E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Coolant leak and overheating?

12-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Coolant leak and overheating?

Last night I was driving home from some errands and noticed my car wouldn't boost past 4lbs, soon after I get an engine overheating symbol. I pull over turn the car off, lift the hood, and notice coolant is all over the place and my cooling fan is on full blast. After the car cools down, i pop open the expansion tank and it's totally empty.. Mind you i filled this thing up a few and ago. I'm thinking failing water pump or hopefully crack in my expansion tank. Any ideas on what might be wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

You can clean it up, refill your tank and see if it is cracked. Odds are it's your water pump.
      12-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
You can clean it up, refill your tank and see if it is cracked. Odds are it's your water pump.
Thank you, I was thinking it's the pump as well. Don't think a cracked expansion tank would cause coolant to be all over that side of the engine bay!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
QuebecDIY
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 Coupe

I had one that was hard to find. When engine was cold, it was not leaking. When hot, it was leaking.

So I took the water pump out.
I put zip locs on holes with tie wrap
On one of the zip loc, I insert a compression air nozzle
Then spraying compressed air in it, I saw a very little crack on the plastic case close to the edges/rivets.

If you'd like to see an easier way to remove your water pump than removing steering and sway bar...

and if you need, thermostat...

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #5
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

Can you pull codes? Write down what it says. Then reset and fill up the reservoir and retest. Do you still see pump codes?

The coolant system runs under pressure, so you may find that it only starts leaking through a crack once it gets hot.
Appreciate 0