E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 6MT Clutch chatter?

04-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

6MT Clutch chatter?

Hey guys. I have a 2013 FBO 6MT 335i. Car has CDV delete. 54k miles. I'm the Second owner and bought it at 17k miles and have taken it from stock to FBO.

The car, when cold, doesn't have any clutch chatter.

After it gets warm or in traffic, the clutch chatters and whole car vibrates.

I don't think the clutch is slipping either?

What is the cause of this? Is this normal? Clutch feels crappy (very fluffy) when warmed up in addition to the chatter.
      04-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Bump
      04-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Original clutch and fw?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Original clutch and fw?
Yessir. I doubt they're going bad though. Only 53k miles on the car!
      04-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
maxihari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport 6spd

If this is only in 1st gear, from standing still, try giving it a bit more gas and keep at it through the engagement point.
This car seems to like it that way.
      04-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
hetzle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I had an OEM for 99k miles and never had any chatter. New clutch chatters a ton but it's a single mass so it's expected
2011 335i sedan 6MT, 515whp/530wtq. Pure Turbo Stage 2, Motiv SST TwinDisk Clutch/FW, Motiv Flash, AA 4" DP, ER FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, Quaife LSD, ST Coilovers, BMS Intake, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post
Hey guys. I have a 2013 FBO 6MT 335i. Car has CDV delete. 54k miles. I'm the Second owner and bought it at 17k miles and have taken it from stock to FBO.

The car, when cold, doesn't have any clutch chatter.

After it gets warm or in traffic, the clutch chatters and whole car vibrates.

I don't think the clutch is slipping either?

What is the cause of this? Is this normal? Clutch feels crappy (very fluffy) when warmed up in addition to the chatter.
DMFW is a very common failure. Same style DMFW is used on audi's and VW's they have tried a class action lawsuit over it. BMW owners just seem to ignore a failed DMFW lol. It's really not that big of a deal if you can live with a little extra clunk when engaging the clutch or a little bit of gear rattle at idle.

BMW was smart from the beginning and called DMFW noise "normal" and told owners to hold the clutch down when shutting off the car so they don't hear shit rattling around lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
DMFW is a very common failure. Same style DMFW is used on audi's and VW's they have tried a class action lawsuit over it. BMW owners just seem to ignore a failed DMFW lol. It's really not that big of a deal if you can live with a little extra clunk when engaging the clutch or a little bit of gear rattle at idle.

BMW was smart from the beginning and called DMFW noise "normal" and told owners to hold the clutch down when shutting off the car so they don't hear shit rattling around lol.
Omg that is what it is?? I always thought this loud clunky noise was normal when shutting my car off. I mean I'm sure it is but didn't thought it was MT.

Yesterday I "accidentally" kept my clutched pressed in while shutting of and was surprised the noise wasn't there!

On a sidenote I do have weird clutch pedal feeling. Seems like it's rusty or something, sometimes I get like a detent before hitting the clutch stop. Tried lubing the spring with grease but didn't seem to work. Dunno if it's related to internal transmission. I would suppose not since it's not cable driven and it is hydraulic right?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Omg that is what it is?? I always thought this loud clunky noise was normal when shutting my car off. I mean I'm sure it is but didn't thought it was MT.

Yesterday I "accidentally" kept my clutched pressed in while shutting of and was surprised the noise wasn't there!

On a sidenote I do have weird clutch pedal feeling. Seems like it's rusty or something, sometimes I get like a detent before hitting the clutch stop. Tried lubing the spring with grease but didn't seem to work. Dunno if it's related to internal transmission. I would suppose not since it's not cable driven and it is hydraulic right?
Clutch is hydraulic. The clutch fork is not hydraulic though. "rusty" feel of the clutch action could just be you feeling the tension of the pressure plate springs being compressed.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Clutch is hydraulic. The clutch fork is not hydraulic though. "rusty" feel of the clutch action could just be you feeling the tension of the pressure plate springs being compressed.
Sorry if I'm noob but I thought hydraulic clutch meant that hydraulic would move the clutch on or off. So like clutch fork would be driven by the hydraulic fluid?

Also another observation I tried, I removed my clutch stop and passing the clutch stop the feel from the clutch is so weird, feels like it's rusty all the way until it touches the firewall/carpet.

If I do it very slow you can feel so much rusty feel. If I press the clutch really quick it's kind of smoother.

Has really bothered me since when I got the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Sorry if I'm noob but I thought hydraulic clutch meant that hydraulic would move the clutch on or off. So like clutch fork would be driven by the hydraulic fluid?

Also another observation I tried, I removed my clutch stop and passing the clutch stop the feel from the clutch is so weird, feels like it's rusty all the way until it touches the firewall/carpet.

If I do it very slow you can feel so much rusty feel. If I press the clutch really quick it's kind of smoother.

Has really bothered me since when I got the car.
The clutch fork is a simple mechanical lever which is engaged by the hydraulic slave cylinder. Many European cars do have hydraulic clutch forks but not ours.

The pressure plate is still just a sprung disk which your'e compressing to release tension on the clutch and change gears. I would put the stock clutch stop back in. There is no need for removing it. In fact, most people use a taller one to take up some of the dead travel. If nothing is broken stop worrying lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The clutch fork is a simple mechanical lever which is engaged by the hydraulic slave cylinder. Many European cars do have hydraulic clutch forks but not ours.

The pressure plate is still just a sprung disk which your'e compressing to release tension on the clutch and change gears. I would put the stock clutch stop back in. There is no need for removing it. In fact, most people use a taller one to take up some of the dead travel. If nothing is broken stop worrying lol.
Oh ok gotcha, the way I thought you meant was from pedal to fork directly. But it seems to be the way I was thinking, hydraulics that then actuate the fork, which was my meaning as well by hydraulic.

As for the clutch stop, no no I just took it off to test. I am running BMS clutch stop on the medium washers.

I'm not worrying, it's just so annoying when the clutch pedal feels like that, I was more leaning on issue being the pedal assembly area than what you describe.
Appreciate 0