E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mapped today (Dervtech): e90 330D remap, EGR and DPF delete

04-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #45
Sukh Singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d

I was ment to multi quote to get opinions....which didn’t work lol

Was not specifically questioning your post!

Appreciate 1
      04-07-2019, 02:15 AM   #46
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

custo just means that they read all the live data that the car is producing on the dyno,,it is data logged,,then tweaked etc,,each car has differing performing turb's and other parts,,so every car id different...also all diagnostics are ran on the car,,you do not want a map going on if there is faults with the car
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 05:50 AM   #47
ozyboyross
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 330D SE with M sport kit

I went for a "safer" option as no one local to me seemed up to the job of mapping mine (Im in Norwich) So I installed a Superchips bluefin (which due to some ebay deals at the time was around £220 with a free K&N which I haven't fitted yet)

I can't really fault it but then on the other hand I've never felt like it increased the performance from standard by a huge amount, Superchips assure me that my original file was definitely a stock map but other than the traction control light being a bit more flashy I can't honestly say it feels much quicker. which suprised me as other cars I've had mapped felt so different to drive afterwards! and I was hoping that 60 odd hp and 100nm of torque would make a big difference but if it has I can't really tell lol, I do manage to keep up with some fairly quick cars so maybe it has worked....

Maybe a custom map would give me the difference from stock I was looking for and have felt in previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #48
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyboyross View Post
I went for a "safer" option as no one local to me seemed up to the job of mapping mine (Im in Norwich) So I installed a Superchips bluefin (which due to some ebay deals at the time was around £220 with a free K&N which I haven't fitted yet)

I can't really fault it but then on the other hand I've never felt like it increased the performance from standard by a huge amount, Superchips assure me that my original file was definitely a stock map but other than the traction control light being a bit more flashy I can't honestly say it feels much quicker. which suprised me as other cars I've had mapped felt so different to drive afterwards! and I was hoping that 60 odd hp and 100nm of torque would make a big difference but if it has I can't really tell lol, I do manage to keep up with some fairly quick cars so maybe it has worked....

Maybe a custom map would give me the difference from stock I was looking for and have felt in previous cars.
I had a Superchips Bluefin on my Mk2 Focus ST - absolutely bloody transformed it. When reverting back to stock, it just felt like the engine was being strangled. With the Bluefin on, the extra power and torque was absolutely astounding.
I could've gone down that route with my 330d as there are definitely advantages of having a Bluefin. The immobiliser function for one, the handset doubling as a fault code reader and the ease of which the map can be loaded and removed. However, as modern diesel engines are very complex with dpf's, egr's and all the electronics involved, I wanted a bespoke map that was absolutely tailored to my engine to make sure everything worked in perfect harmony to minimise the risk of things going wrong, plus to also get real before and after figures from the dyno. I'm sure theres plenty of you who will think I'm talking bollocks and that a Bluefin would be fine on a 330d, and you're probably right. I just got particularly anal about it when I got my BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:32 AM   #49
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyboyross View Post

sell the k and n,,pointless waste of money,,do more damage than good(fact)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:33 AM   #50
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
I had a Superchips Bluefin on my Mk2 Focus ST - absolutely bloody transformed it. When reverting back to stock, it just felt like the engine was being strangled. With the Bluefin on, the extra power and torque was absolutely astounding.
I could've gone down that route with my 330d as there are definitely advantages of having a Bluefin. The immobiliser function for one, the handset doubling as a fault code reader and the ease of which the map can be loaded and removed. However, as modern diesel engines are very complex with dpf's, egr's and all the electronics involved, I wanted a bespoke map that was absolutely tailored to my engine to make sure everything worked in perfect harmony to minimise the risk of things going wrong, plus to also get real before and after figures from the dyno. I'm sure theres plenty of you who will think I'm talking bollocks and that a Bluefin would be fine on a 330d, and you're probably right. I just got particularly anal about it when I got my BMW.
exactly,,mapping via data logging is a must,,and egr deletes are a minefield etc etc
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 01:29 AM   #51
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
sell the k and n,,pointless waste of money,,do more damage than good(fact)
I concur. I’ve used k&n on old carb cars loads of times but modern cars have such large efficient air filters there’s no point fitting performance filters anymore. The 330d filter is huge so it’s hard to see why the engine would need anymore air flow.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:49 AM   #52
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
I have a Superchips Bluefin on my 325d M57 and it really has made a big difference. I got it as I like the fact I can take map on and off whenever I want. They did an EGR delete too which has been working well for the 30k miles the map has been on the car. Superchips do provide pretty decent maps for cars, or course the files while well written wont be as good as a specifically tailored map done on a dyno. But to be fair they don't sell the maps as fully tailored to your specific car so you know what you are getting. They give you a good warranty too, and the customer support is very good.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #53
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Well I've had a K&N panel filter in my 35i for over 60k now with no issues.
I bought a paper filter last month and swapped the K&N out just to see if I could notice a difference, well I did & the K&N is back in the car freshly cleaned & oiled

But as others have said probably not worth putting one in an oil burner
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #54
Vilmantas
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 330d

Hello. I have bmw e92 330d 231 hp standard gearbox . Planing to do dpf delete with straight flow downpipe. After install i believe car will pop up some error codes, maybe possible limp mode? Question, after the install could i drive the car normal to the tuner, around 120 -180 miles, to get dpf programed out? Thank you for the answers.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #55
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilmantas View Post
Hello. I have bmw e92 330d 231 hp standard gearbox . Planing to do dpf delete with straight flow downpipe. After install i believe car will pop up some error codes, maybe possible limp mode? Question, after the install could i drive the car normal to the tuner, around 120 -180 miles, to get dpf programed out? Thank you for the answers.
Absolutely no need to remove the dpf. Any decent tuner will tell you this. Just get the egr programmed to stay shut when you get it mapped.
My 330d was mapped a few years ago with the dpf still in place and produces a reliable 317bhp and 673nm, and that was mapped for a 'all round' map instead of going for out and out power or economy.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:43 AM   #56
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

I second what Nick46 says, leave the DPF in place. If your tuner says you need to remove the DPF to gain power then you need to find a new tuner.

You'll have a much cleaner car with it place, and it won't stink everyone out.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #57
dave330
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D

agreed had mine mapped by jason from BW chiptune ,loads more power and torque and dpf still in place regens as normal ,the power he gets from them is just as good and any other tuner gets without removing the dpf so don't see why anyone would have it removed.
it's not cool or acceptable blowing black smoke everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #58
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
You'll have a much cleaner car with it place, and it won't stink everyone out.
I followed a pick up truck today that clearly had the dpf removed. The bloody thing smelt horrible!
Why do modern diesels with the dpf removed smell so much worse than older ones that didn't have one in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #59
ValSolo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 640d GC

You`re not used to it anymore, IMO that`s the reason.
Lived in the country with a lot less strict MOT and a lot of old cars on the road and didn`t notice the smell even from the cars without the cat. convertor. Here in the UK you immediately know that someone nearby is "smelly".
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 01:40 AM   #60
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSolo View Post
You`re not used to it anymore, IMO that`s the reason.
Lived in the country with a lot less strict MOT and a lot of old cars on the road and didn`t notice the smell even from the cars without the cat. convertor. Here in the UK you immediately know that someone nearby is "smelly".
There are still thousands of older cars on the road that never had dpf filters in the first place. We've got one ourselves and it does not smell anything like a more modern car that has had the dpf removed. When I followed that pick up yesterday it was actually making me feel sick. When I follow my wife's car I don't notice anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:01 AM   #61
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There are still thousands of older cars on the road that never had dpf filters in the first place. We've got one ourselves and it does not smell anything like a more modern car that has had the dpf removed. When I followed that pick up yesterday it was actually making me feel sick. When I follow my wife's car I don't notice anything.
That's because the older diesels without a DPF still have a catalytic converter, that's why they don't smell as bad as a more modern diesel that's had the DPF removed.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #62
dave330
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
That's because the older diesels without a DPF still have a catalytic converter, that's why they don't smell as bad as a more modern diesel that's had the DPF removed.
exactly that, i've heard of people who have had the dpf removed fitting a cat to keep the smell down.
all pointless if you ask me better left alone.
Appreciate 0