E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW e92 aftermarket unit

02-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
thomth
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i

BMW e92 aftermarket unit

Since 2 months I drive a BMW 325i E92 from 2007. Very nice car but it lacks any modern navigation of bluetooth possibilities. When I need navigation I use my phone with a adapter on the window. I can play music via the aux cable in the armrest. I don't think that that solutions fit the car. So thats why I am looking for a aftermarket headunit with Apple Carplay. After searching I found these units:

- Dynavin N7; will be around 1000 euros with the CarPlay adapter. The priciest unit
- Avin USA 10.25 unit: needs cutting in dashboard but I think its the nicest unit. Any options to mount it on the dashboard like the Nexus 7 mount? Around 450 euros with iDrive controller and Apple CarPlay adapter
- Avin USA N3 unit: around 400 euros with CarPlay adapter but lacks iDrive controller
- Eonon GA9265B unit: cheapest option

What do you recommend? What are the main differences in quality and functions in the devices?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Dynavin attempts to give you audio quality with
upgraded electronics in the audio circuits.
Also they are known to do support and software upgrades.

Most of the Avin stuff piggybacks on the existing hardware
and uses the AUX as an Input. The aux on a BMW is noted
to be a Low Fi input.

Better sound comes from better amps amp/dsp's and better
speakers for the the most part.

Don't know if any of these have an idrive controller.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
ChrisXIII
Rep
Drives: E92 330i N52

I am in the process of installing the GA9265B right now. It does all the things you need and works well. Functionality wise it is great, does everything and hasn't thrown me any errors (Like SOS which people commonly report so maybe they fixed it in the newer unit?).

The fit is a bit more of an issue with this one and is the only reason i'm still in the process of installing it. It is in the car however it is just not a perfect fit at the bottom and requires a bit of shaving/trimming of parts to fit flush but its easy to identify the issues and work out what needs doing. Just waiting for the weekend to pull it out and get it in there permanently.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

The 9265B is a crazy deal right now, too. Only $250 USD on eBay until March 8. So tempted to try it out at that price but I need the MOST converter box for another $120. Not sure how much the audio quality will be affected by that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisXIII View Post
I am in the process of installing the GA9265B right now. It does all the things you need and works well. Functionality wise it is great, does everything and hasn't thrown me any errors (Like SOS which people commonly report so maybe they fixed it in the newer unit?).

The fit is a bit more of an issue with this one and is the only reason i'm still in the process of installing it. It is in the car however it is just not a perfect fit at the bottom and requires a bit of shaving/trimming of parts to fit flush but its easy to identify the issues and work out what needs doing. Just waiting for the weekend to pull it out and get it in there permanently.
The instructions say to trim the brackets as well, no? I thought this was well documented. Did you also have to buy the MOST converter (ie. do you have base audio or HK/L7)?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
ChrisXIII
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
The 9265B is a crazy deal right now, too. Only $250 USD on eBay until March 8. So tempted to try it out at that price but I need the MOST converter box for another $120. Not sure how much the audio quality will be affected by that.
The instructions say to trim the brackets as well, no? I thought this was well documented. Did you also have to buy the MOST converter (ie. do you have base audio or HK/L7)?
Mine was the standard HIFI so I didn't have to buy the MOST convertor. I believe this is just for the cars with the logic stereo or something? All I knew from my research was you need it if you have a speaker in the middle of your dash.

With regards to the trimming there is a bit more than trimming the brackets to get a good fit. You also have to remove the metal clips to the sides of the Climate Control unit and shave down those tabs which doesn't match their instructions, If you followed their instructions it would stick out an inch at the bottom.

Mine is currently out at the bottom by a cm but for some reason my climate control unit has a protruding round part at the bottom which is hitting the Eonon frame and will require some trimming of the frame and the foam/vinyl/frame of the car. All of which isn't visible but I believe I can get it to fit inset to the dash or at least flush at the bottom.

Other issues im encountering:

• Supplied Screws for fixing to dash are the wrong size so I need to find some new ones, not even worth discussing with them as its well documented and not worth the hassle to deal with them for screws.
• A bit of foam/vinyl inside could be removed to improve fit
• Sound of radio is poor, I believe it requires the DAB adaptor from eonon to improve this which I may buy but when i play songs from Youtube/Spotify the audio is better than stock by far and suffers from less distortion at higher volumes.

I'm aiming to do my trimming this weekend so I will try to take detailed pics and explain but you are right for the price the new Eonon is a great deal if you are willing to do some modifications.
      02-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I see. Doesn't seem like much of a deal breaker with respect to the relatively minor fitment issues. I think the radio thing is for UK users, we don't have DAB here in North America as far as I know.

Good to hear it's boosted your SQ. Hopefully it's similar with the most converter minimally impacting the signal quality.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomth View Post
Since 2 months I drive a BMW 325i E92 from 2007. Very nice car but it lacks any modern navigation of bluetooth possibilities. When I need navigation I use my phone with a adapter on the window. I can play music via the aux cable in the armrest. I don't think that that solutions fit the car. So thats why I am looking for a aftermarket headunit with Apple Carplay. After searching I found these units:

- Dynavin N7; will be around 1000 euros with the CarPlay adapter. The priciest unit
- Avin USA 10.25 unit: needs cutting in dashboard but I think its the nicest unit. Any options to mount it on the dashboard like the Nexus 7 mount? Around 450 euros with iDrive controller and Apple CarPlay adapter
- Avin USA N3 unit: around 400 euros with CarPlay adapter but lacks iDrive controller

What do you recommend? What are the main differences in quality and functions in the devices?
I have the Dynavin 7. Great radio. Only draw back is that Apple Play module is $299.00. I didn't get that for this reason. The radio is very functional with an iPhone w/ out having apple play.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:55 AM   #8
ChrisXIII
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
I see. Doesn't seem like much of a deal breaker with respect to the relatively minor fitment issues. I think the radio thing is for UK users, we don't have DAB here in North America as far as I know.

Good to hear it's boosted your SQ. Hopefully it's similar with the most converter minimally impacting the signal quality.
Here are some tricks for a good fit on the eonon and pics of the fit I just posted in anther thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1322386&page=3
      03-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
Damaskus325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328ix sport package

Here is what I recommend. PAC RP4.2-BM21 wiring interface. Crutchfield says it doesn't fit, but it does. I am using it with my Alpine 149BT. Keeps your chimes and steering wheel controls. Super easy to install. Here is link.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-oBRHUt...Interface.html

And the Alpine iLX-w650 head unit. Looks like it has all of your needs for a reasonable price. Alpine has been making high quality head units for years. Here is a link.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...-iLX-W650.html
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
Juanba88
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325i 2007

Hello I just bought the new eonon GA9265B but when I turn it off and on the screen don't show the bmw logo and take me straight to the radio music do you have this problem???
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #11
Juanba88
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325i 2007

Hello I just bought the new eonon GA9265B and when I turn it off and on it won't show the bmw logo and take me straight to the radio music do you have the same problem??
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanba88 View Post
Hello I just bought the new eonon GA9265B and when I turn it off and on it won't show the bmw logo and take me straight to the radio music do you have the same problem??
Ummmm much. You realize this is a guy asking which to buy. use the search function, there are entire threads about the eonon
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #13
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomth View Post

Ive been looking into some of these options... The Avin (and similar) units have very questionable quality. I like the idea of piggy backing... using the stock system is fine for now.... I even like cutting the dash and having an i drive controller, so that your eyes stay up towards the road. But the quality is lacking. Using the BMW Aux in just OK. Now I believe there is a Piggyback version of one of theses AVIN sytle units that uses the Sat radio input or the CD changer input (optical MOST loop) so it should theoretically have much better quality

In the end, the Dynavin, looks the best from a fit and finish standpoint and has the best support and sound quality. Nice, even, ballanced outputs on the dynavin make it the clear winner from an integration standpoint.
Appreciate 0