E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil Filter Housing Mounting Surface, Corner Bolt Hole Broken Off

09-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
mississippiBMW
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Oil Filter Housing Mounting Surface, Corner Bolt Hole Broken Off

Hey guys,

A friend of mine wanted me to repair his OFHG on his 2008 328i. It appears that a previous owner worked on this....and broke off the corner of the mounting surface on the engine. I discovered this when removing the front bolt. The previous owner had repaired this corner with some type of putty/epoxy material.....possibly JB Weld or Belzona.

I'm wondering what is the best way to go about repairing this? Is a cold weld material plausible....or will this need to be fixed by braze welding?

I've never had to perform cast iron repair haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

The same spot is broken on mine. It's been JB welded for about 20,000 miles and it's been fine so far. There isn't much pressure there...the bolt is only compressing the gasket rather than fastening metal to metal. I've also been trying to figure out what to do about it, but it's been fine with the epoxy so far.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

This is most likely the result of a ham-fisted gorilla over torquing the bolt and cracking the head. I'd have the car towed, have the head tig welded, resurfaced and re-tapped at an automotive machine shop.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251662.00
      09-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
mississippiBMW
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Efthreeoh,

Would this require removing the cylinder head or could it be performed while still attached to the engine?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

TBH the simplest thing to do would be to replace the head (used N52 heads with low miles are pretty cheap). Or leave it be if it's working ok.

You could try to weld it in place, but I think that will be tough, especially since now the surface is contaminated with both oil and whatever epoxy that is. You can't braze aluminum as far as I know..
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiBMW View Post
Efthreeoh,

Would this require removing the cylinder head or could it be performed while still attached to the engine?
Hass does have a good point that there is some epoxy in the joint now, but it should wire brush out. MIG might yield a better repair. Thinking more about it, I'd weld a new larger block of aluminum in the area, then fitting the OFH and making a new bolt hole. I'd think the alternator and radiator need to come out at a minimum to get some room.

Maybe affix a 1/4 aluminum plate to the head sandwitched inbetween the head and the OFH. It'd have to be machined of course to make the oil and coolant passages.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-24-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

how much is all of that going to cost though. a good used head is like $300, it could be swapped at home in a weekend. Unless he owns an aluminum welder and knows how to do the repair himself, he's going to be paying a lot of labor.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

i would either go the epoxy route and see if that doesnt hold.....if not i would fab up a notch and pull type screw to keep it sealed for a on the cheap fix.
the stealer would probably replace the head
GLop
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 01:30 AM   #9
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiBMW View Post
Hey guys,

A friend of mine wanted me to repair his OFHG on his 2008 328i. It appears that a previous owner worked on this....and broke off the corner of the mounting surface on the engine. I discovered this when removing the front bolt. The previous owner had repaired this corner with some type of putty/epoxy material.....possibly JB Weld or Belzona.

Is that the picture from internet or the real one you are working on?
If latter, there seems to be enough left on the main part for the bolt head to hold on to. My guess that is why the epoxy was holding on. Keep it same, as long as bolt can hold on there and apply enough pressure to clamp the gasket it would be fine. If you think the leak was because of that bolt, that is a different matter.
If ain't broken don't fix it, if ain't broken that bad to fix it, still don't fix it
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 09:46 PM   #10
Vnon3luv
Rep
Drives: E90

Mine broke off too, try jb weld didn't hold, simple solution!! Just put a washer on and tighten it, the washer will hit against the engine block while you tighten.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      10-06-2022, 05:17 PM   #11
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vnon3luv View Post
Mine broke off too, try jb weld didn't hold, simple solution!! Just put a washer on and tighten it, the washer will hit against the engine block while you tighten.
Nice idea there, looks like it should probably work fine. As I mentioned before all that bolt is doing is pulling the gasket tight, so it shouldn't be too hard to get it to seal.

The JB weld on mine is still holding up fine after about 60k miles. Same gasket, no leaks, JB weld still appears to be holding. I guess I'll find out if I ever have to replace the gasket but it's been fine so far.
Appreciate 2
      10-06-2022, 10:08 PM   #12
Vnon3luv
Rep
Drives: E90

QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vnon3luv View Post
Nice idea there, looks like it should probably work fine. As I mentioned before all that bolt is doing is pulling the gasket tight, so it shouldn't be too hard to get it to seal.

The JB weld on mine is still holding up fine after about 60k miles. Same gasket, no leaks, JB weld still appears to be holding. I guess I'll find out if I ever have to replace the gasket but it's been fine so far.

I think why it didn't work because I try J-B Weld 37901 ExtremeHeat High Temperature Resistant Metallic instead of the original J-B weld. Regardless whichever materials you have in hand J-B weld original or put a washer.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2024, 03:04 PM   #13
SalPal727
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i

Is there a way just to replace whole thing i have problem where thing that holds hoes that pushes coolant trough broke off and i need to replace it i need as much info as possible like part number i have 2008 bmw 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 06:21 PM   #14
chilledn52
Parts Pro
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Have had the same problem myself from previous owner. the same crack location plus even little bit of the flat lower half. i tightened it down with the broken piece in there. Did multiple layers of Permatex Cold Weld, letting each layer cure in between coats. without coolant in the system for a dry mating area. there might be slight troubles removing housing (as the cold weld is holding the housing to block) when i need to but everything is sealed and FINALLY not leaking on me. (been 2 weeks)
      04-17-2024, 01:48 AM   #15
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalPal727 View Post
Is there a way just to replace whole thing i have problem where thing that holds hoes that pushes coolant trough broke off and i need to replace it i need as much info as possible like part number i have 2008 bmw 328i
goto realoem.com , enter your car model year etc then browse the parts.

2008 328i oil filter housing section from realoem.com:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3867
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #16
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
goto realoem.com , enter your car model year etc then browse the parts.

2008 328i oil filter housing section from realoem.com:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3867
RealOEM will get you the parts numbers needed. However the above link is to the good side and not the damaged as someone else said cylinder head side of things where the broken hole is.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #17
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep

From the description, which is vague, SalPal727 gave to which I had replied to, it sounded like his problem is on the oil filter housing itself
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:21 PM   #18
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
From the description, which is vague, SalPal727 gave to which I had replied to, it sounded like his problem is on the oil filter housing itself
Except every single photo and following response indicate otherwise. But yea RealOEM is where it's at for getting parts numbers.
Appreciate 0