E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > All new suspension components. Still having shimmy/vibration issues.

09-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #1
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

All new suspension components. Still having shimmy/vibration issues.

I'm getting frustrated with this constant battle of chasing vibrations, oscillations, and shimmys. Heres what i've dealt with and fixed over the past 4 months so far.

Vibration under braking. Turned out to be warped rotors. Replaced front rotors and pads.

Vibration at freeway speeds. Turned out to be 2 bent front wheels. Replaced all 4 wheels and tires.

Vibration under braking (again). Turned out to be control arm/thrust rod bushings. Replaced with the M3 upgrade kit, along with all new suspension mounts, hardware, and ST coilovers.

The car is currently at 90k miles. During the suspension/control arm refresh I checked the tierods and swaybar links and they felt rock solid. After the alignment, which everything aligned as it should, I noticed a new shimmy/vibration at freeway speeds. The vibration typically happens under mild acceleration around 70/80mph. Around those speeds and above there is a high frequency shimmy in the steering wheel, which is visibly noticeable when I take my hands off the wheel. It is nowhere near as noticeable as the other ones, but it is still bothersome especially after all the work I have done to the car.

Does anyone have any idea as to what it might be? At this point i'm entirely stumped.

Thanks y'all
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
refugeeofwar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Garage List
did you just bend another rim?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugeeofwar View Post
did you just bend another rim?
No. They balance just fine. I haven't tried road force testing them, but thats because I haven't had a reason to. Both my old front wheels bent from hitting a metal plate in the road and I haven't had a incident similar to that since getting the new wheels.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
get the tires and rims checked, road force balanced again., I had similar problem and turned out to be same pattern as yours and in the end after fixing bent rims, front suspension parts also I replaced rear shocks which were shot, turned out to be tire set, they were new, so I got replacement tires, so far car runs good

Last edited by SHEEDI; 09-19-2018 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
No. They balance just fine. I haven't tried road force testing them, but thats because I haven't had a reason to. Both my old front wheels bent from hitting a metal plate in the road and I haven't had a incident similar to that since getting the new wheels.
Usually when you have hit front, most probably your rear got hit also, you know what I mean, you didn't avoid rears white hitting fronts , get all four rims checked. my two shops overlooked and initially they said its one rim bent, turned out I had three bent rims
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Usually when you have hit front, most probably your rear got hit also, you know what I mean, you didn't avoid rears white hitting fronts , get all four rims checked. my two shops overlooked and initially they said its one rim bent, turned out I had three bent rims
Going to road force balance them today to double check everything. I really hope they aren't bent, as I just got them. When my OEM wheels were bent I knew exactly when it happened. With these, I cant recall any instance where I hit a pothole or big bump. I also have quite a bit of sidewall with my setup, so if they are bent I'll be impressed.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #7
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

I had a vibration over 80mph, It did not bother me to much. I happened to get a great deal on Yellow Koni front struts. After changing the front struts and strut bushing its smooth even over 100mph. I have a 09 335i with 95k miles.
The struts did not have much resistance and the strut bushing was about 1/4 inch shorter then the new one. good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
I had a vibration over 80mph, It did not bother me to much. I happened to get a great deal on Yellow Koni front struts. After changing the front struts and strut bushing its smooth even over 100mph. I have a 09 335i with 95k miles.
The struts did not have much resistance and the strut bushing was about 1/4 inch shorter then the new one. good luck
This is an oft-overlooked culprit regarding vibrations felt through the steering. I know OP mentioned that he has new ST coilovers, but I'm curious about the upper strut mounts/bushings. Did OP replace those too, or reuse the originals? If replaced, what brand? I've heard reviews of folks having bad luck with non-OE or non-OEM upper strut mounts.

Check out this video:
The first 30 seconds are all you need to see. I'm not sure if this guy's problem was installation error or crappy Chinesium parts (or a bit of column A and a bit of column B), but in any event, an upper strut bushing had bit the dust and the failure was manifesting itself as a shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speeds. This instance was obviously a pretty bad failure immediately visible to the naked eye, but I suspect a part that is "only" severely worn, would cause a similar problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
This is an oft-overlooked culprit regarding vibrations felt through the steering. I know OP mentioned that he has new ST coilovers, but I'm curious about the upper strut mounts/bushings. Did OP replace those too, or reuse the originals? If replaced, what brand? I've heard reviews of folks having bad luck with non-OE or non-OEM upper strut mounts.

Check out this video:
The first 30 seconds are all you need to see. I'm not sure if this guy's problem was installation error or crappy Chinesium parts (or a bit of column A and a bit of column B), but in any event, an upper strut bushing had bit the dust and the failure was manifesting itself as a shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speeds. This instance was obviously a pretty bad failure immediately visible to the naked eye, but I suspect a part that is "only" severely worn, would cause a similar problem.
I replaced all of the "supporting hardware" (shock mounts, spring pads, etc) with FCP euro's stuff. Everything was the same quality as OEM.

After throwing my front wheels and tires on the roadforce machine, there was only the slightest imbalance on my front left wheel. It only took a 15g wheel weight to fix it, which seems like a really small imbalance for the vibration I was feeling. Both wheels had no bends or deformations in them.

I haven't had a chance to drive on the freeway yet, but the steering does feel a hair smoother. Will check back after I put some more miles on it.
Appreciate 0