E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 320d advice

02-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
chrissyw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320d M Sport

E90 320d advice

Had a hesitation issue on my 320d, on and off for a good few months now.

Firstly I fitted a new MAF, the issue went away for a bit but it doesn't particularly rev freely from 1500 up to around 3,000 rpm when I get literally a shove and the engine revs properly but then naturally runs out of puff not long after.

Noticed some oil on the drive so whipped the engine covers off and there is oil literally pouring out of my egr delete. It's no longer stainless on the inside.

I tididied it all up, and decided to check the MAP sensor which was absolutely covered in oil, as is the back of the inlet manifold where the MAP sits. I sprayed it out throughly with electrical contact spray and took it for a blast. It pulls better now but half an hour in, I got the 'surge' again, only once mind. So I'm going to whip the intake manifold off next weekend, give it a new clean and fit a new MAP.

I've got 2 questions.

Firstly, this oil leak. I changed the breather to a vortex about 4 years ago which should be a lifetime product. Has it possible failed? The turbo was reconditioned at 70k, it's now on 155k. It looks brand new impeller wise, slight bit of oil on the air intake side of the turbo, no smoke underload so it's making me think it's not the turbo seals that's the issue.

Secondly, I want to do the swirl flaps. How do I remove the cables that run over the manifold so I can lift it off?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

If you've removed the MAP sensor and found a build up of oil, chances are you'll remove the intake manifold & find it has a heavy build up of carbon deposits inside, this would also be noticeable on the intake ports down to the inlet valves. This can lead to a hesitation & considerable lack of performance. If this is the case you need a decoke (walnut blast carrying out - having seen the before and after affects and also felt the change when driving car it is something I do recommend)
      02-13-2019, 03:49 AM   #3
chrissyw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5GKP View Post
If you've removed the MAP sensor and found a build up of oil, chances are you'll remove the intake manifold & find it has a heavy build up of carbon deposits inside, this would also be noticeable on the intake ports down to the inlet valves. This can lead to a hesitation & considerable lack of performance. If this is the case you need a decoke (walnut blast carrying out - having seen the before and after affects and also felt the change when driving car it is something I do recommend)

Yep, there's oil everywhere.

When I deflap it, i'll give the manifold a good clean.

Should the worst happen, and something fall down one of the inlet ports, how deep are they?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

id check all the vacuum lines..turbo/egr etc
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Everything should stay in place if you're gentle when removing. It's the stupid vacuum pipe thing that clips into the pollen filter tray that gets in the way. Makes it tricky as you need to lift the manifold up, and then bring it towards you underneath those pipes..

The 8 bolts are captive, but the nuts aren't.
Also as a tip, remove the clipped in rubber bit the strut brace passes through, as this will give you a few mms more clearance on the manifold removal.

Soak the manifold in a deep bath of warm water and 1kg of Caustic soda crystals overnight to remove all the oil and carbon.

Wash through thoroughly with water afterwards and it will be like new inside. (Very messy though, and wear gloves!!)
Appreciate 0