E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Car averages 19.1l 100km !

01-15-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
FlyertoTitan
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 323i

Car averages 19.1l 100km !

Hello everyone,
Im new to the forum, in reality just registered 1 hour or so ago after lurking for around 4 months or so which is around the length of time im a owner of a 2011 323i with 110k km.
Now im a person who knows very little about cars(hope to learn some basic oil changes/maintenance on the car but doubt will go beyond that) but i have some strange fuel consumption.
I have done 3k km or so and have reseted on the dashboard a couple of times and the readings are always 19.0 or 19.1l/100km in city driving(98% city downtown)

1) Is this abnormal(much higher than i expected)?
2) Car runs..starts well...although a bit more of white smoke than the average car on the road coming from exhaust pipes(1 quart of oil i had to put in 3000-3500km)

If 1) is indeed abnormal could it be related to number 2?

Any ideas/sugestions are apreciated as i will take car to mechanic if needed.

I hope to not be abusing of the hospitality here and thank you for any coments.

Last edited by FlyertoTitan; 01-15-2019 at 11:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

These car are thirsty in city driving. That's high but not unheard of depends on how heavy your foot is.

Nothing to do with 2. I wouldn't worry too much probably just cold weather vapor.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Welcome to the forum. You have to remember that a car needs to get up to temperature in order to perform well, short trips don't allow it to run efficiently. I believe these cars are rated at 19 City and 28 Highway so you're at the average mileage.

You will find as the weather warms that the mileage will improve slightly. Take it out on the highway and it will improve greatly. Another thing to watch for if you continue short trips is a substance called Mayo under the oil cap. This is the condensation build up from not getting up to temperature for an extended period of time. Taking your car out on a longer trip will get rid of it.

The white smoke may be from the cold weather, I'd keep an eye on it and see if it goes away as spring approaches. Did you have a mechanic look at the car before buying? Many people have a Pre Purchase Inspection done so they can avoid known issues with these cars.