E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Expansion Tank Hose Fitment Issue

12-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #1
scbim
cap
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Expansion Tank Hose Fitment Issue

Wondering if anyone has run into fitment issues with the expansion tank hose and might be able to lend some advice on a perplexing issue.

I snapped the expansion tank hose and ordered a replacement from Rein but the connector refuses to fully seat onto the expansion tank port. The expansion tank was replaced by the previous owner so I'm not sure what brand it is.

The issue is that the male expansion tank port bottoms out in the fitting before the c-clip grooves line up. I attempted to bore out the fitting at the end of the bottom guide track with a Dremel to no avail.

Currently waiting on a new hose from a different brand, I suspect the issue is because the expansion tank is aftermarket -- if that one fails too though all I can think to do is replace the expansion tank. Hoping to avoid that outcome so if anybody has any ideas, please advise!

https://ibb.co/Ld4mYxn
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 12:12 AM   #2
scbim
cap
Rep

For image link above, couldn't figure out how to embed.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 06:23 AM   #3
TriumphTim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Yeah, that has happened to me where different brands of cooling parts didn't fit together.

They should install easily with a solid click.

Getting OE will prevent this usually, I found that even pretty good Rein stuff had issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #4
scbim
cap
Rep

Yikes, strange because the old hose was on there fine...certainly looked old enough to be OE. Well the new hose comes tomorrow, just a random brand from Amazon. Will update as to whether it fits the bill or not
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 04:10 PM   #5
scbim
cap
Rep

Sorry for not posting sooner. For anyone interested, the brand I found on Amazon (Jaronx) clicked right into place. FCP accepted my return on the Rein hose and provided free shipping.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Hey! I went through the exact same thing with my Rein hose on the stock expansion tank. I ended up up Frankensteining the stock rubber hose part into the rest of the new Rein as that was still good and I was preventively changing it mainly for the plastic part that cracks. Even tried to swap the internal O ring which I thought was the issue but no go, it's really the plastic fitting is to thick to go all the way to the end. FCP Euro also refunded me back at the time for that issue. May be a bad batch. And that was back in June.

No issues with my Rein top radiator hose though nor the mickey mouse flange.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 05:40 AM   #7
scbim
cap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey! I went through the exact same thing with my Rein hose on the stock expansion tank. I ended up up Frankensteining the stock rubber hose part into the rest of the new Rein as that was still good and I was preventively changing it mainly for the plastic part that cracks. Even tried to swap the internal O ring which I thought was the issue but no go, it's really the plastic fitting is to thick to go all the way to the end. FCP Euro also refunded me back at the time for that issue. May be a bad batch. And that was back in June.

No issues with my Rein top radiator hose though nor the mickey mouse flange.
Same, outlet flange was a non-issue. Must have been some kind of manufacturing defect with the expansion tank hoses. Glad you got yours all sorted out though
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #8
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I ordered the same hose from FCP Euro in June, it didn't fit the ET so I pulled the connector off the old hose. The leak was on the right side of the fan assembly and it's been fine since replacing it.