E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Does 18" Apex EC-7 clear the ECS F30 BBK?

04-05-2022, 10:15 PM   #1
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI xDrive

Does 18" Apex EC-7 clear the ECS F30 BBK?

ECS No. ES#3184077 is on sale and is too hard to pass!

So the ECS BBK kit is based on the M-sport BBK for the F30. It seems the front caliper is a direct transfer to the E90, but ECS machined an adaptor for the rear caliper.

My car is on a square setup of Apex EC-7 18x9 ET31 wheels. I asked Apex, and they said that this wheel clear the BBK on an F30, but they are unsure about the clearance on an E90 because of the ECS custom adaptor.

Does anyone have this ECS BBK installed? How is the clearance? Thanks!

My car is a LCI E91 xDrive wagon, if that helps (probably not, info on xDrive wagons are pretty sparse).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 11:09 PM   #2
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein_135 View Post
ECS No. ES#3184077 is on sale and is too hard to pass!

So the ECS BBK kit is based on the M-sport BBK for the F30. It seems the front caliper is a direct transfer to the E90, but ECS machined an adaptor for the rear caliper.

My car is on a square setup of Apex EC-7 18x9 ET31 wheels. I asked Apex, and they said that this wheel clear the BBK on an F30, but they are unsure about the clearance on an E90 because of the ECS custom adaptor.

Does anyone have this ECS BBK installed? How is the clearance? Thanks!

My car is a LCI E91 xDrive wagon, if that helps (probably not, info on xDrive wagons are pretty sparse).
From what I have seen, clearance usually very tight with the f80/f30 BBK retrofit on the e90. The below poster said they barely fit with 219M wheels.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...postcount=6804

I've only seen one person on this board actually purchase the ECS kit versus retrofitting the calipers themselves and using an offset bushing in the rear. I believe most people recommend upgrading the master cylinder to the m3 version to compensate for the increased piston surface area of the f80 calipers although nobody has actually documented (that I have been able to find) the piston diameters to confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 11:47 PM   #3
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335ie90 View Post
From what I have seen, clearance usually very tight with the f80/f30 BBK retrofit on the e90. The below poster said they barely fit with 219M wheels.

I've only seen one person on this board actually purchase the ECS kit versus retrofitting the calipers themselves and using an offset bushing in the rear. I believe most people recommend upgrading the master cylinder to the m3 version to compensate for the increased piston surface area of the f80 calipers although nobody has actually documented (that I have been able to find) the piston diameters to confirm this.
I saw the post about the soft pedal feel as well with people claiming different results, but after reading 5 pages I'm out of patience. I will measure the piston area if and when I get the BBK, to have a definitive answer once and for all.

But still, if anyone has been through this, please chime in and thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:10 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:

Quote:
I saw the post about the soft pedal feel as well with people claiming different results, but after reading 5 pages I'm out of patience. I will measure the piston area if and when I get the BBK, to have a definitive answer once and for all.

But still, if anyone has been through this, please chime in and thank you!
Absolutely no issue with Apex EC-7 18x9 ET31 and oem bmw style 219m. I have both type of wheels. Also on my STn54 I have Apex Arc-8 17” over 340mm F30.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 05:29 PM   #5
E92Danny
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i M-Sport

I run a arc-8 18x9 et30 in the front and I have the f30 bbk it's tight but it does clear if a rock gets lodged between the caliper and wheel it's gonna create some damage
      04-26-2022, 12:25 PM   #6
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Absolutely no issue with Apex EC-7 18x9 ET31 and oem bmw style 219m. I have both type of wheels. Also on my STn54 I have Apex Arc-8 17” over 340mm F30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Danny View Post
I run a arc-8 18x9 et30 in the front and I have the f30 bbk it's tight but it does clear if a rock gets lodged between the caliper and wheel it's gonna create some damage
Thank you both! I have ordered the BBK and it is currently back ordered. When it arrives I will report on the caliper clearance and pedal feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 11:56 PM   #7
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quick update. The BBK is still on back order. I'm not in a hurry as I have plenty of other things to work on, so whatever.

I have installed BC Racing I-59-BR coilovers in the mean time. They are advertised for xDrive E90/E92 but they fit my xDrive E91 with no issue. With my wheel size above and 255/35 R18 tires, the clearance to front strut is 1/4" to 1/2" when static - very tight, but so far doesn't seem to rub.

Perhaps next month I can report on the BBK clearance.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 12:08 PM   #8
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Just Venting

After a year of waiting for the order to ship and another half year for me to finally get time because of life, I have finally partially installed the BBK. Full update coming soon, but this post is just for venting some of my frustrations.

So first off the bat, ECS sent me the wrong driver side rear rotor and missed a set of caliper guide pins and anti-rattle spring, which prevented me from completing the install and I needed the car in a week. (You would think a week is enough time for a simple bolt-on like a BBK, right?) So I contacted ECS and they sent the parts, but I needed to pay $100+ for 1-day shipping. (Really? ECS messed up in the first place and I'm in a time crunch, but whatever.)

Then I found out that the stocking situation for the anti-rattle spring changed - it now won't be in stock for another week. Desperately need the car, I requested it to be shipped separately, which will allow me to limp the car while I wait for the spring as it is not safety-critical.

Then all my calls to the customer service somehow messed up their computer system and all the parts are on hold for no reason. Discovered this a day later when I didn't see the parts even ship, so called them again and sorted out the computer issue.

Then once the parts finally shipped, UPS messed up with the destination sorting which means MORE DELAYS! At this point I'm most definitely gonna miss the deadline so I'm now even tired to keep calling them.

Meanwhile, a separate issue: ECS included replacement OE bolts for mounting the caliper, but it is in fact not the correct size for mounting the rear caliper onto the adaptor. The bolt diameter and thread pitch are the same as the OE - M10-1.5 - but the head of the bolt is too large and I needed to go to my local hardware store to source a hex socket headed bolt to save space. I'm confused and surprised why this bolt is not included in the kit.

Anyways, will post pics once I finally get this thing installed in the coming week(s).
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251672.50
      08-05-2023, 11:51 PM   #9
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Installed and more problems

Quote:
After a year of waiting for the order to ship and another half year for me to finally get time because of life, I have finally partially installed the BBK. Full update coming soon, but this post is just for venting some of my frustrations.

So first off the bat, ECS sent me the wrong driver side rear rotor and missed a set of caliper guide pins and anti-rattle spring, which prevented me from completing the install and I needed the car in a week. (You would think a week is enough time for a simple bolt-on like a BBK, right?) So I contacted ECS and they sent the parts, but I needed to pay $100+ for 1-day shipping. (Really? ECS messed up in the first place and I'm in a time crunch, but whatever.)

Then I found out that the stocking situation for the anti-rattle spring changed - it now won't be in stock for another week. Desperately need the car, I requested it to be shipped separately, which will allow me to limp the car while I wait for the spring as it is not safety-critical.

Then all my calls to the customer service somehow messed up their computer system and all the parts are on hold for no reason. Discovered this a day later when I didn't see the parts even ship, so called them again and sorted out the computer issue.

Then once the parts finally shipped, UPS messed up with the destination sorting which means MORE DELAYS! At this point I'm most definitely gonna miss the deadline so I'm now even tired to keep calling them.

Meanwhile, a separate issue: ECS included replacement OE bolts for mounting the caliper, but it is in fact not the correct size for mounting the rear caliper onto the adaptor. The bolt diameter and thread pitch are the same as the OE - M10-1.5 - but the head of the bolt is too large and I needed to go to my local hardware store to source a hex socket headed bolt to save space. I'm confused and surprised why this bolt is not included in the kit.

Anyways, will post pics once I finally get this thing installed in the coming week(s).
I have finally installed the calipers. Positive news first, the 18" EC-7 clears the BBK. What a relief.

Then more problems. ECS sent me the wrong pin and spring set, so after another communication, I finally got the correct set. Then I found that the driver side rear caliper is wrong. The bleed screw is at the bottom. I only found this when I was bleeding the brakes. I will need to contact ECS again for the correct caliper.

Nonetheless, I bled the brakes as best as I could and went for a test drive and bedding the brakes. I can stop no problem, but the brake pedal is soft. I am not sure if it is because I cannot bleed the calipers properly due to the location of the bleed screw or because of the piston diameter. I am planning to tackle both problems at once - contacting ECS and purchasing a M master cylinder at the same time.

I will report back. Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 11:27 PM   #10
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

I can't believe it

Quote:
I have finally installed the calipers. Positive news first, the 18" EC-7 clears the BBK. What a relief.

Then more problems. ECS sent me the wrong pin and spring set, so after another communication, I finally got the correct set. Then I found that the driver side rear caliper is wrong. The bleed screw is at the bottom. I only found this when I was bleeding the brakes. I will need to contact ECS again for the correct caliper.

Nonetheless, I bled the brakes as best as I could and went for a test drive and bedding the brakes. I can stop no problem, but the brake pedal is soft. I am not sure if it is because I cannot bleed the calipers properly due to the location of the bleed screw or because of the piston diameter. I am planning to tackle both problems at once - contacting ECS and purchasing a M master cylinder at the same time.

I will report back. Wish me luck.
Ugh... See the picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 01:25 PM   #11
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Ive heard nothing but issues with ECStuning kits, hope you get it resolved ASAP. I stopped using ECS completely a few years ago when I got Next day shipping on an order placed Wednesday night and it showed up on Monday…and they refused refund the next day shipping.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 02:52 PM   #12
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ive heard nothing but issues with ECStuning kits, hope you get it resolved ASAP. I stopped using ECS completely a few years ago when I got Next day shipping on an order placed Wednesday night and it showed up on Monday…and they refused refund the next day shipping.
Appreciate your post! Glad to know there's someone seeing my frustration.

So they sent the wrong caliper the first time, then they sent a wrong replacement caliper again, now this third time they finally made it right. Will be installing it and the M3 master soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 05:00 PM   #13
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate your post! Glad to know there's someone seeing my frustration.

So they sent the wrong caliper the first time, then they sent a wrong replacement caliper again, now this third time they finally made it right. Will be installing it and the M3 master soon.
Was finally sent the correct caliper and also installed the M3 master cylinder. It's perfect now and pedal feel is also firm. The ECS kit is a great kit but the same cannot be said for their warehouse staff. Will post pics soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 11:09 PM   #14
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

ECStuning sucks but glad you got the BBK sorted!
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2023, 10:29 PM   #15
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep

pics

Finally, pics! Was super happy about how the results turned out.

It's been a rough road getting here. Some bumps I ran into:

1. Wrong driver side rear rotor.
2. Missing 1 set of caliper guide pins, then was sent the wrong set; got right the 3rd time.
3. No driver side rear caliper but was sent two passenger side rear calipers, then was sent the wrong caliper again; got right the 3rd time.
4. Hex socket bolts are required to bolt the rear caliper to the adapter; it is the same size and thread pitch as stock, but being a hex socket bolt instead of regular hex headed bolt saves space; stock bolts won't fit due to head being too large. Got them from Home Depot; can't imagine why they were not included in the kit.

If I didn't run into these costly issues, in terms of both money and time, I'd have given the kit 5 out of 5 stars. Some serious improvements needed here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
8081M40.50