E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Swirflap size & advice required



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
BMW33
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: Bmw 3 series e90
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: lancashire

iTrader: (0)

Swirflap size & advice required

Hi all, after some advice with regards to swirlflaps. The motor in question is a 325d 2011 N57 I believe.

What is the process of removing the swirflaps?

What size blanks would I need?

Any ideas where I could buy the blanks from? Ideally the metal ones

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Andy198712
Captain
101
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

No blanks needed.
Intake off which is a bit of a pain but there is a bmw guide.
The motor comes off (photograph the little linkage before so you can refit it right)
Pull out the long spindle which is tricky but it will come out, mole grips and hammer.
Then the flaps which are red actually spheres will come out, then put the gromet for the motor back in and reconnect the motor up to nothing and your down.
The motor still moves and thinks itís moving flaps but isnít so no code and no blanks needed.
Thereís a good video on YouTube actually and a bmw how to.

Does that help?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Major
94
Rep
1,144
Posts

Drives: e92 335d coupe e90 saloon 330d
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: northumberland

iTrader: (0)

what if they are leaking?surely gaskets are a good idea..i bought the whole set at once,,blanks and 12 gaskets,,although mine is m57..ie 335d,,,my 330d was done with blanks but do not know if they fitted gaskets also
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:59 AM   #4
BMW33
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: Bmw 3 series e90
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: lancashire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
No blanks needed.
Intake off which is a bit of a pain but there is a bmw guide.
The motor comes off (photograph the little linkage before so you can refit it right)
Pull out the long spindle which is tricky but it will come out, mole grips and hammer.
Then the flaps which are red actually spheres will come out, then put the gromet for the motor back in and reconnect the motor up to nothing and your down.
The motor still moves and thinks itís moving flaps but isnít so no code and no blanks needed.
Thereís a good video on YouTube actually and a bmw how to.

Does that help?
Thanks for your response, so I'm guessing the spindle goes back into the same place once the flaps have been removed. Would the flaps not require blanking at all? Would having nothing there cause any issues? Would you have the link to the video? I've had a look but can't seem to find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:00 AM   #5
BMW33
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: Bmw 3 series e90
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: lancashire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
what if they are leaking?surely gaskets are a good idea..i bought the whole set at once,,blanks and 12 gaskets,,although mine is m57..ie 335d,,,my 330d was done with blanks but do not know if they fitted gaskets also
I think I may do the seals whilst I'm at it as there is a bit of a leak that I have noticed oil residue on the drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:15 AM   #6
stampylove
Private First Class
15
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: E91 325d lci 2010
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW33 View Post
Hi all, after some advice with regards to swirlflaps. The motor in question is a 325d 2011 N57 I believe.

What is the process of removing the swirflaps?

What size blanks would I need?

Any ideas where I could buy the blanks from? Ideally the metal ones

Thanks
If your car is a manual it doesn't have swirl flaps.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #7
BMW33
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: Bmw 3 series e90
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: lancashire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampylove View Post
If your car is a manual it doesn't have swirl flaps.
It's an automatic
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
stampylove
Private First Class
15
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: E91 325d lci 2010
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW33 View Post
It's an automatic
Read up on the removal first as there can be problems with codes and loss of low down torque. Speak to BW Chip tuning if you can. Not promoting them just they know everything about them.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
sirleeofroy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
60
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Buckinghamshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampylove View Post
If your car is a manual it doesn't have swirl flaps.
Sorry but that is not true, the intake manifold which incorporates the swirl flaps is the same regardless of whether the N57 Engine is fitted with a manual or automatic transmission, there is also literally no difference between the 325D and 330D in terms of mechanical specification, it's just a software difference for performance.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=11618511363
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
stampylove
Private First Class
15
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: E91 325d lci 2010
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Sorry but that is not true, the intake manifold which incorporates the swirl flaps is the same regardless of whether the N57 Engine is fitted with a manual or automatic transmission, there is also literally no difference between the 325D and 330D in terms of mechanical specification, it's just a software difference for performance.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=11618511363
I know the difference between the 325d and 330d N57 bigger front discs and different map. I've had the 325d M57 manual and it came out of the factory without swirl flaps. I asked the OP to read up as there's a bit of conjecture on the forum. See link which is where I read re the N57 flaps. But like you said best way to check is realoem.



https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...ility-t468889/
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #11
rasa bmw
Major
94
Rep
1,144
Posts

Drives: e92 335d coupe e90 saloon 330d
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: northumberland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampylove View Post
I know the difference between the 325d and 330d N57 bigger front discs and different map. I've had the 325d M57 manual and it came out of the factory without swirl flaps. I asked the OP to read up as there's a bit of conjecture on the forum. See link which is where I read re the N57 flaps. But like you said best way to check is realoem.



https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...ility-t468889/
bloke called aaron court on facebook,,bmw specialist has posted a n57 manifold this week with failed swirl flaps..ill see if i can find it
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #12
stampylove
Private First Class
15
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: E91 325d lci 2010
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
bloke called aaron court on facebook,,bmw specialist has posted a n57 manifold this week with failed swirl flaps..ill see if i can find it
Got mine booked in on the 11th to remove them.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #13
stampylove
Private First Class
15
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: E91 325d lci 2010
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
bloke called aaron court on facebook,,bmw specialist has posted a n57 manifold this week with failed swirl flaps..ill see if i can find it
Out of interest Rasa have you read anything on the 325d lci manual not having swirl flaps?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #14
Andy198712
Captain
101
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampylove View Post
I know the difference between the 325d and 330d N57 bigger front discs and different map. I've had the 325d M57 manual and it came out of the factory without swirl flaps. I asked the OP to read up as there's a bit of conjecture on the forum. See link which is where I read re the N57 flaps. But like you said best way to check is realoem.



https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...ility-t468889/
i'm not so sure about the bigger disc thing.

it all depends on the model, the 330D N57 AND 325D N57 came with 330x24 OR 348x30
depends if you had a "For vehicles with
Usable load increase" it seems

see link for 330D

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=34_1475

and 325d

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=34_1475

unless they fall apart the swirl flaps** can't fall in the engine

on the N57 they're actually a sphere not a flap. a MUCH better design in terms of safety for the engine.

the N57 is different in many ways so sadly very little is relevant between the two
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
Andy198712
Captain
101
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampylove View Post
Out of interest Rasa have you read anything on the 325d lci manual not having swirl flaps?
lift up your engine cover and take a look for the motor on the end of the manifold. there's one for sale in the for sale section at the minute so you know what your looking for

item number 3

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4259
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #16
stampylove
Private First Class
15
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: E91 325d lci 2010
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
lift up your engine cover and take a look for the motor on the end of the manifold. there's one for sale in the for sale section at the minute so you know what your looking for

item number 3

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4259
Thanks Andy mines an Auto and has them fitted and booked in to be removed which I was aware of when I picked up my car. M57 and N57 very different engines
for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #17
stampylove
Private First Class
15
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: E91 325d lci 2010
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
i'm not so sure about the bigger disc thing.

it all depends on the model, the 330D N57 AND 325D N57 came with 330x24 OR 348x30
depends if you had a "For vehicles with
Usable load increase" it seems

see link for 330D

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=34_1475

and 325d

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=34_1475

unless they fall apart the swirl flaps** can't fall in the engine

on the N57 they're actually a sphere not a flap. a MUCH better design in terms of safety for the engine.

the N57 is different in many ways so sadly very little is relevant between the two
That's really interesting re the disc size here's me stupidly thinking mine were smaller to the 330 and the difference being on the load. Spent a while checking the specs on the brakes but not on the realoem site big mistake lots of wrong info out there. So I'm guessing the Msport has the bigger discs?
On the swirl flaps Rasa mentioned them failing on an N57 causing damage which begs the question has bmw not sorted that original problem. Thanks to you and sirleofroy for enlightening me.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
Andy198712
Captain
101
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

see i don't even know if its different on the M sport, maybe if you had the Performance Brakes packed from factory option list.... but i'm guessing here.

early 325d which had the M57 2.5 engine may have smaller discs etc.

N57 failures are rare for flaps, i've not seen any online yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #19
stampylove
Private First Class
15
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: E91 325d lci 2010
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
see i don't even know if its different on the M sport, maybe if you had the Performance Brakes packed from factory option list.... but i'm guessing here.

early 325d which had the M57 2.5 engine may have smaller discs etc.

N57 failures are rare for flaps, i've not seen any online yet.
Swirl flap failure was mentioned in this thread by Rasa but not seen anything myself. I asked 2 bmw indi's nr me about removal and one has done quite a few and the other hadn't done any but had cleaned the manifolds and flaps when they were clogged and throwing codes on quite a few.
I'm booked to have my done next week but only as a precautionary measure for peace of mind with my car being on 110000.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:37 AM   #20
Andy198712
Captain
101
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

mine throw up a code. basically couldn't complete its full range of movement so i removed them and refitted the motor, the motor bungs the hole left and acts as a blank,
now the motor move so the DME is happy but there are no flaps.

at 80k miles i got about a third of a cup of carbon out of the manifold and egr which really wasn't much given the size of the thing!


another strange thing on these cars, the rear brakes are bigger then the front!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #21
rasa bmw
Major
94
Rep
1,144
Posts

Drives: e92 335d coupe e90 saloon 330d
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: northumberland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
see i don't even know if its different on the M sport, maybe if you had the Performance Brakes packed from factory option list.... but i'm guessing here.

early 325d which had the M57 2.5 engine may have smaller discs etc.

N57 failures are rare for flaps, i've not seen any online yet.
no such thing as a 2.5d engine in m57..was a detuned 3.0d engine
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #22
rasa bmw
Major
94
Rep
1,144
Posts

Drives: e92 335d coupe e90 saloon 330d
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: northumberland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
mine throw up a code. basically couldn't complete its full range of movement so i removed them and refitted the motor, the motor bungs the hole left and acts as a blank,
now the motor move so the DME is happy but there are no flaps.

at 80k miles i got about a third of a cup of carbon out of the manifold and egr which really wasn't much given the size of the thing!


another strange thing on these cars, the rear brakes are bigger then the front!
discs are but caliiper are not..so fronts have more stopping power
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST