E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding 'Backup' File Compare

01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
temelj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M '08

Garage List
2008 E92 335 M  [0.00]
Coding 'Backup' File Compare

First off, I would like to acknowledge the work from xxxjecxxx
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have considered placing this on his post, but believe it is a little more relevant in its own thread. More than happy for it to move there

UPDATED 13/02/13:
The process defined in post above explains how to create a 'backup' of your 'daten' files. I will refer to them as REFERENCE FILE.
As per thread, I've copied these to a safe location for later use.

I've coded the following options:
- Digital Speed Indicator in Dash
- CCC (Navigation) module disclaimer message disable

Once completed, I followed the above thread to re-create a 'backup'. I will refer to this as CURRENT FILE.

Using a Compare Tool (http://www.sourcegear.com/diffmerge/), I compared the CURRENT with REFERENCE file.
I have found more things/options changed rather than the expected changes as performed by the earlier coding exercise.

I was using NCSExpert.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this behavior. Please do try this out as I'm curious of any knock-on effects of 'incorrect' coding and the reversal procedure.

I would like this thread to contain the following information in detail.
- Verifying your own coding tasks.
- Reversing any changes.
- Fault finding & fixing.

One little theory for the observed behavior of the difference is that the car may set some values itself.
For example, changing options in the CCC unit, Car Computer and so on. But I doubt a vast difference between the REFERENCE and CURRENT should be experienced...

Feel free to discuss.

Last edited by temelj; 02-12-2013 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Horrible write up first time!
Appreciate 0