E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 No Bluetooth MULF/MULF2 Replacement

03-16-2024, 07:54 PM   #1
mebs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Exclamation E90 No Bluetooth MULF/MULF2 Replacement

Hi all,
i have a 2005 e90 330i (With IDrive) and ive had a nagging bluetooth issue that i cannot seem to fix.

I have had a issue where under bluetooth on the settings i see 'bluetooth communications active please turn on bluetooth to pair' also the phone submenu is greyed out, also i have a cutting out audio, also my mulf unit does not seem to have a red light at the optical out

After all of the above faults i replaced my factory MULF unit with a MULF2 Unit following the a retrofit guide which seemed to solve the audio cutting out however i still do not have the bluetooth option.

I Have confirmed the following.
- MULF2 Has power and red light.
- The MOST Ring seems to be working, the lights are flashing and a ista test confims the MOST Ring is intact however ISTA does not detect the MULF2 Unit (Did not detect the mulf unit either), also under a most ring test it tells me that the car rollout has a mulf unit however it is not present in the most ring.

The MULF2 Unit is from a 2010 bmw and my car is a 2005 bmw with the known idling issues from the old software update, this probbaly means my car has older software. Could having older updates mean the car cant connect with a 2010 MULF 2 unit?

If anyone has any help please do let me know, its my first car aimed as a fixer up project so im not too well versed in bmws inner workings.

Another thing i noticed the return on the mulf unit optical lead had a big kink, i managed to pull out the spare optical cable for a optional cd changer and next to the rear passenger seats i found the most distribution block, i disconnected the mulfs optical cable and managed to bypass it so it runs like HU -> CD Changer (This cable is plugged into the mulf unit (i pulled the cd changer plug off and used the mulf unit plug so it can be used in the mulf unit)) -> HU (return) I confimed in ISTA that the most ring is intact and saved the configuration however the bluetooth issue still persists
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 02:16 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you need to run informational job in INPA
it will show if your mulf if on car can bus.
if so, then you need to upgrade headunit software
during this upgrade the CCC may die due its age and complexity
so another way is to get 2008 MY year CCC from junkyard, it will already support MULF2 options and only have to be coded.
mebs0.00
      03-17-2024, 09:52 AM   #3
mebs
Registered
Rep

I see,
Thankyou very much I’ll give it a go
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:28 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I suspect there may be multiple software issued and maybe a hardware issue.
I thought that only the combox was capable of streaming bluetooth could be wrong on that .
You have to have the right firmware on the Head Unit and combox and it may have to be the last type of Idrive they used.
That option was not available in the year your car was built so you might
have to change the production date in the car when changing the VO
and reprogramming.

If you look at some of the threads for the Mulf 2 upgrade you have to change the production date temporarily just to get
the Mulf 2 usb option to work.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181654

I would also be looking on the idrive and coding sub forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:30 AM   #5
mebs
Registered
Rep

Hi there sorry no so I went from a mulf to a mulf2 unit, it’s the Bluetooth module for telematics. Capable only for phone calls, I went for the mul2 so I can also retrofit usb into the car, however i can’t pickup the mulf2 unit on ista meaning I can’t even program the unit at all, but yeah I’ll see if I can find someone to update the whole car anyways since I’ve been wanting to get the dme updated too
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 04:51 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The trouble may be that in that year there is a software lock such that
BMW does not allow the update . In order to fool the software into installing
options from later years you have to change the production date on the
car to get the software for the options you seek to download at all.

All updating will do is give the recent version of the firmware to modules already present
in the year the car was made.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 08:16 PM   #7
mebs
Registered
Rep

Hi guys update here for anyone who faces the same issue.
First of all thanks to everyone who helped me out.
I figured out it’s very hard to be be able to code the mulf2 unit into the car. As pre lci cars are unable to communicate through the can bus to the mulf2
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:07 AM   #8
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

it is not true,
i owned the e91 2006/11 man date with CCC headunit and successfully upgraded CCC firmware and later coded MULF2 high.
so as i said before, you need to upgrade CCC software, this will take up to 3-4 hours over K-Line cable so you need to have charger with continious 13.6V supply for that time
if you can rent ICOM, this upgrade will be in 30-50 mins via MOST interface
after that you can cod MULF2HIGH via OBD port