E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > DISA VALVE - broken flap and missing pin - help!

06-21-2014, 01:13 AM   #1
Cabobimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Question DISA VALVE - broken flap and missing pin - help!

Hi all and thank you for sharing your experience.

I have an E90 325i 2006 (European) 3 stage intake manifold (2 DISA VALVES)

I have had some random misfire specially at idle, sometimes very noticeable, sometimes not much and sometimes perfect idle.

NO warning on the dash but once a week I scan my car with DIS software and test many components just to check their condition. DISA VALVES. 2 times showed inaccurate values, reset them, recheck and were fine then.

A few days ago my starter died so I ordered the parts to do it myself, since the starter in under the intake manifold I had to remove it. I disconnect the big DISA VALVE and remove the torx screws and tried to remove it but couldn't take it out because a piece of metal blocked its way so I left it for now and would check the valve later once the intake manifold was out (I left it inside but not screws. While moving the manifold up, down, back and forth to access all the connectors and hoses was no noise or anything strange but when I finally took it out and turn it upside down I heard and felt something big rolling inside. I was so focus on the noise that I didn't see anything falling from the manifold and put it in the floor. I removed the metal piece blocking the DISA and when I took the DISA out the flap wasn't on its place! The plastic pin broke from the base so it was a big pice of it missing and I haven't been able to find it :dunno:

hosting image

I checked the small DISA and even if it is in one piece the flap moves freely so I ordered both to replace them. I have been trying to find the missing pin but NADA NADA NADA, I washed deeply the Manifold and inspected inside of the valves at the engine and everything looks ok. The thing is that I am afraid to assemble my car and the missing pin got or gets inside of the engine making huge and expensive damage.

What guys do you think? Should I worry?

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Did you remove the belly pan underneath the engine to see if it fell and is resting there? If it's not in the manifold nor in an intake port, hopefully it fell somewhere harmless within the engine bay or on the floor. I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky for it to have rolled through the manifold, into an intake port, and past an open valve without getting stuck along the way. Hope you find it!
      06-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Cabobimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
Did you remove the belly pan underneath the engine to see if it fell and is resting there? If it's not in the manifold nor in an intake port, hopefully it fell somewhere harmless within the engine bay or on the floor. I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky for it to have rolled through the manifold, into an intake port, and past an open valve without getting stuck along the way. Hope you find it!
I have been looking allover and even gave a deep wash to the intake manifold with engine degreaser then dish soap and water rinse. I am thinking on removing the valve cover gasket and replace them once I am there and see if it's inside but the missing pin (if it didn't brake into small pieces) is too big to go and get inside an intake port it runs all the way inside of the flap. but I can't sleep thinking where it might be and if felt during the manifold removal or it happened before.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

If you checked thoroughly the intake ports and all the plastic tubing of the manifold and didn't found it, it is lost somewhere harmless, or it already got digested (without making damages, lucky you).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:56 AM   #5
akhilleus
New
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

I realize this is an old thread. For anyone who stumbles on it, I had this exact issue on an E90 328i with a swapped intake. The DISA flap pin on the upper unit broke and got sucked into intake valve 11 on cyl 6. It forced the intake valve to stay open, which in turn allowed the cam followers to fall off of their tracks. Every shop I talked to said to replace the whole long block. The intake cam had a little bit of rubbing on the shaft between lobes. I pulled the pin out of the intake valve, replaced those valvetrain parts + DISA valve and she fired right up. With nothing to lose, the engine was saved and has been happily ripping the past 15k miles. Just gonna send it!
Appreciate 0