E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 318d n47 e90 short crank no start

05-13-2022, 06:28 PM   #1
zayst
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d e90

318d n47 e90 short crank no start

Hello
I have a 2008 bmw 318d e90 with n47 turbo diesel engine that went on fire due to a burst leak off pipe. Overall the damage wasn't too bad and was mostly on the exhaust side of the engine which melted wiring loom, rocker cover and dpf wiring. Long story short i replaced engine loom, leak off pipes and seals and rocker cover but still have to replace dpf sensors so I just left them unplugged for now in case the melted wires do more damage to the rest of the car and I also assume the car should at least crank with them unplugged? . I also replaced the starter loom as that also got damaged. Also replaced battery with known good battery from my 520d as the car did sit for a few months after the fire(with battery disconnected of course but I still changed it anyway). The issue I'm having now is it will crank for about 2 or 3 seconds then stop. No weird starter noises and it was perfect when it was last in use so I don't suspect the starter to be an issue. My guess is that the dde realises there is an issue somewhere and cuts power to the car as a safety precaution however I may be wrong. I have checked all fuses and relays in the glove box and in the engine bay next to the ecu. Nothing blown which I thought was strange considering lots of different wires made contact with each other. I also tested the fusible links above the battery in the boot. During the few seconds it does crank for the tachometer doesn't move which leads me to believe it is not getting a crank signal from crank sensor? I plugged in with snap on and I got about 8 or 9 codes that keep coming back after clearing such as maf and turbo activation. No codes concerning cam or crank sensors (could someone confirm that the vehicle will stop cranking if it does not detect a crank sensor signal in the first 3 seconds of cranking?). There was also a code for oil pressure switch plausability which was not there before the fire and it is definitely connected. Maybe just a coincidence? I will attach a full list of reoccurring codes in the morning. Maybe the ecu is fried which I would not be surprised with however I assume it would have blown a fuse or two if that was the case? Any input at all is greatly appreciated thanks in advance
Appreciate 0