E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > After my oil change, the car has been feeling a bit funny?

05-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Angry After my oil change, the car has been feeling a bit funny?

I recently did an oil change at my friend's workshop and this time around I used Mobil 1 0w-40 instead of the "recommended" Castrol GTX. I still decided to use an OEM filter because I feel like OEM catches the most amount of gunk. Well anyways, after I was done with the oil change, I drove on a highway/freeway for about 30 miles and the car was acting fine(just regular cruising, shifting at 3k rpm with no high revving action.) This morning, I woke up to come to work an I was in a position where I needed to push all the way to red line. After getting out of that situation, I began to cruise again. After needing to downshift to turn the corner, I noticed my throttle feeling looser and my revs didn't come down as quick. I started to worry that maybe it was the oil that was effecting my power. After getting to a stop light, I turned off my car completely and I turned it on again. After that, everything seemed okay. But my question is, is mobil 1 0w-40 too light for the conventional 5w-30? Or this isn't the problem? It felt like limp mode all over again but on a 328i. I remember hearing a feint pop in between my backfire that sounded very different than the tone of my backfires. I always race in my car but it never went into limp like this before (since I last kicked my car in to 8200 rpm and blew out my secondary cats.) What do you guys think the problem is? There are no lights and no codes for anything else besides my PDCs and my TPMS. BTW, I have a 2009 328i sedan with about 60,045 miles on it. Any input will be greatly appreciated
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

It's probably not the oil. It's just in your head. Just make sure your fluid is topped off.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
It's probably not the oil. It's just in your head. Just make sure your fluid is topped off.
lol that's exactly what I thought too! But after revving with the clutch and free revving, I noticed a lag in pick up and whine down. I even took it for one more red line run from 1st to 3rd lol! I noticed a MAJOR decrease in pick up and I just had to shut the car off :'( but after I turned it back on, everything seemed to be normal for another 3 miles until I felt it again
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Make sure the oil filler and filter cap are secure. Also make sure you didn't accidentally disconnect a sensor.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Make sure the oil filler and filter cap are secure. Also make sure you didn't accidentally disconnect a sensor.
I made sure those are secure, it says 26.5 NM and that about a little tighter than max hand tightening? as far as sensors goes, i used brake parts cleaner to clean a few areas surrounding the oil filter but of course i made sure that everything was tight before i started cleaning
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

0w-40 weight oil is actually heavier than 5w30 once it's warmed up. The extra oil thickness MAY slightly affect how easy the engine revs, but I don't think it would be very noticeable. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

What rpm is your car idling at? Is it slightly higher than normal?
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

M1 0w40 is BMW recommended, so you're fine there. Maybe the oil was overfilled? Do you know how many quarts they put in?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
0w-40 weight oil is actually heavier than 5w30 once it's warmed up. The extra oil thickness MAY slightly affect how easy the engine revs, but I don't think it would be very noticeable. I could be wrong though.
that's exactly what i was thinking, but then again, i could just be trippin and over think?
Quote:
What rpm is your car idling at? Is it slightly higher than normal?
actually yes, just about 100 rpm higher or so, and it takes a bit to warm up. my idle is sometimes almost at 1 but on cold starts, it doesn't go past 1200 rpm anymore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
M1 0w40 is BMW recommended, so you're fine there. Maybe the oil was overfilled? Do you know how many quarts they put in?
i put exactly 7 qts. in there because 6.9 is rediculous lol
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

Another experiment. Let it idle in neutral and with your window down, give the throttle a really sharp stab to rev it a bit. Do you hear a "gasp" from the engine? If you're in a manual car, slow the car down in second gear and but the clutch in at about 1200rpm. Do the revs come up before they go down?

My car does this once every few months randomly. My guess is that some non-critical sensor isn't being read. And it goes away on the next start.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another experiment. Let it idle in neutral and with your window down, give the throttle a really sharp stab to rev it a bit. Do you hear a "gasp" from the engine? If you're in a manual car, slow the car down in second gear and but the clutch in at about 1200rpm. Do the revs come up before they go down?

My car does this once every few months randomly. My guess is that some non-critical sensor isn't being read. And it goes away on the next start.
So you mean like hi rev downshifting? Do I keep my foot on the gas or just shift to second and let go of the clutch
?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep

No, just slow down like your coming to a stop sign on the brake. When you press the clutch in the revs should fall to idle. Sometimes on my car, they go up then down or hang before falling to idle.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, just slow down like your coming to a stop sign on the brake. When you press the clutch in the revs should fall to idle. Sometimes on my car, they go up then down or hang before falling to idle.
Ohhh I tried that, the needle barely lifts up before falling completely into idle. It more orless just drops most of the time but when I tried that this morning, it jumped up about 500 rpm before sitting at idle
Appreciate 0