E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Moving to Europe, Keep 335i or not

View Poll Results: Ship it or not?
Ship and refurb turbos 4 16.67%
Ship and new turbos 2 8.33%
Sell it 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

09-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
mogounus
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Moving to Europe, Keep 335i or not

I have a 2007 335i Sedan with 140K mi and am moving to Europe. The car runs great, I have done all the needed maintenance and have replaced HPFP, water pump and shocks and struts. I have had very few issues with it over the last several years except for the turbos pretty much being shot due to bad wastegates. Body and interior are in great condition (socal no snow and always garaged). I still love the car and would like to spruce it up and keep it for its life. I would like to hear what you guys think... is it worth shipping over?

1) Shipping to Europe is about $2000 (just the car), I'm getting a container for other stuff anyway so already have to deal with the logistics. The car is not very common over there, some 335i coupes running around but no sedans that I could see. Coups are selling for between 12K and 15K Euros. If I was to sell it here, with the bad turbos, I could get about $5000 most likely.

2) If I do keep it, should I just replace the turbos (as stated 140K miles) or should I just have the wastegates refurbed? I figure $100 for the kit and I could get the work done for about $500 (Eastern Europe labor is cheap). Or get new turbos about $2000 installed?

Opinions?

thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 04:46 AM   #2
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

Where in Europe will you be? I was in The Netherlands for 10 years. Indeed, 80% of the E90s I saw in Europe were 320i and 320d. My next door neighbor had a 335i touring.

Will you have military / diplomatic status?

If not, not sure you'll want a 335i in certain areas due to high cost of fuel ($10.00 per gallon), high co2-related taxes, and high labor costs.

If you do take car, get it fixed prior to shipping.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Parts, labour and taxes are cheaper in the US. Get it fixed here, ship it over there, sell it there as a rare model with all things working well and buy something nice to drive there that we cannot get here.
I would use that as an opportunity to try a car that you will not find here.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Your location in Europe and your legal status (military vs. diplomatic vs. regular expat.) would matter a lot whether it even remotely makes sense to ship and import your car. The miles will kill any real resale value and premium you might have due to the clean body of a California car. These e90 are nowhere rare or collectible enough at this point in time to warrant any special financial effort. Regulations regarding vehicle equipment for specific European countries can be a very costly switch. The speedometer needs to be in kilometers as the primary unit (not secondary as is in US cars), the colors of some lights need to be changed (which requires swapping out the whole light assembly), and the car needs to pass all emissions and regulatory requirements in force at the date of manufacture of the vehicle (which can be very extensive for a newer car like this). These rules apply to Germany and France for example. Also, certain features in US market cars will not work in Europe, such as satellite radio. I personally would sell the car in the US, add in the cost for shipping and legally mandated conversions and use that money towards buying a car in Europe that makes sense for your new location. You may want to consider the much higher fuel prices in Europe or local weather or road conditions to make a selection that is easier to live with.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Oh, and I forgot to mention that if you bring the car as part of your largely import tax exempt moving personal possessions and then turn around and sell it shortly afterward, you will be slapped with the full import tax.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

If you had some rare US market car then you could possibly justify bring it with you and selling it, but you're talking about a 3 series which is like a Corolla in Europe; they're everywhere (though not necessarily the 335). Fuel is relatively expensive, so if you keep it and drive it be prepared to spend a lot. If you later change your mind and decide to sell it there, it might be tough finding a buyer who wants a US-spec 335.

My recommendation would be to sell it here before you leave, then buy a European spec car for yourself.

Personally I'd get a 1-series (F20) hatchback with a diesel engine. I rented a 2018 118i this past spring for a vacation and it was an absolute blast to drive. I wanted a diesel for the fuel economy but it wasn't available so I ended up with the twin turbo 3 cylinder, which was surprisingly powerful and had no issues cruising long stretches at the speed limiter. Fuel economy wasn't as good as it would have been with a diesel, but it was still very reasonable. It felt very BMW-like, with none of the 'softness' that plagues the F30 3-series.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 11:55 PM   #7
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I vote to sell...turbos are going to be costly. Not sure where you are going but make a stop in germany and pick up an e90 Alpina B3 (in wagon form). Even over there Alpinas are rare, or even go for a 335i wagon...I'm living vicariously through you!

Bottom line is Europe is full of so many cool cars we never got. Take this time to get into something different. My two €s.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 12:41 AM   #8
mogounus
Rep

I'm moving to Slovakia, labor is pretty cheap there about 1/3 US rates so I'm figuring I could get a lot of work done on the car cheap and bring it up to a very decent spec. I know Europe has a lot of great cars but they are also very $$$. I'm not looking to spend much and I think this is really the best bang for my buck to get a very fun and still reasonably spacious ride. True, gas is more expensive, but if I spend an extra $1000/yr I think it's worth the fun
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #9
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogounus View Post
I'm moving to Slovakia, labor is pretty cheap there about 1/3 US rates so I'm figuring I could get a lot of work done on the car cheap and bring it up to a very decent spec. I know Europe has a lot of great cars but they are also very $$$. I'm not looking to spend much and I think this is really the best bang for my buck to get a very fun and still reasonably spacious ride. True, gas is more expensive, but if I spend an extra $1000/yr I think it's worth the fun
http://www.slovak-republic.org/car/import/

This website by the Slovak government on importing cars initially reads like it is pretty painless to bring a car into the country compared to other EU countries, until you get to the part where you realize that all these "easy" imports come from other EU countries. Towards the bottom it explicitly discourages import from the US for technical reasons (the darn lights!) and then lists some pretty hefty fees for technical inspections and notarized translations of relevant documents.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:56 AM   #10
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Why am I now looking at cars in Slovakia?!

https://www.aaaauto.sk/en/bmw-3/car....38;category=71

Just one website and there were over 100 BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #11
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogounus View Post
On point, it is cheap....just saying:
http://www.ooyyo.com/germany/c=CDA31...17743353.html/
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Sell it. Too much hassle for such a well used example of a common car. They’re all over Europe for cheaper than here.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #13
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post

Unfortunately, you picked the worst dealer in Slovakia for cars. Those guys sell many shady cars, so OP stay away if you're looking at a car there.

OP, importing a car into Slovakia properly to sell it later is not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #14
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Quote:

Unfortunately, you picked the worst dealer in Slovakia for cars. Those guys sell many shady cars, so OP stay away if you're looking at a car there.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the used car market in Slovakia. Just did a random online search. My point was to show the availability of BMWs not to endorse or promote a specific dealer. I just happened to like the color, specs and price of that specific car.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, I don't know anything about the used car market in Slovakia. Just did a random online search. My point was to show the availability of BMWs not to endorse or promote a specific dealer. I just happened to like the color, specs and price of that specific car.
Oh, I understand you just found them.
I just wanted to warn OP before he starts drooling over any "deals" with those guys.

And +1 on the suggestion above for a 1-series hatch with a nice drivetrain you can afford. Drive something you cannot get here.
Appreciate 1
Greyfox1207.50
      10-03-2018, 02:08 AM   #16
mogounus
Rep

Quote:

Not looking to sell it later but rather plan on keeping the car for many years to come. I just like the 335i sedan and don't really want an underpowered 318, 320 etc. I know this car and love the way it drives and getting something similar there doesn't seem cheap or give me much confidence that I wont get a lemon.
Appreciate 0