Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bridgestone Run Flat Driveguards for e92 335i

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-14-2022, 08:37 PM   #1
hateface
e92 lci bumpers are ugly
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI

Bridgestone Run Flat Driveguards for e92 335i

Preface - I haven’t posted here in a long time but got my 2011 335i coupe brand new. For years I never had problems with the run flats that it rolled off the dealership with and simply replaced them at the typical and what felt like the expected time as any previous vehicle I or my other family members did. I However, this e92 was the first car with staggered tires that I or anyone I know had. I had never heard of staggered tires getting half the mileage and I must have been blind at the time if it was mentioned/posted anywhere. I continued to put the same Bridgestone RFs on and never had any durability issues or required replacement under warranty.

Fast forward to whatever year this previous RF model was phased out and replaced by the Driveguard 255/35 R18 and 225/40 R18. This model was hailed as the new comparable to the older discontinued model. Now, over the past couple years I’ve replaced fronts and backs countless times. To be fair the fronts tend to become damaged more frequently but when it’s the back tire it being a run flat meant absolutely nothing. I would obviously attribute this to the fact that the car is rear wheel drive but they certainly don’t hold up with the advertised mileage with recommended mph suggestion. I can’t remember how many times I’ve replaced these tires under warranty over the past 2-3 years and at some points right after the warranty expires. It seems that now all the tire dealers want to chalk this up to the staggering, which never was a “problem” before. Anyways, my question is for all you guys who know way more than me. I’m looking for any recommendation or insight as I’ve felt stuck with this tire for some time now.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 11:02 PM   #2
hateface
e92 lci bumpers are ugly
Rep

Bump.

Has anyone with a staggered setup (or previously) had any such negative experiences with the model tire that I mentioned above?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
Cal122
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 2011 328i xDrive

I just installed Driveguards on my e90, but with 225/45R17 and 255/40R17 since I needed an all season tire. They replaced the summer Potenza's that came from the factory. It was difficult to find an A/S RFT that would fit these staggered wheels (Especially since the Driveguard+ is out which they don't offer in these sizes). I had issues with the Potenza's getting punctured randomly and replacing them in sets was draining, even though the RFT did it's job well with no air left in the tire. Improved ride with these Driveguards in city driving, I hope they fair better than the Potenza's they replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 09:51 AM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I bought my E92 six years ago with Michelin run flats on it and simply thought the ride was firmer than my old E46. Two years later, the rear left went flat and they were all close to the wear bar so I went with PS4S'. It was at that point that I fell in love with the car, it performed better, more quiet on the highway and a little softer ride. I will never buy run flats for my cars, it's a gimmick and is detrimental to the driving experience. I am perfectly capable of changing a flat tire if needed and it's not like the run flat is bulletproof. And standard tires are cheaper...
      01-21-2023, 08:46 PM   #5
hateface
e92 lci bumpers are ugly
Rep

RFTs certainly have a gimmick element to them. Like I said, when it’s the back tires failing they don’t even function comparable to the fronts because of the RWD. I’ve actually had the rear not even get me home from a commute. The wheel began slicing through and that additional thickness contributed to damaging around the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 07:24 AM   #6
John T. Hawley
Registered
Rep
Drives: mercides benz

RFTs undoubtedly contain a gimmick component. Like I said, due to RWD, the back tyres don't even perform on par with the front ones when they fail. The rear has actually failed to deliver me home after a commute. The wheel started to cut through, and the added thickness caused damage to the area around the wheel well.
Appreciate 0