E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Stoptech SS brake line failed almost crashed

01-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #23
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
It was either damaged before install or while driving. My brake sensor was once sliced and it looked like a razor was used. Never drive over anything weird. Something had to get kicked up and sliced it.

Cutting through stainless mesh braid is not easy. I've done it before, it frays a lot unless what you use is super sharp.

It does not look like abrasion wore through it. It would of have to been on a sharp sharp edge imo.

Something cut it, something sharp.

My guess is some fucking punk ordered these, did not fit or need them and cut them on purpose. Stoptech never caught it upon return inspection. They probably do a visual which is fine for 99% of returns. I can't imagine they would pressure test a return.

If anyone has a better story as to what happened let's hear it.

OP: when you take it off clean it up and take some more pictures close up.

Edit: and yes the salt on the zip the is questionable but it could have got there if his hands or gloves were covered in winter crap...But I agree it is suspect.

Edit #2 how does it go from a 1/4 slice in picture 1 to cut in half picture 2? OP did you cut it for removal for some reason? Either way pic 3 shows how it will fray...looks like a cutting tool was used...
Yes I cut the brake line into half because I couldn't remove it due to the hardline fitting is stuck. In order for me to take the brake lines off I had to cut them and twist then. I just went to pick up a blow torch, so hopefully that will lose up the fitting.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #24
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Goodridge for x drive models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Get a set of Goodridge g-stop series or phantom.

Did you change the brakes recently, bleed them, or change out the brake fluid ?

SS lines are almost fool proof and are definitely an upgrade in terms of pedal feel.

I have Goodridge phantom SS lines and love them.
Pads, rotors, fluid on the brakes were changed a year 4 months ago.
I bled the fluid during summer

wow phantom is $$$

Hmmm cannot find Xdrive brake lines... do they make those?
https://thmotorsports.com/i-2207816....SABEgKzBPD_BwE
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2018, 11:18 PM   #25
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It was either damaged before install or while driving. My brake sensor was once sliced and it looked like a razor was used. Never drive over anything weird. Something had to get kicked up and sliced it.

Cutting through stainless mesh braid is not easy. I've done it before, it frays a lot unless what you use is super sharp.

It does not look like abrasion wore through it. It would of have to been on a sharp sharp edge imo.

My guess is some fucking punk ordered these, did not fit or need them and cut them on purpose. Stoptech never caught it upon return inspection. They probably do a visual which is fine for 99% of returns. I can't imagine they would pressure test a return.

Edit: and yes the salt on the zip the is questionable but it could have got there if his hands or gloves were covered in winter crap...But I agree it is suspect.

Edit #2 how does it go from a 1/4 slice in picture 1 to cut in half picture 2? OP did you cut it for removal for some reason? Either way pic 3 shows how it will fray...looks like a cutting tool was used...
I checked the other side and i found out there's of rubbing. As i recall the stoptech ss is longer than OEM. Uploaded pics
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #26
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Hmmm cannot find Xdrive brake lines... do they make those? https://thmotorsports.com/i-2207816....SABEgKzBPD_BwE
Well, there's the background story.
OP bought the wrong set of lines for their car. Probably a combination of incorrect length and incorrect securing points. That cable tie also looks like a contributor to the failure. If this was used for a warranty claim it would get rejected - you shot yourself in the foot.

Brakes are not something to mess around with and experiment.

By the way, braided lines are not a lifetime item. They will eventually fail for various reasons even when fitted correctly and they will not show much hint of age or future failure because the plastic coating and stainless braid hides everything. Those using them in harsh conditions should add them to routine maintenance.

And one more thing. If your brakes don't work properly, don't drive the car.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #27
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Quote:
Hmmm cannot find Xdrive brake lines... do they make those? https://thmotorsports.com/i-2207816....SABEgKzBPD_BwE
Well, there's the background story.
OP bought the wrong set of lines for their car. Probably a combination of incorrect length and incorrect securing points. That cable tie also looks like a contributor to the failure. If this was used for a warranty claim it would get rejected - you shot yourself in the foot.

Brakes are not something to mess around with and experiment.

By the way, braided lines are not a lifetime item. They will eventually fail for various reasons even when fitted correctly and they will not show much hint of age or future failure because the plastic coating and stainless braid hides everything. Those using them in harsh conditions should add them to routine maintenance.

And one more thing. If your brakes don't work properly, don't drive the car.
2/3rds of this post sounds like you are directing it at me. I am not sure why.

The SS lines I suggested are for AWD BMW's, and in my opinion they are a better brand then what he had.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #28
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Thats really wild it failed. So lucky it happened the way it did though! So it wasn't rubbing on anything right? a defect in the braid?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #29
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asonchadwick View Post
Thats really wild it failed. So lucky it happened the way it did though! So it wasn't rubbing on anything right? a defect in the braid?

A defect in the braid would not cause this.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      02-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #30
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Quote:
Yes I cut the brake line into half because I couldn't remove it due to the hardline fitting is stuck. In order for me to take the brake lines off I had to cut them and twist then. I just went to pick up a blow torch, so hopefully that will lose up the fitting.
Be cautious, brake fluid is flammable.
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #31
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Kroil Oil - let it soak overnight. Try & move the bubble, flare nut. If no... then....

Torch w/ Yellow gas. Heat up for 7-8 seconds max maybe 5-6x. Try & move the bubble flare nut. If not keep, repeating this cycle until it moves. It will eventually move. Patience is all that is required.,
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #32
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
2/3rds of this post sounds like you are directing it at me. I am not sure why.

The SS lines I suggested are for AWD BMW's, and in my opinion they are a better brand then what he had.
Sorry mate, seems like the quote within a quote thing stuffed up and made it look like that
Definitely not directed at you though!

I'm assuming you linked OP to those lines because they have an Xi and what i meant was OP may have opted to buy non Xi lines.

This thread reeks of dodgy-ness.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #33
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Stoptech SS brake line is LONGER than OEM brake lines which cause more bents once it has been installed. Over time, the brake line would shift its position causing it to rub on surface in the wheelwell

This might be the problem? Stoptech specs the same front line (950.3401) for both RWD and AWD models but BMW uses different lines for each (34306790550 for RWD, 34306793026 for AWD)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #34
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Kroil Oil - let it soak overnight. Try & move the bubble, flare nut. If no... then....

Torch w/ Yellow gas. Heat up for 7-8 seconds max maybe 5-6x. Try & move the bubble flare nut. If not keep, repeating this cycle until it moves. It will eventually move. Patience is all that is required.,
hahaha how many times have you left this comment on threads that are having trouble to remove the flare nut? Well this time I actually did it. It worked
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #35
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha how many times have you left this comment on threads that are having trouble to remove the flare nut? Well this time I actually did it. It worked
Did you end up getting Goodridge SS lines?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #36
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did you end up getting Goodridge SS lines?
I haven't yet, might get it soon. Cannot find phantom for xdrive, guess I will get g-stop
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #37
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
This might be the problem? Stoptech specs the same front line (950.3401) for both RWD and AWD models but BMW uses different lines for each (34306790550 for RWD, 34306793026 for AWD)
I updated pic
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:24 AM   #38
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
+1

I remember I was once sent RWD front brake sensor by mistake, and it's cable length wasn't right on my XI (AWD). Its wasn't routing through the cable hooks correctly as it was supposed to.

I would think the brake line would have same problem, RWD one won't fit well on an AWD.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #39
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

Quote:

If you don't have a torch, a heat gun ($15 harbor freight one will work) might get the job done as well, or at least get things warm enough to help lube/anti-seize penetrate the threads.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #40
N54POWR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Garage List
2011 335is  [8.66]
This is why aftermarket parts need to be checked and rechecked often. Whether install error or otherwise, it was definitely wearing down over time as shown by the other side. If you want reliability, keep it stock.
I've had stop tech lines for years, I keep them clean and check them regularly and I've never had a problem.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #41
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
+1

I remember I was once sent RWD front brake sensor by mistake, and it's cable length wasn't right on my XI (AWD). Its wasn't routing through the cable hooks correctly as it was supposed to.

I would think the brake line would have same problem, RWD one won't fit well on an AWD.
It's almost length of a finger longer. Its no where near OEM spec. That's ridiculous. They tried to save money by making one brake like for all models.

They are sending me replacement but I have to send the broken ones back.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #42
madskillzE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 AWD

Live and learn
You installed them incorrectly (It happens)
This time around install them right and out of the way of moving parts.

The important thing is you and those around you are all okay.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #43
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskillzE90 View Post
Live and learn
You installed them incorrectly (It happens)
This time around install them right and out of the way of moving parts.

The important thing is you and those around you are all okay.
No I didn't install them incorrectly. They are LONGER than stock brake line. I have already sent Stoptech an email, but no reply from them. Stoptech used STOCK Rwd brake line length for AWD. It's rubbing on the shaft
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      03-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #44
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Ahh.....the downside of aftermarket modding shows it's ugly face!
Just be thankful your safe and nobody else got hurt.
Appreciate 0