E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Loud Noise When Removing Valvetronic Motor

03-19-2019, 02:12 AM   #1
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Loud Noise When Removing Valvetronic Motor

Hey guys,

I'm replacing my eccentric shaft sensor. As I'm getting ready to take the valve cover off I undid the 3 retaining bolts on the valvetronic motor expecting it to stay in there. I was following the Pelican guide and it said I could undo all of them, then use an allen key to unwind it and guide it out. Instead, it popped right out and the engine made a loud sound like gears crunching. Did I just ruin my engine?
      03-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

You're supposed to set the VVT motor in service position *before* you removed the bolts. Hopefully, you didn't break the shaft off the motor. It's too bad that guide gave you incorrect instructions.

I don't think you ruined your engine, at worst you'll need to replace the VVT motor if the shaft broke off.
Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00
      03-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
You're supposed to set the VVT motor in service position *before* you removed the bolts. Hopefully, you didn't break the shaft off the motor. It's too bad that guide gave you incorrect instructions.

I don't think you ruined your engine, at worst you'll need to replace the VVT motor if the shaft broke off.
Thank you for the reply!
Motor itself looks normal. Shaft still on there. Any chance I damaged some other part of the valvetronic system or is the motor itself the main thing at risk when removing it?
      03-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Here is the TIS procedure for removing & installing the VVT Servomotor:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ear/1VnXxK6FxK

Videos found online, and a number of the various Vendor "How-to-DIY" articles omit KEY information. It appears best to read & compare Bentley, TIS and perhaps a Vendor procedure such as Pelican to make sure you understand EACH step listed in EACH source BEFORE wrenching.

Hope you didn't damage the Eccentric/Intermediate shaft.

George
Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00
      03-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post

Pelican Parts definitely says to put in service position before removing mounting bolts.

Sounds like OP is still ok though.
Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00
      03-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Here is the TIS procedure for removing & installing the VVT Servomotor:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ear/1VnXxK6FxK

Videos found online, and a number of the various Vendor "How-to-DIY" articles omit KEY information. It appears best to read & compare Bentley, TIS and perhaps a Vendor procedure such as Pelican to make sure you understand EACH step listed in EACH source BEFORE wrenching.

Hope you didn't damage the Eccentric/Intermediate shaft.

George
Damn I'm an idiot. Is there a good way to test if I damaged the eccentric shaft? If its damaged will starting the car damage the motor further?
      03-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The eccentric shaft doesn't usually get damaged by this. It's the shaft of the motor itself that breaks off. If it's still in one piece, consider yourself lucky.
Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00