E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > UR Downpipe Worries!!!

08-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Question UR Downpipe Worries!!!

Well I'm not exactly a god of knowledge so I come to E-90 for ome advice. Yesterday I ordered Catless Downpipes from Utimate-Racing and full exhaust. Now I'm worried that I will receive a code to Check Engine. The tech who answered the phone at UR told me it might throw a code but he said that his shop car has not thrown a code during the whole 600 or so miles of testing and doubts that my car will throw a code.

Now the tricky part. I called a local shop that specializes in German cars, especially BMW and a tech told me the car will definitely throw a code. He said to make sure something about the O2 sensors was correct pre-cat and post-cat. I understand there are 2 or 3 O2 sensors on the exhaust, but I am not sure if eliminating these will throw a code or not?

So the questions are: will this exhaust and downpipe combo throw a code? and, if so, will the car not make the correct air/fuel ratio? and also, will this actually make me lose some performance with the car not being able to determine any information from the O2 sensors?

I gladly accept all oppinions, thanks in advance for them.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Well I'm not exactly a god of knowledge so I come to E-90 for ome advice. Yesterday I ordered Catless Downpipes from Utimate-Racing and full exhaust. Now I'm worried that I will receive a code to Check Engine. The tech who answered the phone at UR told me it might throw a code but he said that his shop car has not thrown a code during the whole 600 or so miles of testing and doubts that my car will throw a code.

Now the tricky part. I called a local shop that specializes in German cars, especially BMW and a tech told me the car will definitely throw a code. He said to make sure something about the O2 sensors was correct pre-cat and post-cat. I understand there are 2 or 3 O2 sensors on the exhaust, but I am not sure if eliminating these will throw a code or not?

So the questions are: will this exhaust and downpipe combo throw a code? and, if so, will the car not make the correct air/fuel ratio? and also, will this actually make me lose some performance with the car not being able to determine any information from the O2 sensors?

I gladly accept all oppinions, thanks in advance for them.
I have Downpipes and my car doesnt throw any codes...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Ours didn't throw any either. You should be fine. However some other board members have thrown...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

The biggest thing is.... if you do infact put the 02 sensor in the wrong downpipe you will throw a CEL almost Imediatley!

There are 2 02 sensors... black and grey plug. the black plug 02 sensor goes into the Bigger or yet LONGER downpipe...and the grey plug goes into the shorter downpipe...

or in other terms..
For Black Plug... goes into Downpipe for CYL 1-3...
For Grey Plug... goes into Downpipe for CYL 4-6

make sure you check that!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

theres no saying whether or no the ECU is logging it w/o throwing a code though either, id like to see someone w/ DPs go in and check with a tech they know w/ their car
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
theres no saying whether or no the ECU is logging it w/o throwing a code though either, id like to see someone w/ DPs go in and check with a tech they know w/ their car
I am sure you didnt get a chance to read the 30+ pages of the Riss Racing thread...

however we brought my car into the dealership with some friends that we know...the car passed with no CELs and no Pending CEL's in the ECU at all! also passed through their system "as if the cat was there" is what they said.

So I have already brought it in to the dealer with my tech and it came 100% clear!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks all for the help! You guys made me feel a little more secure about punching holes in the ozone. I can't wait to see the power I get from the DP and full exhaust. I will do a dyno as soon as I can. Then next month I am going to order my PROcede. Serious power laying right there.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
jhilsinho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I 07

Keep us informed in the progress!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I will. I am considering installing them on my own. I'll post pics of the work whether or not I or someone else is doing it. Should look good. And I will post a video with the sound of the new exhaust . The catless downpipes will sound mean with the exhaust
Appreciate 0