      06-18-2019, 03:25 AM   #8
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
For my coding I didn't have to specifically enable the LIN bus. Obviously just adding a VO isn't sufficient - the relevant modules need to be coded. Once I'd added the VO for folding mirrors I coded the FRM to default using the SG_CODEIREN job in NCSExpert and that enabled the LIN bus for me.
      07-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
mashurst
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i E92 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridz0rz View Post
Just successfully retrofitted some heated powerfolding mirrors and coded them in. Albeit the coding is a bit more comprehenisve then just adding a VO. to also enable heating and key remote close open etc. and you also need to enable LIN line via coding.

Hit me up if i should make a clarified tutorial.

Retrofitted on a 2006 E90 Msport (FRM1) but is the same as FRM2&3 coding wise.
If you could do a clarified tutorial that would be great Mate

I've just bought a door switch, and swapped it over, and nothing works, so I've gone back to the original switch for now.

I haven't bought the mirrors yet, but if I do, will they still do tilt etc as the current ones do, or will they not work either until the coding is done?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #10
Diwil_0
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
For my coding I didn't have to specifically enable the LIN bus. Obviously just adding a VO isn't sufficient - the relevant modules need to be coded. Once I'd added the VO for folding mirrors I coded the FRM to default using the SG_CODEIREN job in NCSExpert and that enabled the LIN bus for me.
Hi bump once again, I've bought the mirrors and switch panel. My question is the mirrors are a 3 pin. My car is a 5 pin manual mirrors. Will it still work if I follow your installation process with out any mods to drivers door? Also could some one direct me to where I can buy passenger door harness with memory seats/electric mirrors please. Checked all scrap yards and cant find any online. My car. BMW 325d 08 pre lci manual seats/mirrors with idrive ccc
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
mashurst
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i E92 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwil_0 View Post
Hi bump once again, I've bought the mirrors and switch panel. My question is the mirrors are a 3 pin. My car is a 5 pin manual mirrors. Will it still work if I follow your installation process with out any mods to drivers door? Also could some one direct me to where I can buy passenger door harness with memory seats/electric mirrors please. Checked all scrap yards and cant find any online. My car. BMW 325d 08 pre lci manual seats/mirrors with idrive ccc
Think the guy who promised some help has disappeared Mate. I've been waiting a month for a response
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
Hybridz0rz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashurst View Post
Think the guy who promised some help has disappeared Mate. I've been waiting a month for a response
Hey, yeah sorry for beeing away for a while, You do need the mirrors for the button to do anything. ill see to write up a tutorial. Im currently retrofitting power seats with memory(Heated, bolsters and lumbar) Ill take some more pictures when i finish that.

But other then that ill do some in depth explanation on the coding
      09-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
Hybridz0rz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwil_0 View Post
You need the 3pin wiering harness. The new mirrors communicate over Lin-BUS
i had to swap out the passanger side harness as it had the 5 pin connection and you need to route 2 new wires to the passenger side door connector for Power and Lin BUS. power you get from the fuse box and the Lin BUS comes from the FRM. Ill do an indepth tutorial with pictures
      10-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #14
nmccord30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i 07

Quote:
You need the 3pin wiering harness. The new mirrors communicate over Lin-BUS
i had to swap out the passanger side harness as it had the 5 pin connection and you need to route 2 new wires to the passenger side door connector for Power and Lin BUS. power you get from the fuse box and the Lin BUS comes from the FRM. Ill do an indepth tutorial with pictures
Hey bump lol so I have a 2007 328i the driver seat is power/ memory what do I need to upgrade to power folding and auto dim mirrors and heated if that's a thing?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:27 PM   #15
Hybridz0rz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccord30 View Post
Hey bump lol so I have a 2007 328i the driver seat is power/ memory what do I need to upgrade to power folding and auto dim mirrors and heated if that's a thing?
You need the mirrors them selves in whatever option you prefer..

As far as i have heard, having power seats w/memory func. supposedly changes the wiring harness in the passenger door.

The easy way to differentiate the two harnesses are a 5 pin connector and a 3 pin connector. For power fold(pluss auto dim and heat) we need the 3 pin connector as its wired differently in the bulk head of the harness.

if you have the 3 pin harness you simply need to swap the mirrors and the window switch controller. pluss coding in the features
      10-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

OP, I see you're over in the UK. Was this for a LHD car or RHD?

Not sure if that matters anyways. From what you're saying the harness on the mirror switch should already be LIN activated. Then all I would need is the passenger door (right side) loomfor a 3pin setup and run the two extra pins as per your instructions.

I have manual seats, non-memory, non-folding, non-dimming power adjustable mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:06 AM   #17
E90Aziz
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320d 2006

Quote:
Hey, yeah sorry for beeing away for a while, You do need the mirrors for the button to do anything. ill see to write up a tutorial. Im currently retrofitting power seats with memory(Heated, bolsters and lumbar) Ill take some more pictures when i finish that.

But other then that ill do some in depth explanation on the coding
Hey

I just bought a lot of parts from a scrap car, including heated powerfolding mirrors, and fully powered sports seats with memory/lumbar and so on. I'm looking very much forward for your tutorial, since I have no clue on how to proceed, and i just want to get everything installed in the car. I've searched a lot for schematics on the wiring and coding, but can't seem to find any writeup that covers the project I'm looking to do.

Does anyone have an answer to whether this writeup (from a RHD) is the exact same as a LHD?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

I have just a quick question will e87 mirrors work on an Lci e90?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:35 AM   #19
spasimir96
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport 2006 bmw

Any chance of someone helping me with the write up of a full tutorial when it comes to coding in the folding and heated mirrors on an 2006 e90?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #20
Nel2014
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

I can try and help if you like
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #21
spasimir96
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport 2006 bmw

I followed the wiring install and that's all completed but I don't understand where to input the $313 code into the cas module really new to ncsexpert? I understand how to switch on the key operation of the mirrors but not how to change them to activate the linbus
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 01:02 PM   #22
99BrandonE90
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90

Can this be done with bimmer code?
Appreciate 0