E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Flute playing gnome in engine bay, also, arson

05-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
inktomi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EBII M235i

Flute playing gnome in engine bay, also, arson

Hi -

While I'm very familiar with the workings of piston aircraft engines, I'm much less familiar with the workings of our fancy modern engines as found in my 2008 328i.

After my car threw several codes all at once (P1017, P0171, P0174, and B2AAA) I've been trying to figure out what is going on so that I can fix it. In doing so, I've came to the conclusion that the most obvious answer that explains everything my car is doing.. is that there's a gnome which lives in my engine bay, and the little guy LOVES to play the flute.

That said, he's not very good at it - he only knows one note - and furthermore he's afraid of the engine so when I accelerate he's quiet.

Lately, the gnome has also attempted arson on at least two occasions. He's also not very good at this, as all he can do is make the car smell like hot plastic - it doesn't even smoke.

While I've tried the various tricks you might think of to rid myself of gnomes - beer, sausages, etc - nothing has worked.

While I know that the codes are for the engine being too lean, and for the Eccentric Shaft Sensor, I'm not sure how those are related to the high pitched noise that happens when I idle the engine. I fear there may be multiple issues..

This weekend, I'm planning on pulling off the serpentine belt and checking the pulleys for free movement and quiet operation to be sure that's not the issue. The sound appears to be coming from underneath the car on the passengers side front - at least, that's where it's loudest.

Anything else come to mind to check? I'm still trying to track down exactly what's wrong so that I can fix it..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Sounds like multiple issues, but the flute and lean codes sure sound related to a vacuum leak somewhere. I suggest a smoke test to find the leak.

Maybe the eccentric shaft code is a sensor seal leak, or maybe the VANOS solenoids should be cleaned and swapped first.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
inktomi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did recently replace the valve cover gasket, but at the time didn't mess with the eccentric shaft sensor or check it out in any way since it wasn't complaining.

The weird thing about the flute tone is that it seems like all the air intake / vacuum stuff is on the drivers side in the front of the bay. The sound seems to be coming from the passengers side bottom.

Do you think it's not worth the time checking out all the serpentine belt pulleys if they otherwise look good?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
inktomi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

[u2b]http://youtu.be/iR38ETYGqPg[/u2b]

Here's a video which, while shot at night, does show the sound, and the location at which it's loudest - right behind the front passenger side tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The last time I took my car in for smog, the tester kept pointing at something in my engine bay and asking what I was, as part of the visual inspection. I just couldn't see what he was pointing at until he actually touched the bell.

Go to any Harley dealer and get one of the little bells to hang in the engine bay. Scares away gnomes, menhunies, and assorted other gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
qtvivi
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

I have a gnome also

OP, have you figured out the cause of the noise? My baby does this too, but I only notice it when the A/C is running, and when only the fan is running with the A/C off. Thanks. BTW, my indy shop said it was something about the A/C expansion value leaking? I don't understand this because it makes this sound with the A/C off.

Last edited by qtvivi; 06-04-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
inktomi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hi -

So, I ended up taking in the car after disassembling the entire intake and checking for cracks, etc. I found nothing that would give lean codes.

Turns out - the oil filler cap was loose. Ugh!! That's the lean codes.

I did find an idle pulley that was worn out, which might also be making the noise. I ordered a replacement - $50 - and once I get it in I'll update to make sure everyone's got the info on what happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
qtvivi
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

OP, did changing the idle pulley solve the problem? Thanks
Appreciate 0