E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > e92 aftermarket stereo install

09-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
e92 aftermarket stereo install

So my son got a 2010 e92 BMW 328ix coupe this summer as his first car [purchased on his own] as he headed into his freshman year of college. Unfortunately it came with its pre 2009 BMW stereo without BT, nav, or basically anything. But that was fortunate too as it came with the Base BMW stereo too which made upgrading it to current audio standards pretty easy.

After extensive research on the forum and stickys from all of you guys finally decided on an aftermarket setup with double DIN stereo head unit with Apple Carplay option. Eventually went with Pioneer's MVH-2400NEX unit as he didn't really need CD access (last CD he bought may have been prior to HS I think - met too) and features like Spotify, Pandora, and ITune access were more important which this unit has via wired Apple Carplay. Of note liked the comparable units from Kenwood and Alpine especially the wireless Carplay version of Alpine's ILX-107 [sorry too much price wise] but the Pioneer seemed to be the best buy for the features and availability. Parts were easy to obtain via Crutchfield and online also....he went with Crutchfield due to price and quick shipping and we got the parts all required for installation.

Now installation was originally going to be done by my son under my supervision...however unfamiliarity with BMW and the need for time and some access to some of the BMW particulars for parts and running wires and electronics made it a better choice to leave it a professional local car install shop [great job Inphase Audio/Stereo if ever in Omaha, NE give them a call!]. So 3 hrs later about two weeks ago install was completed and everything looks great and works as advertised...almost!

Only issues so far were 1) shop installer seemed to ignore the advice to run a constant 12V wire from the battery to the head unit to prevent loss of memory/info after shutting down the vehicle. Told them about this and reminded them that without this many others had said they would lose memory functions and consistently have to reset the radio. Looks like they tried to find a 12V power supply someplace else...lighter maybe or somewhere else under the dash...unsuccessfully so for the 1st week every time he turned off the car for more than 1-2 hrs the power to the radio/head unit harness would time out (of course as BMW's do and everyone said it would) and he'd have to reset the radio's functions (clock, time, date, cameras, etc). Radio worked flawlessly otherwise and all functions were as expected other than this little bit. Easily fixed once explained again to the shop manager and 12v constant was run from the battery this weekend and viola no more resets.

Only additional problem currently is that the car now shows what seems to be the SOS warning [missing OEM radio] now that the aftermarket radio is installed. Since the car is now 9 yrs old; there was no reason to even worry about this as SOS service is not longer supported I am told for this function and model by BMW Roadside assistance and even if it was...not needed by my son....as I said its almost 10 yrs old technology. So now trying to figure out how to code this out or remove the error. Saw one of two mentions of this and to expect it and some mention about inability to update the car by the BMW dealership but not worried about that really to be honest realistically as we're talking about a 10 yr old car and I do not think BMW is really publishing updates for the e92 series anymore. So I am okay with that. We kept the old OEM radio but declined the trunk install as some have done for this reason. So we'll see.

In any event thought I'd share the experience and some of the pics as searching for prior installs and experience did help in this project. Thanks to all.

Parts used were:
1. Metra 98-9306 Dash Kit [for climate controls relocation - pretty good fit and placement]
2. American International BMWK320 Dash Kit [best one so far I could find; fit and finish acceptable. Not fully OEM looking but as close as possible I could find]
3. Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter [no issues - great reception for non HD radio
4. Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter [easy to program and all steering functions easily programmed into new Pioneer unit to include voice control for Siri]
5. Axxess LC-BMRC-01 Wiring Interface [needed to keep function of chimes and access to some OEM BMW noises after removal of OEM head unit; your chimes will be there but a lot softer than prior...no big deal]
6. Crutchfield ReadyHarness Service [they will ready provide a pre-wired harness for your head unit to plug direct into your OEM harness for a fee. Not bad idea and prevents you from having to splice and cut any wires and keeps things OEM for a retrofit/reversal later as well as provides a cleaner install - definitely appreciated]
7. LYNN Vehicle Backup Camera, Rear View Camera Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Camera for B M W X Series 1 Series 3 Series 5 Series E90 E91 E92 320i [found this on Amazon.com and it fit right in one of the rear license plate light assemblies as a plug n play replacement. Great picture so far and even has fixed backup lines. Works as advertised once car is put in reverse. Price was right too versus some other more expensive models we'll see how reliable it proves to be but so far so good - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ie=UTF8&psc=1]
Attached Images

'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

To code out SOS error
skip to entry 9 in the following link
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805677

To get a coding setup bimmergeeks.net cable
45 bucks Instructions to set up and use
see coding sub forum.

head unit
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=head+unit
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1457320
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036190
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=dynavin
http://www.janus-design.net/english/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355089
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=head+unit
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=retrofit
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993447
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016187
https://www.bmwgm5.com/Logic7_E90_91_92_93.htm

There are some recalls out.
BMW has a site to check your cars VIN.
It's not always totally accurate.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-30-2018 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 02:25 AM   #3
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Thanks for the update and message. Yes I had the car done during the last time it was at the dealership for PPI and look see after purchase in June. They did all the open recalls on the car (there were three of them) and updated anything needed. Said that they are not that frequent anymore for e92s...one was airbag and the other was some heater core issue I believe...so feel better that it should be otherwise good to go. Have a coding cable from my F80 M3 leftover so that should suffice no? If so just need the software correct? Thanks again...
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

From 06 up to the F30 series(2013)a K/d can cable is
what is required. Don't know if that is in the same years
as what you mentioned.
I think enet cables were used after that.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Does the HU have built in Navi? One of my biggest issues is that many double dins that offer CarPlay no longer include stock Navi

And still command a premium price of course
      10-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Damaskus325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328ix sport package

I know my initial install was a pain with the Axxess harness. It costs a bit more but the PAC harness I have with my aftermarket deck is awesome. Came with steering wheel control and NAV gps support. It even came with the little speaker for the chimes if your car didn't have one (some don't). Here is link if you decide you need a new harness. This one will get rid of the SOS error. If you had dealer code out issues with recall fixes, not sure this will be of any help though. Just figured I would let ya know.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-MENkT5...Interface.html
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
blkbtty
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
So my son got a 2010 e92 BMW 328ix coupe this summer as his first car [purchased on his own] as he headed into his freshman year of college. Unfortunately it came with its pre 2009 BMW stereo without BT, nav, or basically anything. But that was fortunate too as it came with the Base BMW stereo too which made upgrading it to current audio standards pretty easy.

After extensive research on the forum and stickys from all of you guys finally decided on an aftermarket setup with double DIN stereo head unit with Apple Carplay option. Eventually went with Pioneer's MVH-2400NEX unit as he didn't really need CD access (last CD he bought may have been prior to HS I think - met too) and features like Spotify, Pandora, and ITune access were more important which this unit has via wired Apple Carplay. Of note liked the comparable units from Kenwood and Alpine especially the wireless Carplay version of Alpine's ILX-107 [sorry too much price wise] but the Pioneer seemed to be the best buy for the features and availability. Parts were easy to obtain via Crutchfield and online also....he went with Crutchfield due to price and quick shipping and we got the parts all required for installation.

Now installation was originally going to be done by my son under my supervision...however unfamiliarity with BMW and the need for time and some access to some of the BMW particulars for parts and running wires and electronics made it a better choice to leave it a professional local car install shop [great job Inphase Audio/Stereo if ever in Omaha, NE give them a call!]. So 3 hrs later about two weeks ago install was completed and everything looks great and works as advertised...almost!

Only issues so far were 1) shop installer seemed to ignore the advice to run a constant 12V wire from the battery to the head unit to prevent loss of memory/info after shutting down the vehicle. Told them about this and reminded them that without this many others had said they would lose memory functions and consistently have to reset the radio. Looks like they tried to find a 12V power supply someplace else...lighter maybe or somewhere else under the dash...unsuccessfully so for the 1st week every time he turned off the car for more than 1-2 hrs the power to the radio/head unit harness would time out (of course as BMW's do and everyone said it would) and he'd have to reset the radio's functions (clock, time, date, cameras, etc). Radio worked flawlessly otherwise and all functions were as expected other than this little bit. Easily fixed once explained again to the shop manager and 12v constant was run from the battery this weekend and viola no more resets.

Only additional problem currently is that the car now shows what seems to be the SOS warning [missing OEM radio] now that the aftermarket radio is installed. Since the car is now 9 yrs old; there was no reason to even worry about this as SOS service is not longer supported I am told for this function and model by BMW Roadside assistance and even if it was...not needed by my son....as I said its almost 10 yrs old technology. So now trying to figure out how to code this out or remove the error. Saw one of two mentions of this and to expect it and some mention about inability to update the car by the BMW dealership but not worried about that really to be honest realistically as we're talking about a 10 yr old car and I do not think BMW is really publishing updates for the e92 series anymore. So I am okay with that. We kept the old OEM radio but declined the trunk install as some have done for this reason. So we'll see.

In any event thought I'd share the experience and some of the pics as searching for prior installs and experience did help in this project. Thanks to all.

Parts used were:
1. Metra 98-9306 Dash Kit [for climate controls relocation - pretty good fit and placement]
2. American International BMWK320 Dash Kit [best one so far I could find; fit and finish acceptable. Not fully OEM looking but as close as possible I could find]
3. Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter [no issues - great reception for non HD radio
4. Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter [easy to program and all steering functions easily programmed into new Pioneer unit to include voice control for Siri]
5. Axxess LC-BMRC-01 Wiring Interface [needed to keep function of chimes and access to some OEM BMW noises after removal of OEM head unit; your chimes will be there but a lot softer than prior...no big deal]
6. Crutchfield ReadyHarness Service [they will ready provide a pre-wired harness for your head unit to plug direct into your OEM harness for a fee. Not bad idea and prevents you from having to splice and cut any wires and keeps things OEM for a retrofit/reversal later as well as provides a cleaner install - definitely appreciated]
7. LYNN Vehicle Backup Camera, Rear View Camera Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Camera for B M W X Series 1 Series 3 Series 5 Series E90 E91 E92 320i [found this on Amazon.com and it fit right in one of the rear license plate light assemblies as a plug n play replacement. Great picture so far and even has fixed backup lines. Works as advertised once car is put in reverse. Price was right too versus some other more expensive models we'll see how reliable it proves to be but so far so good - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ie=UTF8&psc=1]
Did you have any problems with the vehicle? i installed everything and when i let my car sleep over night and i unlock it in the morning it's slow to wake up. sometimes up to a minute, no lights, interior lights, gongs, nothing. any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you work on your car for extended amount of time
without the battery disconnected it will drain the battery.
Measure the battery and put it on a battery tender or tricke
charger until full which will mean 5 hours or more.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
805_N54
805_N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 335i (Sedan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbtty View Post
Did you have any problems with the vehicle? i installed everything and when i let my car sleep over night and i unlock it in the morning it's slow to wake up. sometimes up to a minute, no lights, interior lights, gongs, nothing. any ideas?
Did you ever figure out this issue? I am having the same problem after installing an aftermarket audio system (amp, head unit, front speakers). It's slow af in the morning to "wake up" like you said but is better throughout the day. Still varies in time it takes to flash lights on unlock.

Audio tech nor myself have been able to find a solution online, or even anyone else talking about it. Thinking it could be a battery issue as my new system is pushing a lot more power.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:04 AM   #10
totalguy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Where did you wire in the permanent live? im trying to do mine but it seems if i wire the red wire on the iso adaptor to the fuseboard the unit is always on even when the key is out and i can't turn it off

ive a similar pioneer unit mine is a AVIC-F77DAB
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:07 AM   #11
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalguy View Post
Where did you wire in the permanent live? im trying to do mine but it seems if i wire the red wire on the iso adaptor to the fuseboard the unit is always on even when the key is out and i can't turn it off

ive a similar pioneer unit mine is a AVIC-F77DAB
Red from the HU should be the remote/ignition wire. It's the yellow you want to connect to the constant power.
      10-18-2021, 06:17 AM   #12
totalguy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Red from the HU should be the remote/ignition wire. It's the yellow you want to connect to the constant power.
yellow goes to the wire on the radio harness which i believe you said should be ignition live the red wire comes off the iso adaptor with a long wire.

although i can swap the red and yellow round on the stereo harness as they conveniently added connections you can undo.

i should try to find the pinouts for the head unit wiring so that I can make sure i know which wire on that harness is supposed to be constant and which is supposed to be permanent
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50