E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > "No Warning Tones" to constant ear splitting radio static

01-11-2024, 02:38 PM   #1
Y0sH
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2013 Convertible

"No Warning Tones" to constant ear splitting radio static

Ok so first off my radio has been making odd whining sounds lately. Fast forward to a few days ago the sound went completely out (gong sounds, seatbelt etc all completely silent). When I get in the car I get a error saying "No warning tones" but I DON'T have the Sos phone symbol that I've seen online.

There was no sound until today. I drove it this morning in silence as normal as of a few days ago. A couple hours I go to my car and unlock the door and my car is making an extremely loud radio static noise but only on the right side. But my phone connects and I can play music but the extremely loud radio static noise persists on the right side of the car. The car doesn't even have to be started as I can press the unlock button on my key fob then the car immediately starts the loud radio static noises.

I've checked fuses yesterday as well as look and see if the optical cord under the steering wheel area shows a red light ( it does) but I can't locate the amplifier. I have the S688 Harman/Kardon Surround Sound System. BMW 335i 2013 Convertible M sport

Any help would be great thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 04:17 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

All the gongs come through the radio .
Has it been raining?

Same procedure as this
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2074175
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 04:28 PM   #3
Y0sH
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2013 Convertible

Thanks for the response. I've been able to tinker with it a bit and it seems that I found the combox in my trunk on the passenger side and unplugged it and that stops the noise. I get the "No warning tones" on my dash again ofcourse. The optical cable has the red light going into the device as well. It has been raining non stop lately, I don't know where the amplifier is located on my car this is a 2013 335i convertible and it seems to be a little different than the videos.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:18 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Yeah if you break the Most Bus at any point it will stop the sound but it doesn't
mean the module you unplugged it from is the bad one.

Why don't you try reading the links inside Link .

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2074175

screaming audio sounds indicate the amp has drowned or gone bad.

convertible leak points
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...fllgpkJ-Ey8n-v

Last edited by ctuna; 01-11-2024 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 05:57 AM   #5
GSB
Electronics Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe (N54 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0sH View Post
Ok so first off my radio has been making odd whining sounds lately. Fast forward to a few days ago the sound went completely out (gong sounds, seatbelt etc all completely silent). When I get in the car I get a error saying "No warning tones" but I DON'T have the Sos phone symbol that I've seen online.

There was no sound until today. I drove it this morning in silence as normal as of a few days ago. A couple hours I go to my car and unlock the door and my car is making an extremely loud radio static noise but only on the right side. But my phone connects and I can play music but the extremely loud radio static noise persists on the right side of the car. The car doesn't even have to be started as I can press the unlock button on my key fob then the car immediately starts the loud radio static noises.

I've checked fuses yesterday as well as look and see if the optical cord under the steering wheel area shows a red light ( it does) but I can't locate the amplifier. I have the S688 Harman/Kardon Surround Sound System. BMW 335i 2013 Convertible M sport

Any help would be great thanks!!
I have an E92 335i Coupe, and I've experienced similar, ear-splitting crackling and static, in all of the speakers at once, not just on the right side. It would start after unlocking the car, whether the radio (or the ignition) was turned on or not. Then days later... complete silence... no gongs and no audio from any input source. I read so many posts that recommended reseating the connectors at the radio head-unit and at the amplifier, and if that didn't work, replacement of the head-unit and/or the amplifier would be required. Well, that is NOT necessarily true!!

Alarmingly, there are other potential causes that seem totally unrelated to the audio system. In my car, it was the "Roof Function Center" (FZD) console. I drive with my sunroof open a lot, and over time, combustion pollutants and dampness/humidity began contaminating that circuit board. It didn't cost me a cent to fix, just a bunch of time to open it up and clean the circuit board and its switch contacts with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth. The audio system immediately came back to life, and has worked flawlessly ever since.

Here's my experience... https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1#post30855181
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:30 PM   #6
GSB
Electronics Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe (N54 6MT)

Exclamation Another Frustrating Cause (and Fix) for the Audio Glitches!

After weeks of audio perfection, I used my BimmerGeeks ProTool diagnostics app to scan for error codes and clear them. All codes cleared fine, and a rescan returned no error codes. However, I noticed that the audio from the radio suddenly began to cut out randomly. This affected the chimes/gongs too. The intermittent nature of the audio might indicate a loose connection somewhere, so I reseated connectors at the head-unit and at the amplifier in the trunk. No change. In fact, the audio became more and more intermittent until it was completely gone. Again, the front display and all radio controls were working, just no audio. I unplugged the key-fob, locked and unlocked the car, turned the radio on and off, but no change. Eventually, the radio on/off button quit working, and the radio seemed to be off for good.

The next morning, as I unlocked the car, the ear-splitting popping, crackling and crashing sounds came back with a vengeance. Still no gongs and no music from the sound system, just horrendous crackling, which continued whether the radio was turned on or off. I couldn't drive with the painful crescendo of sound, and I was afraid that my speakers might blow up, so I just locked the car and walked away. The horrific noise continued inside the car for a long time.

The next day, I tried to investigate further. The static fired up the instant I unlocked the car. I checked connections one more time, then used the ProTool app to scan for error codes again. Perfectly clean. I navigated to the "Radio System" in the list of available processor modules. I ran another code scan on the radio system alone and it came back error-free. Next, I tried running "Live Data" on all available functions in the radio module. As I hit the "Confirm" button, INSTANTLY, the static stopped, the audio returned to perfectly normal, and full control was restored to the head-unit!

It seemed that something very fishy was going on with the ProTool app. Scanning and clearing codes seemed to trigger the abnormal behavior from the radio, and running live data had fixed it. Unfortunately, a couple days later, the sound disappeared again. So I tried that last trick with the ProTool app, but it was unsuccessful. In fact, the "Amplifier" module suddenly disappeared from the list of devices in the ProTool app. Running a code scan returned "No Errors", simply because it couldn't even see the amp as a device to check. This led me to open up the amp...

UPDATE: It turns out that my Logic 7 Amplifier was the ultimate cause. Previous water infiltration had left corrosion and mineral deposits on the circuit board. That corrosion was not enough to kill the amp, but it certainly impacted the high-speed signal integrity on the processor board, making its communication intermittent and unreliable, even dependent on the weather, as humidity affects the conductivity of the deposits.

I've repaired the amp and detailed the process here... DIY: How to Save Your Electronics After Water Infiltration or Contamination

Last edited by GSB; 03-19-2024 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0