E90Post
 


Extreme Powerhouse
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Package/Combox Deciphering help



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
goodygats
GoodyGats
United_States
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Sportswagon
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Package/Combox Deciphering help

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2011 328i xDrive Sports Wagon and am new to owning a BMW so apologies if my enquiry is naive.
I have gone over multiple forums but they seem more based around retrofitting whereas I'm just trying to understand what I actually have

I have successfully paired my phone over bluetooth and made calls and for the most part everything works as it should, except...... the car gives me a "device not supported" error when trying to play music from my iPhone X via the USB input in my center console.
Figured the software just needs updating but that "Software Update" option is missing from my menu!

So the question is; what are my options here?
Do I need to go to the dealer to get it updated (I have no idea what version CIC I am running or how to find it) or is that not even an option with what I've got, do I have to get an aftermarket one (from Bimmer-Tech for example)?
I really just want to play music off my iPhone (bluetooth isn't necessary) and do software updates myself.

The TFU unit I have has the code 84109231090 and the date 05.06.2010
Here are the related options I have that I found on mDecoder

S620 Voice Control
S6FL USB/Audio Interface
S6AA BMW Teleservices
S645 BMW US Radio
S609 Navigation System Professional
S639 Preparation F Mobile Phone Cpl. USA/CDN
S6UH Traffic Information
S6AB Control, Teleservices
S655 Satellite Tuner
S615 Extended BMW Online Information
S697 Area-Code 1 for DVD

The Navigation system version doesn't seem to have been updated (still has the North American Premium 2010) but I have ordered an update with permanent FSC code and intend to do that shortly.

Any information is appreciated;
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
smass
Major
253
Rep
1,271
Posts

Drives: 09 X5d - 06 325i & 330i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (1)

You have the older system with a TCU (BT phone and BMW assist) and MULF2 HI (USB) rather than the newer combox. The option to update software via idrive is only available with a combox. And that software update is only a bluetooth conectivitity update and not a full i-drive/cic update or map update.

Your system does not support Bluetooth streaming but will support an older iPod. You can leverage the ipod functionality with a tune2air which emulates an iPod and gets you Bluetooth music streaming plus song skips via the steering wheel. https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-WMA3000...2315856&sr=8-5

Combox retrofits need $100 in parts, 10 pins to be moved from TCU/MULF connectors into the new combox one, and to be programmed by a local tuner. The main advantage of a combox over a tune2air is the ability to connect multiple phones via bluetooth and switch via the i-drive menu. Also, a combox can't charge a modern phone via usb so you won't be using the wired connection.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Hoody007
Private
United_States
15
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 335i LCI, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dunwoody, GA & Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygats View Post
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2011 328i xDrive Sports Wagon and am new to owning a BMW so apologies if my enquiry is naive.
I have gone over multiple forums but they seem more based around retrofitting whereas I'm just trying to understand what I actually have

I have successfully paired my phone over bluetooth and made calls and for the most part everything works as it should, except...... the car gives me a "device not supported" error when trying to play music from my iPhone X via the USB input in my center console.
Figured the software just needs updating but that "Software Update" option is missing from my menu!

So the question is; what are my options here?
Do I need to go to the dealer to get it updated (I have no idea what version CIC I am running or how to find it) or is that not even an option with what I've got, do I have to get an aftermarket one (from Bimmer-Tech for example)?
I really just want to play music off my iPhone (bluetooth isn't necessary) and do software updates myself.

The TFU unit I have has the code 84109231090 and the date 05.06.2010
Here are the related options I have that I found on mDecoder

S620 Voice Control
S6FL USB/Audio Interface
S6AA BMW Teleservices
S645 BMW US Radio
S609 Navigation System Professional
S639 Preparation F Mobile Phone Cpl. USA/CDN
S6UH Traffic Information
S6AB Control, Teleservices
S655 Satellite Tuner
S615 Extended BMW Online Information
S697 Area-Code 1 for DVD

The Navigation system version doesn't seem to have been updated (still has the North American Premium 2010) but I have ordered an update with permanent FSC code and intend to do that shortly.

Any information is appreciated;
Thanks in advance!
I have the same setup in my ’09. You need the special BMW Y-cable to interface with the car (this one, for example).

You can also get an older version of the cable with the 30-pin dock connector - just make sure you use an OEM Apple 30 PIN-lightening adapter or it won’t work.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
goodygats
GoodyGats
United_States
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Sportswagon
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
You have the older system with a TCU (BT phone and BMW assist) and MULF2 HI (USB) rather than the newer combox. The option to update software via idrive is only available with a combox. And that software update is only a bluetooth conectivitity update and not a full i-drive/cic update or map update.

Your system does not support Bluetooth streaming but will support an older iPod. You can leverage the ipod functionality with a tune2air which emulates an iPod and gets you Bluetooth music streaming plus song skips via the steering wheel. https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-WMA3000...2315856&sr=8-5

Combox retrofits need $100 in parts, 10 pins to be moved from TCU/MULF connectors into the new combox one, and to be programmed by a local tuner. The main advantage of a combox over a tune2air is the ability to connect multiple phones via bluetooth and switch via the i-drive menu. Also, a combox can't charge a modern phone via usb so you won't be using the wired connection.
Thanks for the info, very helpful.
Looks like I might as well go for the Bimmer-Tech upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
goodygats
GoodyGats
United_States
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Sportswagon
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
I have the same setup in my ’09. You need the special BMW Y-cable to interface with the car (this one, for example).

You can also get an older version of the cable with the 30-pin dock connector - just make sure you use an OEM Apple 30 PIN-lightening adapter or it won’t work.
I think I'd rather put that $100 cable toward a full upgrade!!
Thank you for the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
goodygats
GoodyGats
United_States
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Sportswagon
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
You have the older system with a TCU (BT phone and BMW assist) and MULF2 HI (USB) rather than the newer combox. The option to update software via idrive is only available with a combox. And that software update is only a bluetooth conectivitity update and not a full i-drive/cic update or map update.

Your system does not support Bluetooth streaming but will support an older iPod. You can leverage the ipod functionality with a tune2air which emulates an iPod and gets you Bluetooth music streaming plus song skips via the steering wheel. https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-WMA3000...2315856&sr=8-5

Combox retrofits need $100 in parts, 10 pins to be moved from TCU/MULF connectors into the new combox one, and to be programmed by a local tuner. The main advantage of a combox over a tune2air is the ability to connect multiple phones via bluetooth and switch via the i-drive menu. Also, a combox can't charge a modern phone via usb so you won't be using the wired connection.
So I could be a used Combox right; do you know which model would work with minor install headached?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
smass
Major
253
Rep
1,271
Posts

Drives: 09 X5d - 06 325i & 330i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygats View Post
So I could be a used Combox right; do you know which model would work with minor install headached?
Thanks
E series combox have a model number of BN2000 on the sticker. An F series combox, which is BN2010 is cheaper on ebay, will NOT work in an E series.

Below is a link to one I am selling. It includes the 2 part wiring plug needed for a retrofit using the "move the pins to a new connector" method. This is what I have done of 5 cars now as it is the lowest cost.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254626622974

If you don't want to move the 10 pins, you can get an adapter. This auction also includes a fiber terminator that can be used when switching from 2 to 1 fiber devices (they are in series). See link below.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-COMBOX-...h/264558437825

Post a picture of what is in your trunk under the floor. I am pretty sure you have 2 boxes stacked on top of each other now. Based on this, I can send you wiring charts that show which pins to move. They easily slide out of the connector and into the new one. And if you have 2 boxes and switch to combox, you need to terminate or re-patch the fiber which is in series.

Once physically installed, you will need a local coder, or a cable/pc/remote coding session to do the minimal coding to tell your car a combox has been installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
goodygats
GoodyGats
United_States
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Sportswagon
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
E series combox have a model number of BN2000 on the sticker. An F series combox, which is BN2010 is cheaper on ebay, will NOT work in an E series.

Below is a link to one I am selling. It includes the 2 part wiring plug needed for a retrofit using the "move the pins to a new connector" method. This is what I have done of 5 cars now as it is the lowest cost.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254626622974

If you don't want to move the 10 pins, you can get an adapter. This auction also includes a fiber terminator that can be used when switching from 2 to 1 fiber devices (they are in series). See link below.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-COMBOX-...h/264558437825

Post a picture of what is in your trunk under the floor. I am pretty sure you have 2 boxes stacked on top of each other now. Based on this, I can send you wiring charts that show which pins to move. They easily slide out of the connector and into the new one. And if you have 2 boxes and switch to combox, you need to terminate or re-patch the fiber which is in series.

Once physically installed, you will need a local coder, or a cable/pc/remote coding session to do the minimal coding to tell your car a combox has been installed.
Thanks, I may well be interested in it!
Let me take some photos and I'll get back to you ASAP, cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
goodygats
GoodyGats
United_States
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Sportswagon
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
E series combox have a model number of BN2000 on the sticker. An F series combox, which is BN2010 is cheaper on ebay, will NOT work in an E series.

Below is a link to one I am selling. It includes the 2 part wiring plug needed for a retrofit using the "move the pins to a new connector" method. This is what I have done of 5 cars now as it is the lowest cost.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254626622974

If you don't want to move the 10 pins, you can get an adapter. This auction also includes a fiber terminator that can be used when switching from 2 to 1 fiber devices (they are in series). See link below.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-COMBOX-...h/264558437825

Post a picture of what is in your trunk under the floor. I am pretty sure you have 2 boxes stacked on top of each other now. Based on this, I can send you wiring charts that show which pins to move. They easily slide out of the connector and into the new one. And if you have 2 boxes and switch to combox, you need to terminate or re-patch the fiber which is in series.

Once physically installed, you will need a local coder, or a cable/pc/remote coding session to do the minimal coding to tell your car a combox has been installed.
Photos attached
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #10
smass
Major
253
Rep
1,271
Posts

Drives: 09 X5d - 06 325i & 330i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (1)

You have a tcu on the top and a mulf on the bottom. My only concern would be the orientation of the devices. The TCU has thin wires in the back and antenna in front. The MULF has thin wires in front and usb connector in the back. A combox will have the thin wires on one end and the BT antenna/usb on the other. So just make sure your black round usb connector in the back of the mulf will reach the front area. I think people may move everything over to the left side of the trunk.

The white/pink connector on the tcu is the bluetooth antenna. You won't connect the other antenna on the right side as they are not used. You also have 2 pairs of fiber. One is no longer need after the retrofit and must be removed from the "loop" for everything else to continue functioning. This can be done with a terminator. Or alternatively, see the attached pdf for satellite radio installation. It has the procedure for adding a device to the fiber loop. Follow those instructions backwards. I have attached a pdf for the E63 retrofit. This has good instructions that carry over to the E90. And finnaly I included the wiring diagram. Ignore the line in red as they are not needed.
Attached Images
 
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 Sirius install.pdf (587.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf CIC-Combox Retrofit for E63s.pdf (2.33 MB, 3 views)
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST