E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW Discontinues Perf Exhaust (2018), Alternatives?

04-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

BMW Discontinues Perf Exhaust (2018), Alternatives?

I picked up a 2011 328ix Msport wagon in January and have been slowly modifying it with either OEM BMW Performance Parts, or BMW Euro parts and had finally gotten to the exhaust. It appears that now (April 2018) BMW has decided to discontinue the E9x Performance Exhaust... seriously!! If you can find one please let me know. PM me if you have one and want to sell.

Anyway, my goal for this car was to do an OEM+ build using as many BMW performance parts as possible to try and retain as much of the value of the car, but this introduces a new challenge to the process.

In every forum I've read, the majority of users always recommend the PE for a nice sound, without drone, or an overt increase in sound. In light of the PE exhaust being continued, worry that others might stop production as well so want to act fast. Recommendations for sporter sound within realm of something that might still be construed as a part the BMW might have tossed on? Considering Eisenmann, Rouge, Remus, or other.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quart View Post
I picked up a 2011 328ix Msport wagon in January and have been slowly modifying it with either OEM BMW Performance Parts, or BMW Euro parts and had finally gotten to the exhaust. It appears that now (April 2018) BMW has decided to discontinue the E9x Performance Exhaust... seriously!! If you can find one please let me know. PM me if you have one and want to sell.

Anyway, my goal for this car was to do an OEM+ build using as many BMW performance parts as possible to try and retain as much of the value of the car, but this introduces a new challenge to the process.

In every forum I've read, the majority of users always recommend the PE for a nice sound, without drone, or an overt increase in sound. In light of the PE exhaust being continued, worry that others might stop production as well so want to act fast. Recommendations for sporter sound within realm of something that might still be construed as a part the BMW might have tossed on? Considering Eisenmann, Rouge, Remus, or other.
This is interesting info. I googled and found threads back in 2015 saying the same thing, so are we certain this is legit? I bought my PE from a dealer off eBay (BMW of El Cajon) last year and another member bought one from the same dealer back in Nov or Dec I think.

A lot of folks are just modding their OEM muffler and seem to be quite happy with the sound and cost. You can find threads on this in the forums. Note that the PE really doesn't add any gains, so if you just want sounds the cheapest would be mod the OEM muffler or maybe just throw an aftermarket muffler on.

ECS seems to still show it available: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...m/18102208793/

Here's the eBay vendor. I paid $909 shipped directly, and the other member called the dealer and said it was sold cheaper and got his for $900. Call these guys directly and see if they'll play ball.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Factory...NRrgQM&vxp=mtr

Last edited by martinm0; 04-17-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

There was an older version that has long been discontinued. Where did you get your info? Crevier is down the road from me and they're they highest volume BMW dealer in the country. I'll call the parts dept and see what's up if it seems worthwhile.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_0053
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

I've spent the morning making calls to no avail... I am looking for part # 18102208793, which ECS says their availability date is early May which they admit is an estimate based on the last time they ordered them, but it is showing as discontinued for them as well. Same with Turner, Modbargin and the three BMW deals I called. My local dealer said there was one dealer in California showing they had one in stock, but I figured shipping would put it in SuperSprinter territory. So unless someone has the PE sitting in a warehouse someplace, any company that sources them or drop-ships directly from BMW will come up goose egg. At least one ebay seller, might be the same one you posted, after contacting them said more or less same thing, but tried to tell me it was on back order. If someone has different information let me know... I had planned on doing this mod in June after I recovered from my tax bill to uncle sam, but if I found one I would try and act fast.

If anyone finds one for under $1000 still in stock someplace let me know, otherwise I'd still like answers to my other questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Hmmm. Interesting. First and foremost, good luck my friend!

I purchased mine from BMW of El Cajon (the linked eBay thread), and haggled with them. That said, it looks like they've definitely raised their "asking price" on eBay, so maybe they got the memo as well and have jacked the price back up to MSRP. Or, maybe that isn't the case at all and you just need to "make an offer" via eBay and see what happens. Can't hurt? That's what I did! I wouldn't bother calling though. I called and the parts guy was a little dickish. I referenced the eBay Auction and he basically said "well, go there then." So I did. I was trying to save them the eBay fees but whatever!

I'd imagine that ECS will manage to get a couple, if there are any left in the pipeline, so worse case scenario, I'd make an order with them and patiently wait. Their price is really good, too, best I've seen published online yet. And I'm 99% sure they will have free shipping on top of that $959.. hard to beat for OEM BMW PE!

IF you have to go with something other than the BMW PE, Eisenmann would be my choice for sure. IMO Eisenmann is one of the best names in exhaust. AFTER I bought my PE I found the Eisanmann system I'd want (louder Race version which I believe even comes with catless section 1) for about $1200. Can't beat that for a FULL exhaust system starting at the manifolds vs. PE which is just a cat-back system.

I wouldn't worry about other name-brand manufacturers discontinuing anything like BMW may be. BMW is in the biz to sell cars. These exhaust systems are just extra, and they know that as the cars get older, less customers will want to purchase new exhaust for them. It just isn't worth it to them to perpetually offer everything. But exhaust manufacturers like Eisenmann do this and only this. Their factory has plenty of room for tooling, etc. They aren't going anywhere for many years to come.

Cheers
-aM

Last edited by atmosphericM; 04-17-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
OH WAIT, PM TaskMaster. He is about to sell his BMW PE, I believe.. and he's in FL!

#MatchMaker
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      04-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
OH WAIT, PM TaskMaster. He is about to sell his BMW PE, I believe.. and he's in FL!

#MatchMaker
Thanks PM sent to him, hoping the right guy.

I've also made an offer to El Cajon dealer... I recognize that by creating this thread I may have lite a fire under one or two other people who are in the same boat as me, but if you find one before me, respect to ya.

In meantime, I'll research modding OEM exhaust, along with doing custom one...although the oem look of the Eisenmann is appealing. Some in my local BMW club are recommending the Dinan, but at $1600 for a muffler only I'm not really feeling it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've heard the Dinan is very quiet, and if you're looking for name recognition, it's hard to beat Dinan in the US BMW market. That said, eh, it's not my cup of tea, especially for the price. IMO everything Dinan does is overpriced, and now that it looks like they're losing BMW's support.. yeah.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #9
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just called my local BMW parts manager and he seems to be confirming that he no option to order the PE from BMW now either. No idea when the change happened (he doesn't sell much for the E9X's).
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      04-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I know it's awful but I'm happy to hear it lol. I haz rare parts! Sorry OP But seriously I hope you find one, especially because the apparent discontinue just occurred.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #11
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep

Just got off the phone with Crevier Parts. He says there is no indication in their system that the PN is discontinued, but that there are 0 available in the US and 0 available in DE so they can't even place an order for it.

He is emailing someone higher up the chain re: discontinuation and he says he will get back to me soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've heard the Dinan is very quiet, and if you're looking for name recognition, it's hard to beat Dinan in the US BMW market. That said, eh, it's not my cup of tea, especially for the price. IMO everything Dinan does is overpriced, and now that it looks like they're losing BMW's support.. yeah.
I've read from more than one source that the build quality of the Dinan exhuast is of the 10-foot variety - looks great from ten feet away, but not from ten inches.
      04-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #13
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

it's probably just on back order. you can buy a new muffler for a 40 year old BMW, I'd be shocked if they discontinued one that only went out of production a few years ago.
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      04-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #14
Yngvejos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325i, E87 118d

Eisenmann sport is a good alternative. Good fitment and awesome sound when you accelerate, no drone when cruising.
      04-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

I'm torn... PE Exhaust which is full cat-back, or eisenmann muffler. I have found a PE exhaust(probably last one in US) but they are selling backup near retail. $1400 for PE, or $1000 for eisenmann? I'm on fence... really like idea of having all oem BMW performance parts on my Msport wagon.. just installed the euro intake and the DISA intake manifold. This was going to be the icing on the cake, along with F30 brake upgrade, but am struggling with this change in availability considering I wasn't going to take this plunge for another month. Was hoping to sell my 135 before I spent any more money....ugh
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #16
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I would think used PE's will pop up if you just give it some time. Depending on what mods you've done already, you could just continue on down the line and see how the PE market shakes out as we get into summer. Tunes and/or MILVs seem to be the best power makers (I have BPC tune, but no MILVs yet), so maybe look into those instead? I like my BPC tune and will do MILVs next, but I think that will be the last of power mods for me. I mostly just want to tighten up the driveline and shifting and enjoy the car after that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #17
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah... my plan was to do, intake, manifold conversion and exhaust then get a tune for all three and that be it for my performance mods. I'm envisioning ultimately building a sort of ZCP, Competition or 'IS' themed wagon using BMW parts bin. Ultimately have something that I could take out for autox on saturday, do a mountain drive on Sunday and back to work on Monday. But as we all know this stuff can be addicting... my 135 sport started out with similar plan and ended up with nearly every aftermarket part for an N54 up to new turbos....sigh...patience isn't my strong point.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #18
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
sigh...patience isn't my strong point.
I think most of us are exactly the same...oh, MILVs!...way.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #19
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Bought last PE in US

Well, I may end up regretting my decision if this shortage ends up being a shift in production facilities, or a change in vendor who makes the OEM Performance Exhaust.... but after calling half a dozen other dealers and vendors over last 24 hours and being told the same thing, I jumped.

At least four dealers told me that the last one in the whole country was the one at BMW of El Cajon so I made them an offer and while the countered, I got what appears to be, for the moment, the last PE in the U.S.... I received a shipping number a few hours ago and hope to have it next week. My pockets are a little lighter than I'd have hoped, but it was what I wanted.

I will be curious to know if production of this part does in fact start up again, or will those of us you installed them be that much more unique?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Well, I may end up regretting my decision if this shortage ends up being a shift in production facilities, or a change in vendor who makes the OEM Performance Exhaust.... but after calling half a dozen other dealers and vendors over last 24 hours and being told the same thing, I jumped.

At least four dealers told me that the last one in the whole country was the one at BMW of El Cajon so I made them an offer and while the countered, I got what appears to be, for the moment, the last PE in the U.S.... I received a shipping number a few hours ago and hope to have it next week. My pockets are a little lighter than I'd have hoped, but it was what I wanted.

I will be curious to know if production of this part does in fact start up again, or will those of us you installed them be that much more unique?
It sounds good, but no way would I pay 1500 for a muffler.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #21
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, included is a Y-Pipe, too - like most cat-back exhaust systems. But I agree, $1400+ isn't worth it, IMO. To each his own, though; I can certainly understand wanting all Genuine BMW parts for that OEM+ theme. I'd also have a hard time justifying $4000+ for an M3 Akrapovic system, regardless of it being made of titanium, but you see those everywhere. BMW parts... gotta pay to play. Or don't.. and just lop off the OE muffler like many here do lol.
Noir883.00
      04-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #22
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, included is a Y-Pipe, too - like most cat-back exhaust systems. But I agree, $1400+ isn't worth it, IMO. To each his own, though; I can certainly understand wanting all Genuine BMW parts for that OEM+ theme. I'd also have a hard time justifying $4000+ for an M3 Akrapovic system, regardless of it being made of titanium, but you see those everywhere. BMW parts... gotta pay to play. Or don't.. and just lop off the OE muffler like many here do lol.
So, did you pay $1400? What was the deal with ECS as they show stock coming in about a week for $959?

EDIT: Called ECS and they say they have 6 on order, and they seem to still be able to order them, so maybe this is just a change in manufacturing? After the run around with Bilstein B12 kits, I'm unsure what to believe, but anyone interested give Andy (ext. 481) a call at ECS.
Appreciate 0