E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > " I am definitely keeping my car stock"

06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsontheflyer View Post
First of all, it is illegal, and secondly, your exhaust will smell pretty foul, like raw fuel vapors and rotten eggs.
Run a mix of e85. Problem solved and actually improved. It's like giving your car a good cologne.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #24
carlsontheflyer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, AW, 6MT of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
Run a mix of e85. Problem solved and actually improved. It's like giving your car a good cologne.
I thought e85 would make your exhaust smell like popcorn...
      06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
I think legality is out the door the second you "tune" your bmw. I don't know anyone that is abiding by the speed laws on a daily basis when you have that much power under your foot.

1st purchase for any car enthusiast should be a radar detector but that might be illegal for some of you goodie goodies too

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Change to NGK spark plugs # ILZKBR7A-8G . Have them gaped to 0.56mm (0.022″)

Make sure your car's DME has the latest software update, of course you will have to pay for this via the dealer but do your best to haggling them. (My personal recommendation)

Edit: As for what FMIC, it is highly recommended to get Helix
I was just planning on doing the accessport tune, not anything else. How do I know if my car has the latest software? Will I absolutely need the latest software if my car does not have it?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #27
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep

Is there a huge advantage to having a fmic? I really don't want to spend an extra thousand on something I don't really need.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pr0 View Post
Is there a huge advantage to having a fmic? I really don't want to spend an extra thousand on something I don't really need.
Need is perhaps a strong word But you need to decide what your power goals are. You might find you're happy with tune only. But Fmic makes a big difference if you're looking for more power. For instance Cobb stage 1+ Fmic is stronger than stage 2 due to upgraded intercooler. Oh and you don't have to spend $1k. Maybe $500-700 on a decent unit.
      06-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

That's possible. I have an 07 335i with ur catted downpipes. I have 25k on them and I've never thrown a cat related code. I've even driven it a week without the tune and nothing. I've heard that I won't pass smog. I know the cats are 200cell per UR so ill see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
FYI - no one that ever said they were going to leave their car stock ever did!

As for the downpipes, go catless - I did the catted ones and regret it - I did the AR ones so that I didn't have to mess around with the issues of throwing codes and getting my annual inspection, but apparently the AR catted pipes only worked with very early N54 software and later updates make the O2 sensor checks more strict and after about a year and a software upgrade, my car started setting cat codes, so I had to do the BMS downpipe fix. AR claims that the only high flow cats that won't set codes are crazy expensive - they will make downpipes with them, but price is 2k. If I did it again, would just get some $350 catless DP's and BMS downpipe fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
Need is perhaps a strong word But you need to decide what your power goals are. You might find you're happy with tune only. But Fmic makes a big difference if you're looking for more power. For instance Cobb stage 1+ Fmic is stronger than stage 2 due to upgraded intercooler. Oh and you don't have to spend $1k. Maybe $500-700 on a decent unit.
Dies the fmic make the engine run cooler? I mean is it something that will increase engine life and reliability with a tune, or is it just a performance mod?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #31
carlsontheflyer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, AW, 6MT of course!

Quote:
Dies the fmic make the engine run cooler? I mean is it something that will increase engine life and reliability with a tune, or is it just a performance mod?
It lowers the air intake temps, which makes the turbos job easier to produce the same amount of boost. That's the reason cars with forced induction run stronger in colder weather. Your turbos work less, and last longer.
      06-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #32
Ovitrix335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

It's better to run upgraded fmic and catless downpipes with increased boost. Turbos have less back pressure from the catless dps and less heat soak from an upgrade fmic = more fun/reliable
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #33
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

ROFL at the OP's thread title, yes those are typically the famous last words... if only I had a nickel for everytime I've heard or said that... hahahah.

Good luck with the mod bug bud.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
" I am definitely keeping my car stock"

For at least the next 6 month to 1 year since I'm broke at the moment...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #34
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Laughing at your thread title, see here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824184

That was what I said when I bought my car but I've been slowly trying to make it the perfect road trip car and it's pretty close.

To your question about tuning - definitely change the plugs, keep an eye on codes for the coils and replace as required, other than that just fix stuff as it breaks. The only actual failures I've had on my car in my short-ish ownership have been one fuel injector and the A/C needed to be vacuumed and recharged a few weeks ago. Other than that it's been surprisingly good. I say that because the service records from the PO are kind of shocking the amount of stuff that was done under warranty... but hey, I ended up with a nice car.

Edit: I suspect I may be due for a walnut blasting, that's really just mileage related not tune related though.

Last edited by N8N; 06-25-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #35
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsontheflyer View Post
It lowers the air intake temps, which makes the turbos job easier to produce the same amount of boost. That's the reason cars with forced induction run stronger in colder weather. Your turbos work less, and last longer.
+1. Also the reason it allows you to run more aggressive mapping is that as IAT's rise the DME will pull timing and reduced power overall. the upgraded fmic will avoid this condition. In addition, the piping tends to be less restrictive (less high angle bends) and thus less air turbulence which also contributes to a happier car. With something like stage 1 cobb OTS maps they are designed for the stock intercooler, so the car should be safe/reliable on them, but they are also very conservative tunes. but if you try to run say stage 1+fmic with the stock unit the car wouldn't be very happy.
      06-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #36
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I'll be checking back in a couple of months after Tennis is FBO and has spent a 3k in mods. And 2 years from now he's gonna be getting an upgraded suspension so he can properly power down. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #37
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
I was just planning on doing the accessport tune, not anything else. How do I know if my car has the latest software? Will I absolutely need the latest software if my car does not have it?
Dealer or Indy shop that has the ability, will be able to tell you if you have the latest software or not

Like I said "I think" it is something "essential" to be done "IMO". Their might be something that BMW found that needs correction in the OEM software. No, they don't tell you there is a new software.

More than likely the dealer will charge for this though, but again, this is my opinion, and not something necessary at this time

What is more important is changing your spark plugs which depends on the last time they were changed
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #38
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Dealer or Indy shop that has the ability, will be able to tell you if you have the latest software or not

Like I said "I think" it is something "essential" to be done "IMO". Their might be something that BMW found that needs correction in the OEM software. No, they don't tell you there is a new software.

More than likely the dealer will charge for this though, but again, this is my opinion, and not something necessary at this time

What is more important is changing your spark plugs which depends on the last time they were changed
good advice...also OP read and become familiar with the misfire sticky on the main N54 page...it might save you a lot of unnecessary posts should you encounter misfires. (FWIW I haven't but some on here do, particularly if their plugs and coilpacks need changing)
      06-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #39
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Hahaha. I totally feel you. I thought I would be content with the bmw ppk version 2 but nope. Gotta do more!!!!!!

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #40
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep

Well i called the dealership and my car had the spark plugs replaced at 31k (car has 35 on it now). So they were done literally right before I bought the car. The latest software is also in my car. So I should be good to go right?

I am really stretching my budget by spending 900 on the cobb tune, so the fmic will have to wait a while if I do get it. Is the car perfectly safe to run without the fmic and just the accessport tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #41
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Well i called the dealership and my car had the spark plugs replaced at 31k (car has 35 on it now). So they were done literally right before I bought the car. The latest software is also in my car. So I should be good to go right?

I am really stretching my budget by spending 900 on the cobb tune, so the fmic will have to wait a while if I do get it. Is the car perfectly safe to run without the fmic and just the accessport tune?
Yes if you run Stage 1 maps or protune for stock hardware.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #42
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep

I am reading, and it seems it is always recommended to get the fmic with the tune to keep engine temps down. Hmm...I definitely not looking to spend close to 2k on all this, so if that is the case I will hold off on the tune for a good while.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #43
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Who gives a fuck about legality, seriously. Stay stock if thats your first thought...
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #44
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am reading, and it seems it is always recommended to get the fmic with the tune to keep engine temps down. Hmm...I definitely not looking to spend close to 2k on all this, so if that is the case I will hold off on the tune for a good while.
again, you don't NEED an FMIC. Cobb stage 1 is designed for stock fmic. You just need to understand that you will make less power without an upgrade. If you're fine with that, then go for it. Cobb tune or JB4/Procede alone is a HUGE upgrade over the stock tune. It will feel like a new car, man. you can pick up an AP on here for $625-$650 used, and there's no reason to buy one new. you can always upgrade the other stuff later if you want, or not.