E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Strange Suspension Noise Only When Wet

08-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Strange Suspension Noise Only When Wet

Hey y'all,

Hoping someone can give me some ideas on where to investigate a strange suspension noise that seems to only appear at low speeds when the car is wet (ie, been driving in the rain). Noise will present over low speed bumps and also low speed turning.

No other obvious symptoms, car drives fine and feels solid otherwise. Tire wear is normal, no strange vibrations or shaking...just this weird noise.

The noise is a groan/click coming from the front end. Suspension is modified:

Bilstein B8 w/Supreme Power Lowering Perches
M3 bits
Adjustable sway bar links

My gut says it's something to do with the Supreme Power perches (did not install rubber damper on top of springs) or perhaps the washer stack on top of the strut was installed wrong, but wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences before I tear it all down and make guesses on what will fix it.
      08-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Make sure endlinks adjusted so no preload at static ride height and try greasing sway bar bushings as they dry and grab alot. You could try to spray teflon spray on springs see if changes sound at all If does get thrust sheets or torrington bearings so spring can rotate on compression.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Well, I pulled the struts off this weekend and replaced the Supreme Power perches with factory perches, I couldn't definitively locate the source of the noise, but it's gone now. Could have been something installed wrong/loose or may have been caused by the lowering perches. Figured I'd update the thread in case someone has a similar issue in the future.