E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Build Thread - E92 335D

09-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #133
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Awbimmer, whoever told you that getting a quality mid bass driver, like the Jehnerts, if you're getting a sub too would be overkill is talking rubbish What he probably meant was that in his opinion mid bass isn't as important as sub bass, which is fair enough as its a personal preference. For me, i think it's best to get all the frequencies to be replicated as they are equally important. Also, your sub will never be able to produce mid bass frequencies, and likewise the Jehnerts will never produce sub bass frequencies.

So if you're avoiding the Jehnerts because you place more importance over sub bass and rather have your money go towards that, then thats fair enough. In fact i'd recommend that if that's what will please you. However if you think that it would be a waste of money to get a quality mid bass driver then you're mistaken.

Also just a note on that 3 way set. It looks as though it comes with just one crossover. So you'll have 3 drivers on one amp channel. This would waste the ms-8s effort on time alignment so you would not benefit from it. A way to get around this is to split the woofer so its on its own actively crossovered channel.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #134
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Very valid point Mo. I was reading your other threads re: 10w7 etc.. did you go with that in the end or that part of your 2nd stage (if still implemented?)

As you have rightly said, it's best practice to try and cover all frequencies if possible where funds permit.. however, I'm just trying to be sensible in that the HERTS ESK163 (3 way) will give me a pretty decent sound when set right with the Amp / MS-8 calibration and the 10w7..

My budget is IRO £1600 give or take and for that I need to factor the Amp(s), 3 way comp OR 2 way comps + underseats, some sound deadening, Wiring (Technic's I assume) + power cables etc etc, Sub / Box / Install (which I'm pretty much sorted for) and labour to fit.

Should I be looking at getting on big MOFO an amp to power everything from or 2 different for front stage and boot sub?

Lastly, what are people's views on Centre channel? I hear mixed reviews.. some say it ruins sound staging and others say it's absolutely crucial esp with the MS-8..

How would you / anyone best utilise this budget and advise on the rest?
      09-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #135
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Has ANYONE used these before and can comment on their reliability, the product's quality and fitment?

Pics seem ok to me and 2 people who have bought these have left A* feedback.

It's made from fibreglass - is that the usual material for these things?

Cheers folks..
      09-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #136
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Has ANYONE used these before and can comment on their reliability, the product's quality and fitment?

Pics seem ok to me and 2 people who have bought these have left A* feedback.

It's made from fibreglass - is that the usual material for these things?

Cheers folks..
Used what S1?
      09-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #137
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Have started a new thread with my question :-)
      09-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #138
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

ok some updates folks..

Re: Audio.. after planning to buy a 10w7 which sadly fell through through no fault ogf anyone's, I'm now looking into a 12w7 and possibly another 10w7 through another seller elsewhere.

Re: 4 chn amp for front stage.. I've seen a JL HD 600/4 for sale around £300 and wondered if they are good amps to match my components (Morel Hybrid Ovations and Jehnert Mid Bass?)

I know the JL DH 600/4 chucks around 150W RMS @ 2 ohms.. surely this is monstrous enough to power the front stage LOL...

Is this a good price to be had for one of these bad boys? What are options exist for a decent 4 chn around £200 mark..

Lastly, what is better to have a 12w7 or 10w8 SQ wise and hard hitting bass? There's about £50-£70 price difference from the 1 options I'm being offered so just keen to know.

Thanks.
      09-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #139
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Quote:

Lastly, what is better to have a 12w7 or 10w8 SQ wise and hard hitting bass? There's about £50-£70 price difference from the 1 options I'm being offered so just keen to know.

Thanks.
i assume you meant 10W7 cos if JL made a W8 and i didnt know about it i wouldnt be impressed lol!

between the two you cant fault the 12, it will defo hit alot deeper than the 10! just make sure you got an amp to power it properly! around 1000wrms at 3ohms
      09-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #140
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes deffo meant w7 lolllll.. outside of this forum got a couple of things on the go so waiting to see what comes of that. Looking at a 10w7 or a 12w7 so awaiting news on that for starters. Really don’t want to do my boot stage for another couple of months and that means not spending anything but these subs are so hard pushed to come by on the 2nd hand market.

All I need now is a decent amp for front. The only way to save is to stay away from these forums LOL.. mod bug has def bitten.
      09-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #141
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

have you already got an amp for the JL sub then??
      09-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #142
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

The HD series are very high quality amps. Price is cheap for that amp, would be good for your front stage. Maybe just turn the gains down for the Jehnerts a bit to be safe
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #143
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Re: 4 chn amp for front stage.. I've seen a JL HD 600/4 for sale around £300 and wondered if they are good amps to match my components (Morel Hybrid Ovations and Jehnert Mid Bass?)

I know the JL DH 600/4 chucks around 150W RMS @ 2 ohms.. surely this is monstrous enough to power the front stage LOL...

Thanks.

Although it is a good amp, but I will think 'Do I really need it?'

Or in other words, what is the point of buying something where you will be using its 50-70% of power.

I am running XD400/4 and it is more than enough to power 150W RMS SWS-8s X 2 and 100W front mids X2.

With that amp, you will have to be careful with Jenherts as you do not want to fry them. (as Mob already mentioned).

What amps are in your mind for JL W7 subs?
      09-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #144
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Makkan the point is something called headroom. A good analogy is driving a car. Would you rather be driving a Ferrari at 100mph or a Honda at 100mph. Both can do 100mph but one has the extra power reserves when you need to go faster and the other will struggle to 100mph.

The same applies to amps. There are parts in music which that extra headroom will come into play. You will also have more undistorted SPL. These are some of the reasons i am introducing more headroom to my system.

Also you'll easily use up to 90% of the power of the HD. Its your choice but if the price is ok for you it would be a great investment.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #145
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
have you already got an amp for the JL sub then??
Nope dude, I plan on doing the boot stuff as part of the 2nd stage and didn't plan on getting anything for the boot for another couple of months, but if a w7 is being offered now at a good price, I'll consider it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
The HD series are very high quality amps. Price is cheap for that amp, would be good for your front stage. Maybe just turn the gains down for the Jehnerts a bit to be safe
Mo, thanks buddy, I'll see what the seller comes back with and hopefully if available.
      09-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #146
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Although it is a good amp, but I will think 'Do I really need it?'

Or in other words, what is the point of buying something where you will be using its 50-70% of power.

I am running XD400/4 and it is more than enough to power 150W RMS SWS-8s X 2 and 100W front mids X2.

With that amp, you will have to be careful with Jenherts as you do not want to fry them. (as Mob already mentioned).

What amps are in your mind for JL W7 subs?
Sam2,
There is a point you make and some will agree.. it really does depend how much you 'push' the system in its entireity. I tend to play it a little loud at times but that's occasional. The XD 400/4 is an excellent buy and something I will consider at my 2nd stage upgrade along with other decent 4 chn amps..

I don't know what amp I plan on getting for the JL w7 yet but I am starting to look around and read up as inevitably these things take time and I generally like to read and research before buying :-)

Quote:
Makkan the point is something called headroom. A good analogy is driving a car. Would you rather be driving a Ferrari at 100mph or a Honda at 100mph. Both can do 100mph but one has the extra power reserves when you need to go faster and the other will struggle to 100mph.

The same applies to amps. There are parts in music which that extra headroom will come into play. You will also have more undistorted SPL. These are some of the reasons i am introducing more headroom to my system.

Also you'll easily use up to 90% of the power of the HD. Its your choice but if the price is ok for you it would be a great investment.
Mob you have a valid point and something I have always done in my previous cars but wondering what the consensus is of the JL HD 600/4 for about £300 ish. It's not set in stone at all - I've only emailed the guy selling with my offer so awaiting news. It's tempting but simultaneously I am trying not to delve into buying my 2nd stage upgrade just yet LOL...
      09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #147
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

W7 is massively over priced for the performance, there I said it.

Seems there are plenty of sheep on this forum!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #148
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post

Everyone's opinion counts mate.

Could you list other decent subs for SQ in either 10" or 12"?
      09-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #149
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh

Have you installed your 3 way components and a sub yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #150
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Everyone's opinion counts mate.

Could you list other decent subs for SQ in either 10" or 12"?
When it comes to audio, no ones opinions matters MORE than your own ears.

Its no lie, I work in the car audio industry and have done so for over 10 yrs, mastering both SQ and SPL in award winning and UK record holding installs, aswell as running a sucessful distribution company for decade.

The W7 is a fine sub, but even by JL Audio its not there finest sounding sub in there arsenal, the W6v2 would be. But to me, its still overpriced.

I won't name 'names' i.e. alternative brands as clearly it will be in breach of the forum rules, possibly coming across as bias opinion. But something to bare in mind. The UK JL Audio distributors do not stock or hold recone kits/parts for W7s. That means if you accidentally broke the sub by puncturing the surround/cone, or if the triple neck join broke (I've repaired a number of these) you will not be able to get parts here. You either live with it or buy a new sub. Same goes if setup incorrectly you happened to blow it, at that point you really shouldn't be handling such a piece of equipment.

That shouldn't be the only thing making your decision but something to bare in mind..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #151
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Have you installed your 3 way components and a sub yet?
Yes I have, not the sub.. I honestly don't feel I need one just yet, the underseat 8s are enough to get the rear view mirror shaking..

Mosconi 6to8 going in next week when I get time
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #152
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Sir, you are right. Absolutely right.
Awbimmer mentioned somewhere that he is over stretching his budget. My comment reflects that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
+1

Though I have bought W7 but later I have been told that W6 is more musical and efficient.
      09-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #153
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

The JL HD is one of the best compact 4 channel amps out there. Of course there are others, but if the price suits you then go for it!

Agree with Mr Singh's suggestion that the W6 is more musical than the W7. I'm still undecided on mine, there are so many decent subs out there. I think a good starting point is if you want a SPL, SQ or SQL suited one. There are different subs and enclosures for each so thats something to consider.

Mr Singh - Wow those components sound like they perform pretty well. I'm going to have to pop down when you've finished, and maybe get some free advice
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #154
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Been reading some detailing threads on here and detailing world and thought I need to get started somewhere... sooooooooooooooooo, without going mad, I've just gone and bought me some Poorboys Leather Stuff and Autofinesse Spritz to start off with the interior haha.

I'm not touching the exterior just yet as it will / can get out of hand expenditure wise plus I'd rather get my audio install done first with all the 'in and out' of the car ripping it apart.

Only my passenger seat gets used and that too is seldom so only going to really apply the PB Leather Stuff onto the driver & passenger seat to bring back a newer look and a leave a good matt finish.

Then the Autofinesse Spritz on the rest of the interior bits n bobs (dash, trims etc). I read it leaves an awesom smell, is streak free and it's an excellent value product.

My only question is which polish / wax people would recommend on a Silver car? All I seem to be coming across is Dodo Wax - Purple something and PB products for darker coloured cars.

I'll be looking into the full package next year (i.e. lance, snow foam, DA etc etc) and thoroughly looking forward to it so be prepared to be bugged with the 'what to' and 'what not to'

Part of enjoying the car is to actually appreciate how good it looks when really cared for. I can't think of anything more rewarding than turning heads wherever you go as a result of spending those hours and hours caring for your pride and joy and giving it the time it needs to look better than 90% of the cars on the streets

Only by reading one of these threads will one truly be able to appreciate how much hard work actually goes into a car to keep it gleaming and shining.

EDIT: Also picked up an updated copy of 2012 PRO Satnav Disc for the iDrive incl. Speed Cameras - £10 job!! Not sure where one can go wrong TBH.

Last edited by AWBimmer; 09-30-2012 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 0