E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > cold air intake or regular intake?

05-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #23
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
...Just from my COBB Stg. 1 + an aFe intake, I can hear my turbos spooling the second the boost has built up.

^ Which one of the million variations of the AFE intake do you have?

Im considering the sealed version, but i cant for the life of me see a benefit over stock+drop-in, really. And the "elite" version is just retarded. I might as well get the Gruppe-M.

Heat soak is only an issue for the first 1-2 sec off the line, so most likely ill end up with an Injen for sound + aesthetics, and upgrade my fmic later.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
DO NOT remove this. The cowl which holds a micro filter is to filter the air coming into the cabin. Unless you want gross ht air and nasty dust/dirt coming through your cab forget it.

As another member said, if you really wanna hear the turbo spool go DCI and go DownPipe. These two things will be automatic sex when you drive.

Oh, and don't forget the tune!
The higher the boost the better the orgasmic sound lol
You can run the microfilter without the cowl. I've been doing it for over a year with no problems. Sounds way better and I'm sure there is a slight heat difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0 View Post
^ Which one of the million variations of the AFE intake do you have?

Im considering the sealed version, but i cant for the life of me see a benefit over stock+drop-in, really. And the "elite" version is just retarded. I might as well get the Gruppe-M.

Heat soak is only an issue for the first 1-2 sec off the line, so most likely ill end up with an Injen for sound + aesthetics, and upgrade my fmic later.
Haha I've got the standard aFe intake (the "pro" DCI intake), was able to buy it used for $200. I couldn't justify spending opver $500 on a "sealed" intake that's not actually sealed:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=14

In addition, from what I've read it's much more important to get max airflow from your intake (cold air is a plus) and upgrade your FMIC to significantly reduce your IATs. I don't track or drag my car, but since I decided to go FBO and this is my DD, I decided to upgrade everything (from intake, to DPs to my CP + DVs) to make sure once I start running higher boost that I don't break down on the side of the road.

I know w/ the Injen intake, some people have had fitment issues when they upgrade their CP/DVs/BOVs , especially when people run meth. Just something to be conscious of.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you don't want to go the Dinan route, get the Stett or similar product as it is a true CAI. I've been running the Stett for over a year now and it does everything you want it to.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The majority of intakes in the engine bay with open filters will perform similarly. So its highly based on looks.

Obviously you want cold air and more air flow so an intake that does that would be the optimum choice, however, on a turbo platform the efficiency of your intercooler plays a role in your intake air temperatures too so upgrading that would behoove you a lot more in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #28
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:

The N54 aFe Stage 2 SI does product benefits over the stock+drop in. I know cause I tested it and posted the results:

What makes it even more interesting is that the test was done in more harsh weather condition than with the stock+K&N drop in filter..

The Elite version of the intake is to remove that last stock limitation and that is the stock snorkel

Quote:
Haha I've got the standard aFe intake (the "pro" DCI intake), was able to buy it used for $200. I couldn't justify spending opver $500 on a "sealed" intake that's not actually sealed:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=14
After my review of the stand alone and Elite version of the aFe Stage 2, aFePower did notify me that they will be releasing a gaskit kit for this current SI model intake.

Further more they are coming out with a new version that will be exclusively designed for high PSI use. It will also be completely sealed with no nead of gaskits and it will be bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
If you don't want to go the Dinan route, get the Stett or similar product as it is a true CAI. I've been running the Stett for over a year now and it does everything you want it to.
Stett and Dinan are not the ONLY true CAI products out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
After my review of the stand alone and Elite version of the aFe Stage 2, aFePower did notify me that they will be releasing a gaskit kit for this current SI model intake.

Further more they are coming out with a new version that will be exclusively designed for high PSI use. It will also be completely sealed with no nead of gaskits and it will be bigger.
^^^This is what I'll be saving my pennys for. Any idea on when to expect this?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^^^This is what I'll be saving my pennys for. Any idea on when to expect this?
From what I gathered it should be at the end of the year

Last edited by BQTuning; 05-21-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #31
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stett and Dinan are not the ONLY true CAI products out there.
Did I say they were? I mentioned them as points of reference.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i M-Sport

Quote:

Yup, i saw both of your review threads and the fact this was not "truly sealed"...which was dissapointing.

Regardless, as our vendor friend pointed out, fmic is the more important factor here, and is what i will focus my efforts and money on.

The main objective imho for intake, get air in faster and easier. IAT is a far second to this first objective. Let the fmic do the cooling job.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #33
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Neither.....follow my DIY:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549965
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #34
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, i saw both of your review threads and the fact this was not "truly sealed"...which was dissapointing.

Regardless, as our vendor friend pointed out, fmic is the more important factor here, and is what i will focus my efforts and money on.

The main objective imho for intake, get air in faster and easier. IAT is a far second to this first objective. Let the fmic do the cooling job.
I agree, I was the one who made it known it was not "truely sealed" which is correctly an enclosure. I was just as disapointed as you were, but worked around it. The facts stands it produces BETTER performance than stock+drop in filter does.

Yes FMIC is more important at this time for you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
This is also another great option, however a terrible option for those who have a 335iS
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #35
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
Did I say they were? I mentioned them as points of reference.
Ok my bad, misunderstood
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

Quote:
The N54 performance forum is about 97% useless threads going over the same shit (whats the best intake? whats the best tune? whats the best fmic?) and the other 3% is actually interesting shit (single turbo kit for N54 / new maps for tune / new product released by _______ ).
You have the highest fucken quality post there, sir!

Looking forward for the best fmic thread...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #37
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Octane View Post
You have the highest fucken quality post there, sir!

Looking forward for the best fmic thread...
Welcome to thread!! Now we can finally have a meaningful conversation since you've arrived.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #38
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0