E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Broken DISA valve?

01-23-2024, 10:39 AM   #1
CptSumTingWong
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Broken DISA valve?

When I turn the car to the "on" position, so engine off but full electronics i get a whirring sound, like a spinning electrical motor, coming from the intake manifold. Can't hear it with the engine on, but i suspect it's just being masked by all the other engine noises, because as soon as the engine turns off the whirring is still there until the key is removed from the ignition. I unplugged the wiring to the DISA valve and the whirring goes away. Car is not throwing any codes (until I disconnect the wiring).

I'm guessing that the disa valve motor has come somehow disconnected from the flap itself and on startup it is trying to do a self test but since there's no stop position that the motor just keeps spinning and i need to replace that disa valve?

disa valve is new put in less than 6 months ago...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:53 AM   #2
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

take it out to check it. a failed one can cause catastrophic engine failure
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 11:07 AM   #3
CptSumTingWong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams161 View Post
take it out to check it. a failed one can cause catastrophic engine failure
yeah...was trying to avoid removing the intake manifold again just to diagnose it...i guess that's what i need to do though...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 10:36 AM   #4
mct128i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i, 2019 X3, 2022 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSumTingWong View Post
yeah...was trying to avoid removing the intake manifold again just to diagnose it...i guess that's what i need to do though...
A decent scan tool will allow you to actuate the Disa valves with the engine not running - if I remember well it's possible to hear the valve actuate. You could compare what you hear from the inner and outer valves to maybe get an idea of whether one is behaving differently.

Just an idea as I know it's no fun pulling the intake manifold.

Which brand of Disa did you purchase when you replaced this? It's been reported on here that some are more reliable than others.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:08 PM   #5
CptSumTingWong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mct128i View Post
A decent scan tool will allow you to actuate the Disa valves with the engine not running - if I remember well it's possible to hear the valve actuate. You could compare what you hear from the inner and outer valves to maybe get an idea of whether one is behaving differently.

Just an idea as I know it's no fun pulling the intake manifold.

Which brand of Disa did you purchase when you replaced this? It's been reported on here that some are more reliable than others.
Replaced with Vaico, don't recommend, at least it was through FCP and i can warranty it out.

I pulled the outer valve since it's easy to get to and it's definitely broken, the bottom section wobbles around freely and the flap just flaps around. I checked the inner valve with INPA and a borescope, looks like that's working properly so at least i don't need to pull the entire manifold again.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 08:49 AM   #6
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Just fyi, you can remove the inner DISA without removing the intake manifold if you remove the alternator.

Also, I replaced a DISA with a vaico brand and it failed after a year and a half. Took it apart and the worm gear had a bad quality surface which had chewed up the spur gear. I posted pics here somewhere. Replaced with BMW brand the 2nd time.
Appreciate 0