E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Calluhan's E92 335D | Restoring to Factory Fresh | NEW! Lowering Springs and wheels!

03-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #23
Yellow_Belly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Im pretty sure you can get a different cover plate, the one which the 335i DCT uses.
I've looked before, but it has the sport button, which would be useless as my sport mode you just plonk the shifter to the left (auto) so the button would be pointless boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calluhan View Post
I thought the same mate. However, once fitted it really still looks oem. You can fit it and not connect the plug to the shift position connector so it doesn't light up on the car portion. I ended up reconnecting it as I prefer the look.
awesome thanks, I've been itching to get it for a long time now, after reading that you've made my mind up mate!
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #24
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Belly View Post
I've looked before, but it has the sport button, which would be useless as my sport mode you just plonk the shifter to the left (auto) so the button would be pointless boo

awesome thanks, I've been itching to get it for a long time now, after reading that you've made my mind up mate!
Nice one mate - I can vouch for the seller - Wayne.

The first one I had after a week or so the green position indicator became intermittent. I contacted him and he sent a new one out that day special delivery no questions asked - he asked me to return the faulty one to him RM first class recorded and refunded me my postage the next day as soon as he received it. Really top service.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #25
Kali
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d f10

Quote:
So I went out to my local Shell to fill the tank this morning. On the way back the rear of the car started to make a very loud groaning noise

With a head full of driveshaft and differential potential problems I nursed it home - it was pretty quiet below 30mph.

Got back on the drive - and all 5 bolts on the rear nearside wheel were loose!

Imagine my surprise and relief at the same time. Certain I had tightened them but I think it was the thin layer of paint left in the bolt hole that had caused the problem. Happy days!

Took the opportunity to have a little tidy up in there:

So lucky you didn't go fast mate! How did paint got in there?!

Also lovely car mate!!! Where did you buy those boot bag holders?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #26
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali View Post
So lucky you didn't go fast mate! How did paint got in there?!

Also lovely car mate!!! Where did you buy those boot bag holders?
Yes it was a close call mate - the paint was from the wheel refurb I did. Just cleaned all wheel bolt holes out to be sure. There is so much torque now I think that the car actually undid the bolts lol.

Ebay is your friend for bag holders - crazy price from VAG in UK. These are stamped and genuine VAG all the way from Chinaland

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2616408163...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here they are fitted:

Theyre fantastic.

Last edited by Calluhan; 03-23-2015 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #27
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Excellent bit of work and rebuilding. Always good when done by yourself too.

That was certainly lucky with the wheel, I've had similar once but was doing 80 on the M54 when felt something wasn't quite right..
      03-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #28
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

just bought that bag holder aswell for mine! steal. hope it will fit E93 though
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #29
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
just bought that bag holder aswell for mine! steal. hope it will fit E93 though
I have two fitted in my boot mate. You have to drill two small pilot holes then fit them with your own self tapping screws. Just take a look in your boot and look for 2 places to fit them
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #30
Yellow_Belly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D LCI

Quote:
Nice one mate - I can vouch for the seller - Wayne.

The first one I had after a week or so the green position indicator became intermittent. I contacted him and he sent a new one out that day special delivery no questions asked - he asked me to return the faulty one to him RM first class recorded and refunded me my postage the next day as soon as he received it. Really top service.
Awesome! thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #31
Martin80k
Rep
n/a
Drives:

so how much is on clock? i have the same car and nothing but problems..... can you say how much it took to remove the swirl flaps? i actually saw somebody having a valid argument against removing them, such as decreased power...
other than that, if you want the full restoration, the vacuum system is the weakest part on these cars, starting with the red hose, with those thinner hoses to and from the pressure converters that are also susceptible to failing, along with turbos.
actually, i am dealing now with the same issue, where i lost power again and the whole underneath of the car is oily, and my mechanic said the turbo is gone from just by looking at it from the underneath and the the reason was that it was oily, i actually cancelled his work, and planning to do few things myself actually, including the MAF, MAP sensor, then the pressure converters, and also oil breather, along few other pipes as well...but i am quite inexperienced, so can you advise on the breather and red pipe hose change?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #32
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin80k View Post
so how much is on clock? i have the same car and nothing but problems..... can you say how much it took to remove the swirl flaps? i actually saw somebody having a valid argument against removing them, such as decreased power...
other than that, if you want the full restoration, the vacuum system is the weakest part on these cars, starting with the red hose, with those thinner hoses to and from the pressure converters that are also susceptible to failing, along with turbos.
actually, i am dealing now with the same issue, where i lost power again and the whole underneath of the car is oily, and my mechanic said the turbo is gone from just by looking at it from the underneath and the the reason was that it was oily, i actually cancelled his work, and planning to do few things myself actually, including the MAF, MAP sensor, then the pressure converters, and also oil breather, along few other pipes as well...but i am quite inexperienced, so can you advise on the breather and red pipe hose change?
Hi Martin - 152000 miles on the clock!

Bought it on purpose - a lot of work has already been done by the supplying dealer including all the vacuum hoses you mention!

Turbos are original and seem to be going strong - it spent its life on the motorway doing 20000 miles a year every year. I got a full printout of all work done too which is a real bonus.

What I saved on purchase price (it was a lot!) I have put in a fund in case stuff needs doing. Put it this way, I saved around £4000 on an equivalent car with half the miles with no work done. Plus I love to work on my cars so a new one is out of the question - I'd be bored with it

I read your posts about the problems you are having - you need to find a decent mechanic! I would be surprised if turbo has gone - however ebay here is full of twin turbos of low mileage cars for reasonable money so if worst came to worst it shouldnt break the bank.

As for the work ive done - the breather is really easy with engine cover off and the red hose you can see I have replaced with a better designed Forge one. That just takes patience and a few simple tools plus a bit of reading of guides on internet. I found it easier to remove the electric fan to gain more access. Like I said it just took a little patience
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #33
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Really good work may have to do my breather too.

That DTUK must make your car a monster. I had it on my previous 320D and the difference was huge. I can only tremer at the thought of what it can do to a 335D.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #34
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Really good work may have to do my breather too.

That DTUK must make your car a monster. I had it on my previous 320D and the difference was huge. I can only tremer at the thought of what it can do to a 335D.
Really pleased with it. I had a single channel box from Tuningkit before (for sale in the classifieds) which was excellent but the DTUK one has the edge. But then it was a LOT more expensive
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #35
tomwh85
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335d

I wish I had the balls to do half the stuff you have, I didn't mind getting my hands dirty on my other cars but this I just take it and pay somone to do it.

I've had my vac pipes replaced and bought the forge boost pipe. It's in for dpf removal and egr delete along with an exhaust and remap

Gearbox oil change is on the list, have you got a link to where you bought yours from?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #36
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwh85 View Post
I wish I had the balls to do half the stuff you have, I didn't mind getting my hands dirty on my other cars but this I just take it and pay somone to do it.

I've had my vac pipes replaced and bought the forge boost pipe. It's in for dpf removal and egr delete along with an exhaust and remap

Gearbox oil change is on the list, have you got a link to where you bought yours from?
It doesn't take balls mate - just a bit of confidence and making sure you take your time. It helps that I don't have to rely on the car so if its off the road for a few days theres no problem.

The gearbox oil change was straightforward but I put the car on 4 axle stands to keep it level. It was a little tight getting the pump fill tube in but a bit of patience goes a long way.

Then its just a case of following the ZF instructions, getting the box to the right temp and stirring the gears once up to temp - then top up the fluid - that being the most important part.

I bought the kit from:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-ZF-OEM...item27f8bd3210

There are cheaper kits using Meyle fluid but I wanted the ZF kit. Hope that helps mate?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #37
tomwh85
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335d

Quote:
It doesn't take balls mate - just a bit of confidence and making sure you take your time. It helps that I don't have to rely on the car so if its off the road for a few days theres no problem.

The gearbox oil change was straightforward but I put the car on 4 axle stands to keep it level. It was a little tight getting the pump fill tube in but a bit of patience goes a long way.

Then its just a case of following the ZF instructions, getting the box to the right temp and stirring the gears once up to temp - then top up the fluid - that being the most important part.

I bought the kit from:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-ZF-OEM...item27f8bd3210

There are cheaper kits using Meyle fluid but I wanted the ZF kit. Hope that helps mate?
Thanks for the link, no I'd rather go for that I'm not bothered about cheaper products just the right ones.

You make it sound easy lol, I do have access to another car but I don't get much spare time to play with it, I wish my missus would be as relaxed about it as yours sounds.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #38
bimmaguy
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 730d M Sport

Respect for doing all that work yourself!

Where did u buy the forge boost pipe from and how much as mine needs replacing?
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 02:20 AM   #39
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwh85 View Post
I wish my missus would be as relaxed about it as yours sounds.
My Mrs is great! To be fair the work I've shown here has been over a number of months - I'm not out in the garage every day - even I'd get bored of that!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 02:25 AM   #40
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmaguy View Post
Respect for doing all that work yourself!

Where did u buy the forge boost pipe from and how much as mine needs replacing?
From here mate:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forge-Moto...item4d1e3bbae5

To be honest, I found it ever so slightly short on the silicone part which made it a pig to fit. Other than that it looks like it should solve the oil misting problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #41
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

Do you have any photos of how the sat nav has been mounted ?
Thanks
Ryan
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #42
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwarriors9 View Post
Do you have any photos of how the sat nav has been mounted ?
Thanks
Ryan
Hi Ryan

I used one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Bought a 1mm thick sample sheet of aluminium off Ebay for 99p.

I then prised out the vent and shaped the aluminium so I could screw it to the vent tube that connects to the cars vent system - that gave me a solid mount. Then bent and shaped it to give me a platform to screw onto:

I needed shorter bolts but never got around to doing it as they cant be seen from any angle with the TomTom mounted.

I ran a cig. lighter extension from the wiring by the ashtray so it automatically charges with ignition on.

It's rock solid and is in the perfect position for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #43
ryanwarriors9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

Quote:
Hi Ryan

I used one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Bought a 1mm thick sample sheet of aluminium off Ebay for 99p.

I then prised out the vent and shaped the aluminium so I could screw it to the vent tube that connects to the cars vent system - that gave me a solid mount. Then bent and shaped it to give me a platform to screw onto:

I needed shorter bolts but never got around to doing it as they cant be seen from any angle with the TomTom mounted.

I ran a cig. lighter extension from the wiring by the ashtray so it automatically charges with ignition on.

It's rock solid and is in the perfect position for me.
pretty smart mate looks good
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #44
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

Excellent thread. Really like what you've done to your car
Call me a sad bugger,but as soon as I saw the bag holder I immediately bought 2 from the link.

Why did you integrate your own sat nav? You have it fitted already?
Appreciate 1