E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Head unit cabling query - not much clearance for wiring loom

03-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #1
pcdj
Rep
Drives: E92

Head unit cabling query - not much clearance for wiring loom

Does anyone know if there's any access to behind the head unit, whilst the head unit is in place in the dash? (Through the glove box, perhaps?)

I've recently upgraded from CIC to CCC and obviously had to pull the head unit out, which brought the wiring loom with it.

For whatever reason, I can't get the loom to retract back into the hole it came from when I replace the head unit - if I try and push the head unit flush with the front of the dash I meet some resistance, presumably as the wiring loom is being caught up in the clearance between the rear of the head unit and the hole it fits into in the dash.

I need some way of being able to retract the wiring loom back into the dash whilst simultaneously pushing the head unit into place. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

There is space on the left side behind the cage. I think i had to remove a couple of screws to loosen it and then tuck the wiring behind it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
pcdj
Rep
Drives: E92

Yeah I'm aware of that, and that's exactly where I've been trying to feed it.

Just seems nigh on impossible to get a hand inside and behind the head unit to ensure the cables feed down inside that hole whilst feeding the head unit into the dash - there's just not enough room.

I think I need to somehow get access to the side/back of the head unit whilst the head unit is fully inserted into the dash, so I can pull the loom further back into its hole.
Appreciate 0