E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > iPhone iOS6 Integrates with BMW Office (iDrive Email and Text Message) via Bluetooth!

09-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #89
cjacoby78
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 30e

Hi all,

I just installed the Golden Master, and the bug seems still to be present ... SMS are working, but emails are not... Anyone?

Cheers,
CJ
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #90
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

BMW will have to give us an update before this will all play properly. Probably.
      09-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #91
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Yeah, the bug is still there with IOS 6 GM, so much for BMW having development input in the IOS, think they are all to busy playing Donkey Kong?

It worked with beta3, bad slip up on BMW's behalf not keeping on top of it, think they would have gottin this bug fixed. But like always they are after the fact, wonder if the BMW department involved where busy playing with there Sony 3D DS's?

There is even a bug in the BMW website when you try to download the USB update that came out last NOV 2011, here the error, been there for a couple weeks now:-

"access /bmw_prod/_common/shared/owners/bluetooth/bin/UPD01004.bin on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Proof they have taken there eye off the ball in regards to the above!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #92
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I'm running the Gold Master on an iPhone 4S and I couldn't make this work. My car was produced 3/11 with BMW Apps and it definitely has Combox, so I can't figure out what's up. I tried deleting and re-pairing my phone and all I could choose to enable were the Telephone and Audio functions. I went to the Options interface on the far right and made sure Office was checked (which apparently just means iDrive allows it at all, not necessarily for my specific phone), but going to Office > Messages only shows me destinations I've sent to my car from Google Maps. Clicking Update Office doesn't do anything, and my only filter options are "All", "E-mail" (which seems to be the Google Maps links), and "Service messages". I work in IT so I'm kind of frustrated (not to mention a tad embarrassed) that I can't figure this out; I assumed this function had been removed somewhere along the iOS 6 betas until I read above that someone's got it at least partially working on the GM. Any advice?

I'm just glad we can filter out email. I like the idea of being able to read text messages on iDrive, but I definitely DON'T want to be spending even more of my life staring at my email, LEAST of all when I'm in my car for the enjoyment of the drive.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-13-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #93
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
I'm not running the GM yet but consensus seems to be that it will show text messages while the phone is connected in the cradle, locked and that you have the notifications to "Alerts" style and "View in lock screen" is turned on. Beta 4 worked that way for me. I lost email messages in Beta 4 as well. There could be another BMW BT s/w update that brings all of MAP functionality back as well. Disappointing to say the least.
      09-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #94
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I'm running the Gold Master on an iPhone 4S and I couldn't make this work. My car was produced 3/11 with BMW Apps and it definitely has Combox, so I can't figure out what's up. I tried deleting and re-pairing my phone and all I could choose to enable were the Telephone and Audio functions. I went to the Options interface on the far right and made sure Office was checked, but Messages only shows me things I've sent to my car from Google Maps. Clicking Update Office doesn't do anything, and my only filter options are "All", "E-mail" (which seems to be the Google Maps links), and "Service messages". I work in IT so I'm kind of frustrated (not to mention a tad embarrassed) that I can't figure this out; I assumed this function was removed in some beta until I read above that someone's got it at least partially working. Any advice?

I'm just glad we can filter out email. I like the idea of being able to read text messages on iDrive, but I definitely DON'T want to be spending even more of my life staring at my email, LEAST of all when I'm in my car for the enjoyment of the drive.
Couple things,

Did you get the latest Bluetooth update from www.bmw.com/bluetooth , enter your VIN and put the firmware bin file on a USB stick and upload the file into your iDrive via the BMW Firmware Update section.

Messages will only work as the email part of the new IOS 6 pushing emails thru to the iDrive has a bug.

Under Settings, Bluetooth in your iPhone, go to the devices connected where it shows your BMW has paired, open that and turn on "Show Notifications".

Then under Settings in your iPhone go to "Notications" then under each heading "Phone" "Messages" "Mail" make sure you have the following turned on:
Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

The messages will only transfer to your idrive when your iPhone goes to sleep and has a blank screen (Locked) hence the View in Locked Screen, without this setting and your iphone has turned itself to Locked will the message be transferred, if you open the iPhone to view the messages they won't transfer to the iDrive, iPhone must turn itself to lock so set your iPhone to lock after 1 Minute in settings.

Emails are the same but that has a bug at the moment.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #95
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Just let you know I have manged to get a few emails thru, but then it stops again. If your turn off all the setting in your iPhone under Notifications for Mail, then go back in and turn them back on, a few emails will come thru but show up in the Messages section on the iDrive only (not in the Mail section).

Then it stops again, definetely a bug in IOS 6, I don't see a update from BMW for the Bluetooth will fix this, its a Apple problem as it worked ok in Beta 3.

Very poor input from BMW via there partnership with Apple not to have had this problem fixed as its been known for nearly a month that this bug existed.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #96
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Couple things,

Did you get the latest Bluetooth update from www.bmw.com/bluetooth , enter your VIN and put the firmware bin file on a USB stick and upload the file into your iDrive via the BMW Firmware Update section.

Messages will only work as the email part of the new IOS 6 pushing emails thru to the iDrive has a bug.

Under Settings, Bluetooth in your iPhone, go to the devices connected where it shows your BMW has paired, open that and turn on "Show Notifications".

Then under Settings in your iPhone go to "Notications" then under each heading "Phone" "Messages" "Mail" make sure you have the following turned on:
Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

The messages will only transfer to your idrive when your iPhone goes to sleep and has a blank screen (Locked) hence the View in Locked Screen, without this setting and your iphone has turned itself to Locked will the message be transferred, if you open the iPhone to view the messages they won't transfer to the iDrive, iPhone must turn itself to lock so set your iPhone to lock after 1 Minute in settings.

I had indeed gotten the latest Bluetooth update a while back (seems I'm still current) but the trick was enabling Show Notifications in the Bluetooth pairing options for my car on the phone. Funny, I did actually look there for anything promising and could've sworn it was originally on -- oh well, it's late over here. But it now works!

I then noticed that there wasn't a way to delete the text messages from iDrive. Reading them on iDrive or the phone didn't, and I wanted a way to get them off iDrive without deleting the message from the phone. Turns out that they're cleared out when you turn the car off. Not intuitive, but I guess it makes sense.

I'm not worried about the email bug. I don't even have Mail enabled in Notification Center because like I said above, I'm already too much of a slave to email, so seeing it in my car would crush the fun I have when I'm driving. But thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 09-15-2012 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #97
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Couple things,

Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

You don't have to turn on Alert style : Alerts. It can be set to anything.

Also, in order for messages to be pushed to idrive, this can be done if the phone is locked or not. I had BMW connected running, got a txt and it was pushed to idrive just fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #98
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Its not the messages that are a problem, its the emails not being sent to the iDrive since IOS 6 Beta 4 & also IOS 6 GM.

So alot use users are reloading IOS 6 Beta 3 as this was the last firmware where both Messages & Emails worked on the iDrive.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #99
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Quote:
Its not the messages that are a problem, its the emails not being sent to the iDrive since IOS 6 Beta 4 & also IOS 6 GM.

So alot use users are reloading IOS 6 Beta 3 as this was the last firmware where both Messages & Emails worked on the iDrive.
Beta 3 had other issues with Voicemail & MMS. Personally, I wouldn't revert back to it. I would just hurry up and wait for the next update from Apple.
      09-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #100
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
Beta 3 had other issues with Voicemail & MMS. Personally, I wouldn't revert back to it. I would just hurry up and wait for the next update from Apple.
This bug will get fixed fairly quickly, as everyones iphone 4 & 4s will get IOS 6 as of today when they connect there phone to itunes. This will make alot of BMW owners unhappy around the world who wish to use this email feature.

It will be interesting to see if the iphone 5 will push emails to the idrive (has anyone tried yet?) if it does then its a iphone 4 & 4s bug only?

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #101
luckydog125
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

NEXT STEPS???

I did the IOS6 update and still no luck - do I need to download that BMW update you had a link to in order for it to work?? IF so, I am assuming I load that file on to a USB drive and use the update feature in the car (I am aware how to do this). Is that all I need to do to get it to work??

In your post you show a picture of the "office" interface - on mine, all I see is "contacts" and "messages". I dont see any other options.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #102
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog125 View Post
I did the IOS6 update and still no luck - do I need to download that BMW update you had a link to in order for it to work?? IF so, I am assuming I load that file on to a USB drive and use the update feature in the car (I am aware how to do this). Is that all I need to do to get it to work??

In your post you show a picture of the "office" interface - on mine, all I see is "contacts" and "messages". I dont see any other options.
Yes, do the Bluetooth update. If you still don't see the Office option, go to the Telephone section of iDrive, press the Options button, and make sure Office is checked. For some reason you have to enable that separately. After doing that, your phone will unpair and re-pair, then on the phone go to Bluetooth and tap the blue arrow for the pairing for your car. Turn on "Show Notifications". Emails apparently still don't work right (fine by me, I spend too much of my life staring at emails as it is), but texts should work.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #103
luckydog125
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

Closer............

So now I have updated the car with the latest firmware and yes, I see the tab on the left that says "Current Office". Obviously getting closer - unfortunately, it doesnt seem to be updating email when choosing update data - so no email??? Is that a BMW problem or phone problem. And will I only see a NEW text? A couple screenshots of current condition.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #104
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog125 View Post
So now I have updated the car with the latest firmware and yes, I see the tab on the left that says "Current Office". Obviously getting closer - unfortunately, it doesnt seem to be updating email when choosing update data - so no email??? Is that a BMW problem or phone problem. And will I only see a NEW text? A couple screenshots of current condition.

Thanks for your help.
I said in my post directly above yours that email isn't working properly at the moment, only texts....

It appears to be an iOS issue because it worked in iOS 6 betas but broke on later betas and stayed broken for the final release. But seriously man, don't poison the fun of your car by having it shove emails in your face; cars like this are supposed to be getaways from those elements of life.

Yes, you'll only see new texts (and presumably new emails once they get that fixed), and you can't delete them once they appear. iDrive just clears the stored texts when you turn the car off, though of course they stay on your phone. There's no option to retain them after turning your car off or delete them sooner.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #105
REYOM
Rep
Drives: 535ix

I tried everything above - found the office option under telephone. Re- paired the phone. No "current office" appeared. Then I realized that when I re-paired the 4s, Apple defaults back to no notification. Swithed it on - didn't work. Up paired the phone than tried every iteration possible and couldn't find the Office option under telephone again. I had also turned off MMS on the phone as well. Rechecked that the software was updated etc,etc. Gave up! Then I come back three hours later and there was the Current Office TAB.

I just can't figure out this car.

None the less - thanks for the help on this thread for helping me get this far!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #106
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
I've also been having problems with BMW Office, iPhone4S, iOS6, and receiving texts but not emails through iDrive.

I have found an unsatisfying workaround: After Bluetooth pairing and configuring and receiving a text to test it works in iDrive, go to Notification Center-->Mail and turn notifications off, then back on. Exit out, lock the phone, and send yourself a test email. For me, it goes through the iDrive. The bad part is, once you turn the car off and iDrive unpairs from the iPhone, the fix is gone--I have to go back to notification center and do the on/off thing again.

That seems like an iOS bug to me.

For those of you reliably getting emails to work without magic, I'd love to know about any differences in settings, etc. I thought maybe it was because my primary email account is an MS Exchange account at work, which forces encryption policies on the iPhone, but I deleted the account, used a different email address, and still had the same problem.

Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #107
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobDeuce View Post
I've also been having problems with BMW Office, iPhone4S, iOS6, and receiving texts but not emails through iDrive.

I have found an unsatisfying workaround: After Bluetooth pairing and configuring and receiving a text to test it works in iDrive, go to Notification Center-->Mail and turn notifications off, then back on. Exit out, lock the phone, and send yourself a test email. For me, it goes through the iDrive. The bad part is, once you turn the car off and iDrive unpairs from the iPhone, the fix is gone--I have to go back to notification center and do the on/off thing again.

That seems like an iOS bug to me.

For those of you reliably getting emails to work without magic, I'd love to know about any differences in settings, etc. I thought maybe it was because my primary email account is an MS Exchange account at work, which forces encryption policies on the iPhone, but I deleted the account, used a different email address, and still had the same problem.

Any other thoughts?
Post 95 describes your same findings. If you go back to IOS Beta 3 then both Messages & Emails will work, other than that you will have to wait for a firmware update.

Also we are waiting to see if anyone that has a iPhone 5 has the same issues on there iDrive with no emails. If the iPhone 5 works then its a bug in the software only affecting iohone 4 & 4S.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #108
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Thanks watrob! I don't have access to the beta, so I will have to wait. But, my iPhone 5 does arrive tomorrow, and I will test it and let you know if that makes a difference versus the 4/4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #109
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobDeuce View Post
Thanks watrob! I don't have access to the beta, so I will have to wait. But, my iPhone 5 does arrive tomorrow, and I will test it and let you know if that makes a difference versus the 4/4S.
That would be good to know as my new iPhone 5's won't arrive for another 5 days.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #110
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Same issue with iPhone5 so it has to do with IOS6 and BMW software. Hopefully BMW will release update soon.
Appreciate 0