E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > '06 325i Auto will only idle - no repsonse to throttle

03-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
BimmerM3_in_GA
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/4/5, E39 528iT Sport

'06 325i Auto will only idle - no repsonse to throttle

A coworker has a 2006 325i with 90K-ish miles and is having a weird problem. Since I seem to be the go-to guy for BMW problems, she asked me to look into it.

The car starts and runs fine. But if it's in Park or Neutral, there is no response from the engine room when pressing on the gas pedal. I can floor it and it will just idle. If I put it into Drive or Reverse, the engine will load up and start to chug and ping, but still doesn't respond to the gas pedal in any way.

If this we an E36 or E46, I would throw a new fuel filter on it and see if that helps. But that's not exactly trivial on an E90, so I want to try to learn more about what's actually going on before I start throwing parts at it.

I don't know if this is relevant, but about 6 months ago she went through a car wash and shortly afterward the fuse for the fuel pump blew and stranded her. I found the blown fuse and replaced it and the car has run fine ever since. Until now. Could this new problem be related somehow to the fuel pump fuse blowing? Was that a warning sign?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0