E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Opinion on engine flushes?

11-24-2020, 01:46 AM   #23
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
I remember when I worked at Autozone in highschool we had a guy come in complaining that his engine was making noise after someone sold him an oil "additive" in our store and well they had sold him engine flush and he had been driving the car around with it. No idea what was done about that lol but it sounded like it was ticking like mad. I don't think it's as big of a deal if you don't load the engine though. It was also a fiat a 500L
Those fiats (1.4 and 2.4) are really loud and clicky, since the intake valves are opened and closed hydraulically via solenoids. They're super sensitive to oil quality and viscosity as well (so much that it supposedly modifies the vvt algorithm based on calculated oil wear) , so I'm sure that had a lot to do with the aftermath. Couldn't imagine driving around with a flush in, damn- reading the instructions probably could have saved it.
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983940.50
      12-20-2023, 06:55 PM   #24
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Come looking for opinions on engine flush, but what I can say about ceratec is it does work.
Revs more freely and reduces engine noise slightly.

Ive used both Liqui Moly Ceratec (£20) and the less expensive Mannol Ceramo (£10).
Both fluids looks the same, advertise the same properties, and are sold in the same volume. Data sheet suggests they're exactly the same, and it seems like they both come out of the same German factory.

First time I added these products, I was sceptical and didnt think too much of it so I added it a week after an oil change to give myself a reference point. It takes about 100 miles before its noticeable.
I cant comment on whether it improves fuel economy or emission as my car is remapped.

STP also make a ceramic additive, buts its composition is definitely not like Mannol Ceramo or Ceratec. Ive also used this in the past and noticed a slight difference.

These products are NOT designed to be used with every oil change. Once every 15-20K miles.

Last edited by mittu; 12-20-2023 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0