E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Taking apart shift knob

07-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

Taking apart shift knob

Anyone know of a way to take these babies apart?

I have two knobs: an e90 and an e60. They are identical except for the length of the rod that slides into your car (the e60 is a bit longer).

I'm fairly sure that there is a way to swap these two rods, but I can't figure out how to disassemble the knob and don't want to risk damaging it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

The shift knob comes out when you pull with force. It is best to put it in 2nd gear so you can get a good grip on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

PULL HARD and don't hit yourself in the face when it finally comes out!

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep

Ahh, sorry should have been more specific...

These are my two shifters (attached).

The one on the right is an E60 shifter but the rod below it is too long for my E90. Other than length, it is identical in every way.

I am wanting to take them both apart to switch the rods.

It looks like the actual leather part of the knobs are the same so if the trim turns out to be glued on, I might be better off just swapping the trim on the knobs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

No I think he means take the actual knob itself apart, once it's out. I assume we're talking about automatic, since you mentioned the rod part, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMD1709 View Post
No I think he means take the actual knob itself apart, once it's out. I assume we're talking about automatic, since you mentioned the rod part, right?
Must be, I know my 6MT shifter doesn't have them buttons (see picture)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
E90Russ
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (E90)

what do the buttons do?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep

I got it! There are actually several ways to go about it.

1. Buy the correct knob and don't ever have to worry about this

2. The top trim piece of these AT shift knobs are actually separate pieces... They aren't even glued on. There is a little groove on the leather part of the top of the knob that the trim piece snaps in and the rest just slides in... Very nice.

3. (The way I did it) You can actually pry the button out... The plastic rod at the bottom is connected to a metal rod up on the button... Pulling the button out drops the rod out and you can switch them up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
pacman
Lieutenant Colonel
India
Rep
Drives: 325i

great going matt!!!
      04-02-2017, 12:31 AM   #10
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Sedona Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moze View Post

2. The top trim piece of these AT shift knobs are actually separate pieces... They aren't even glued on. There is a little groove on the leather part of the top of the knob that the trim piece snaps in and the rest just slides in... Very nice.

3. (The way I did it) You can actually pry the button out... The plastic rod at the bottom is connected to a metal rod up on the button... Pulling the button out drops the rod out and you can switch them up.
I know this is a really old post, but anyone have any tips on how to get the button out of the shifter?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
Pete_NZ
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91, E61, E46 Touring

How to remove the gearknob button

To those that stumble on this thread like I did.
Luckily I have 4 spare shift knobs sitting in my spares and was able to practice on 2 crappy ones, one with the silver plastic and one fully leather one.

There are 2 ways to approach it: Button first or plastic cover first.

The button and it's mechanism was installed last when manufactured and was simlly pushed in. However, the detentes that lock it in place are deep inside and inaccessible. Going plastic cover first has a high risk of breaking the cover's tabs but if you don't care, removing it first will make the button easier to remove.

Alternatively, removing the button first reveals the tabs that hold the plastic on. Catch 22. Now I figured it out & practiced the move, button first is best but I also think seeing one with the plastic off gave me the confidence to try, and feel the results of, doing the following...

To remove the button:
To remove it requires simply levering it outwards from the lower edge. But to limit any poss damage to the leather requires a wide, flat, rounded edged pry implement. The perfect tool is the handle of a table fork. A flat one that will slip into the base of the button. About 1cm or 1/2 inch wide.
So slip the tool (fork handle) in under the button and insert about 1 cm ish and firmly pry the lever down to pop the knob straight outwards. The initial movement is the hardest. Be warned you may leave a couple of marks (tiny dents) on the leather but there's no other way. You'll never see them in the car.
Prise outwards and the button simply slips out. The vertical rod will simply drop out the bottom and you'll see how it fits back in. (Btw it doesn't matter which way round that rod goes back in when reassembling).

If you want to just remove the silver plastic do this:

Insert a flat blade (screwdriver or the handle of a fork) at the top above the shift button and prise upwards. There are 2 vertical tabs on the plastic that slip downwards into the knob that you are lifting upwards by force. Be aware you may break one or both but don't panic, you can always glue the whole thing back on. Once you remove the plastic, the knob can be prised outwards by inserting a think screwdriver down where the plastic tabs were and levering it straight outwards.

Hope all that helps someone!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 07:06 AM   #12
Nasty335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 335i

Separating the chrome from the knob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerflakes View Post

Heres a picture. Hope it helps. You basically want to pull away diagonally (from the button). NOT STRAIGHT UP!! NOT STRAIGHT DOWN. DIAGONALLY!!!!!
Appreciate 0