E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > k+dcan coding cable not working on 09

12-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #45
fmonteiro444
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
I ordered the sainspeed we'll see....
The SainSpeed one works great for me. I took it apart, along with the ebay one I bought, and the SainSpeed is way better quality. Excellent soldering connections. The ebay one looked like a 3 year old did it.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #46
fmonteiro444
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_bmw View Post
This is the one I bought and it did not work.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #47
rote
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Heat effects

Hey guys, I just had an interesting experience that I've not seen documented anywhere, so thought I'd share as fyi.

I have the third version as described by nate5ks (post #17) but I'd describe my Pin 1 (ignition/sense?) wire as pretty thin. I bought my cheap cable on ebay. Anyhow, cable worked fine and had been coding using NCS Expert (fyi: as others have stated, not all INPA tests may work. For me, can't do Airbag, but Seat belt test works). My car is '08 328i.

I had planned to code something during my work lunch so took the cable with me and left it in the car. Ended up not having time. Came home ready to code. Car still warm/hot as was the K+DCAN cable - plugged into OBD port and the LED light did not light up. Thought it odd, but launched INPA and NCS - both failed to talk to car. Very disappointed, I opened up the cable. Although solder jobs could be better, I could not visually see any damage. Disappointed, was set to order another $13 cable.

I know that heat can affect wires by increasing resistance. Plus, since I figure my cheap cable didn't have the best components thought heat might've played a role with them too. Anyhoo, plugged it in this morning (ie, car cool, OBD port cool, cable cool) and bam! LED light was on. Encouraged, launched INPA and NCS to check. All is well again. So now I know, at least for my cable, I'll be doing it while the car and cable are not hot.
Appreciate 0