E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Top engine bath.

06-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Top engine bath.

-So way back when I was a GM master tech and I had a 96 Cadillac STS. The Northstar was a pretty complex engine (for it's time) and it also had many issues. One of those issues was valvetrain/intake carbon build up that caused issues like: missfires, valves sticking and cam lobe wear. To remedy this I started doing an "intake service" on my car every 10K. Basically you would start the car and pull a vacuum line of the intake and suck down a bottle of GM Top Engine Cleaner while raising the RPM's to around 2,500. After the bottle was empty you would shut the car off and let it sit for 5 + hours. Then you would start it up and go beat on it for a while. I pulled my engine apart at 75k to do the famous Northstar headgaskets (FML at that time) and the valves, intake and tops of the pistons looked almost new! I had pulled apart many of these engines and mine by a large margin was the cleanest...

-I know the N54 is nothing like a Northstar and is a DI engine but I wonder if running a bottle of top engine cleaner at the same interval would yeild any benifits? I currently run meth so I was thinking of just using it to spray the cleaner while reving to around 4k. My only concern would be hydrolock because the top engine cleaner is not as combustable as meth. I made a simple meth pump controller to activate and regulate pump speed to hopefully reduce the risk of pushing a rod out the side of the block.

-I did a DIY valve cleaning about 1K ago and I was able to get the valves pretty spotless (they were not too bad to start) so I think I may do this in about 9K miles and so on until I reach 50K miles (Im at 23k miles now). At that time I will pull it back apart to take a look, comparing the pictures I took last month 22k to 50k.

-Not wanting to waste time on something that has been tried before has anyone out there done something similar to this using some sort of top engine cleaner i.e GM TEC or Seafoam? Sorry for the long read but Im waiting for my students to finish their written final and Im bored out of my mind! Thanks...
Attached Images

06-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Bluesun
sudo su -
Rep
Drives: 2018 McLaren 570S Spider

I remember reading at least in a couple of places that it has been demonstrated that Seafoam and that line of cleansing products just doesn't get the job done. To the best of my knowledge walnut shell blasting is still the most effective and straight forward way to get it done.

Having said that, if you find something else that works just as well let me know -- I've been dragging my feet on this for awhile now. Starting to piece together what all I need to do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesun View Post
I remember reading at least in a couple of places that it has been demonstrated that Seafoam and that line of cleansing products just doesn't get the job done. To the best of my knowledge walnut shell blasting is still the most effective and straight forward way to get it done.

Having said that, if you find something else that works just as well let me know -- I've been dragging my feet on this for awhile now. Starting to piece together what all I need to do it myself.
-The DIY valve cleaning using gun brushes and carb cleaner isnt too bad to tackle. I made a walnut shell blasting set-up as well but after pulling apart the intake and looking at the valves I decided to go with the cleaner/brushes. My valves werent that bad though... Maybe the meth really does help with build-up?
-I understand that the top engine cleaner probably will not remove an excessive amount of gunk but maybe it will help prevent it from building up when used at regular intervals? Maybe I should add some to my meth mixture as well...? It would act like a "detergent" and possibly help to keep the valve clean as well. Im going to see if I can find out what the volalitility rating is for the TEC and make sure it will not reduce the performance of the meth.
      06-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Meth does help a little bit for sure. It helps even more if it's being used early in the engines life.

As far as using this product and going through the motions for little to no benefit, I woudn't bother.

I would just do an intake valve cleaning every 30K.

If your bored I got a Z06 that could use some new heads and cam.... come on by.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Meth does help a little bit for sure. It helps even more if it's being used early in the engines life.

As far as using this product and going through the motions for little to no benefit, I woudn't bother.

I would just do an intake valve cleaning every 30K.
Thanks for the reply Jeff! Im going to give it a go just to test it out... Probably won't help but it can't hurt (I hope). I am going to pull it apart at 50K to inspect the valve and if it does not work I'll just clean the valves at that time. Really want to find a way to prevent this buid-up from occuring in the first place!
      06-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
tcw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I used seafoam on my last two cars. It is always fun flooring it afterwards and clouding the street with smoke. I think the key is stalling the engine towards the end of the cleaning by fulling submersing the vacuum line in the seafoam that way valves are soaked as you let it sit for 30 minutes.
2008 335I E92, AW, VFF700, 18" Forgestar F14, M3 front/side, M-tech rear, AMS IC, H&R Touring Cup Kit suspension, HID AE, ER Charge Pipe & Synapse BOV, CIC Retrofit, Quafie, DSS, Defiv Lockdown, SPEC 2+/Steel SMFW, Walbro 450
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
Thanks for the reply Jeff! Im going to give it a go just to test it out... Probably won't help but it can't hurt (I hope). I am going to pull it apart at 50K to inspect the valve and if it does not work I'll just clean the valves at that time. Really want to find a way to prevent this buid-up from occuring in the first place!
Port fuel injection modification
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Port fuel injection modification
+1