E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Reliability (rod bearing problems?)

05-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #221
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

FYI if you have a manual and the BMS oil catch can, it can make a sound similar to rod knock if you don't give the engine enough gas when starting off. Worry not, it's just the sound of the can vibrating against the expansion tank. The rough engine at those far-below-idle RPMs can be enough to do that.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #222
tomhank184@yahoo.com
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatonia View Post
110kms

Oil filter gasket
Belt, tensioner, pulleys
Charge pipe
Spark plugs twice
Coils

Ppk tuned until 100km, mhd stage 1 till now
What kind of pulleys do u use ?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #223
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhank184@yahoo.com View Post
What kind of pulleys do u use ?
Mine lasted til about 80k miles. Pulleys and tensioners are designed to last between 75-100k.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #224
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Mine lasted til about 80k miles. Pulleys and tensioners are designed to last between 75-100k.
Is this a fact ? Is this only for BMW ?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #225
xxMike61
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

So everything came back clean. Maybe I am just crazy after all lol
http://prntscr.com/joaa62
      05-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #226
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Great news Mike. Let's determine what you were hearing that understandably freaked you out.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #227
xxMike61
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Maybe I was just used to having a dp on and after putting the cat on again I was able to hear the engine more and it freaked me out? I hear the noise more as the rpms go up. I've noticed that one of my pulleys has a little bit of wobble when the engine is running. Idk I will check it out
      06-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #228
Carcurt e92
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 10/10 pro date

Rod Bearing Twice

First a little about me. I have been working on BMW's since 1980, the first 11 years at a dealer. I have owned an indie shop since 2000.

I have seen many N54s and N55s with spun rod bearings. All the N54s were from the belt coming off. The N55s seem to be unprovoked. The first was an X5 that an older customer drove and always had the oil changed at the dealer. It had no mods, no towing and probably long oil change intervals.

About a year ago I found a project car on CL for the right price. It is a 2011 E92 XDrive. I took it apart and found number 3 rod bearing spun. (IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN NUMBER 3 ON THE N54 OR N55). I don't have any history on the car from the previous owner. I can say that there wasn't any belt debris in the oil pan. I had the crankshaft repaired, replaced the connecting rods and bearings and of course the main bearings. I also replaced the timing chain, starter and installed a new turbo as preventative measures. I drove it last summer without incident.

I decided to take it to the next level.
H R springs
Koni yellows
Cobb Access port
Toyo R888 track tires

Then off to the HPDE. The first session went fine. The next did not. Spun number 3 rod bearing again. Some people say the oil pump sucked air from the lack of oil baffle in the oil pan. I wish I was logging the oil pressure.
I think it was because of the reground crank or a problem with oil circuit in the engine. So I ordered a new crankshaft from BMW. The first one was .004 thousands out of round and the second one was .003 thousands out. Both too much. The machine shop said it was because the way they store them. Crankshafts are not to be stored laying down - stand on end or preferably hang vertical. I was going to give up on it and get a used engine but the ones I have found have been no good or questionable.

Questions:
Most of the N55 failures I have seen have been built before 11/10. Mine was built 10/10. Something changed as of 12/11. The only part number that has changed is the head. Does anyone know what is different?

Does anyone have an oil pressure gauge installed and what should it be? My Cobb says it is over 100psi when cold. Seems a bit high to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #229
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcurt e92 View Post
First a little about me. I have been working on BMW's since 1980, the first 11 years at a dealer. I have owned an indie shop since 2000.

I have seen many N54s and N55s with spun rod bearings. All the N54s were from the belt coming off. The N55s seem to be unprovoked. The first was an X5 that an older customer drove and always had the oil changed at the dealer. It had no mods, no towing and probably long oil change intervals.

About a year ago I found a project car on CL for the right price. It is a 2011 E92 XDrive. I took it apart and found number 3 rod bearing spun. (IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN NUMBER 3 ON THE N54 OR N55). I don't have any history on the car from the previous owner. I can say that there wasn't any belt debris in the oil pan. I had the crankshaft repaired, replaced the connecting rods and bearings and of course the main bearings. I also replaced the timing chain, starter and installed a new turbo as preventative measures. I drove it last summer without incident.

I decided to take it to the next level.
H R springs
Koni yellows
Cobb Access port
Toyo R888 track tires

Then off to the HPDE. The first session went fine. The next did not. Spun number 3 rod bearing again. Some people say the oil pump sucked air from the lack of oil baffle in the oil pan. I wish I was logging the oil pressure.
I think it was because of the reground crank or a problem with oil circuit in the engine. So I ordered a new crankshaft from BMW. The first one was .004 thousands out of round and the second one was .003 thousands out. Both too much. The machine shop said it was because the way they store them. Crankshafts are not to be stored laying down - stand on end or preferably hang vertical. I was going to give up on it and get a used engine but the ones I have found have been no good or questionable.

Questions:
Most of the N55 failures I have seen have been built before 11/10. Mine was built 10/10. Something changed as of 12/11. The only part number that has changed is the head. Does anyone know what is different?

Does anyone have an oil pressure gauge installed and what should it be? My Cobb says it is over 100psi when cold. Seems a bit high to me.
This is very interesting to hear, thanks for the insight. From my experience, all N55 rod bearing cases I have heard of or seen at my dealer have all been earlier production date cars and there has been zero correlation between failures.

Also after reading this, I am glad I didn't try to rebuild my motor. It sounds like once a bearing is spun, there is not much you can do to save whats left besides a full rebuild.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #230
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcurt e92 View Post
Did you mean something changed as of 12/10? That would be a reassurance to me given my build date (02/11).
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #231
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

someone needs to close this thread..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #232
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
But..... but.... people thrive off of speculation!

In all seriousness this thread is pretty much useless without people knowing/reporting the causation of the bearing failure. Though, as I said before, its understandable considering all the extra labor involved in the tear down of a blown motor.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #233
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
But..... but.... people thrive off of speculation!

In all seriousness this thread is pretty much useless without people knowing/reporting the causation of the bearing failure. Though, as I said before, its understandable considering all the extra labor involved in the tear down of a blown motor.
My biggest concern has been that the thread makes it sound like there is a HUGE issues with this motor and rod bearing failures. Which ofcourse we cannot confirm. Because no one can prove that these motors have not been neglected, abused, moded improperly, "good maintenance" etc. The other thing is we dont have actual numbers. I mean not even a close approximate based on volume by anyone...

Something like this : our dealerships has 32,400 N55 vehicles registered and repaired yearly. Out of these 325 of them were checked in for engine knock. (which is still 0.01 percent chance). We cant even come up with a list of 30 people..

That gives us a pretty good idea of the extent of the issues.

But i understand that such numbers are almost impossible to dig up for simple workers. Higher BMW employees would never make that public.

But thats what i need for my self to say not worth owning my car due to the risk factor of a catastrophic engine failure..

otherwise all these are anecdotes and personal opinions. So i will eat my popcorn while reading this thread and continue to do so
Appreciate 1
lwgrenier117.00
      06-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #234
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

So the other day I heard this noise...

Please pass the salt.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #235
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My biggest concern has been that the thread makes it sound like there is a HUGE issues with this motor and rod bearing failures. Which ofcourse we cannot confirm. Because no one can prove that these motors have not been neglected, abused, moded improperly, "good maintenance" etc. The other thing is we dont have actual numbers. I mean not even a close approximate based on volume by anyone...

Something like this : our dealerships has 32,400 N55 vehicles registered and repaired yearly. Out of these 325 of them were checked in for engine knock. (which is still 0.01 percent chance). We cant even come up with a list of 30 people..

But i understand that such numbers are almost impossible to dig up for simple workers. Higher BMW employees would never make that public.

But thats what i need for my self to say not worth owning my car due to the risk factor of a catastrophic engine failure..

otherwise all these are anecdotes and personal opinions. So i will eat my popcorn while reading this thread and continue to do so
As these cars are getting up in age/miles, I think this thread is good to have to log any new instances. Of course this doesn't give us the "whole picture" but its a step in the right direction to maybe find some sort of pattern of causation.

From a BMW dealership point of view, we have no access to information regarding what BMW digs up from the core motors we ship back to them. Also, even if one was to look up repair orders, many would be pretty vague such as "catastrophic engine failure" or "rod knock" and the car could have been water logged or taken out by some other outside source.

At the end of the day, it's a risk just like literally any other used car. To the few unfortunate enough to have an engine go such as myself, it sucks, but life goes on.
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #236
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:

This guy. I like this guy.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #237
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
This guy. I like this guy.
I like you too buddy

lol
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #238
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
A new thread was started instead. Figured I would bring this one back up so the two threads can hang out together at least. Maybe we should start another thread about it?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 12:35 AM   #239
Dsinewave
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Can I add my experience to this discussion?

I have a perfectly maintained 2011 N55, which recently suffered a catastrophic failure without any warning whatsoever. My oil changes were at 5,000Km intervals, my dealership is on my way to work so I drop it off every few months.

I have the following:
BMW MPPK tune
Mishimoto catch can
Wagner EVO2 intercooler
ER charge pipe
CSF radiator
Wagner catted downpipe

I religiously warm up the car every single time, it has never been tracked and yet at 60,000 Ks (40,000 miles!) my big end bearings siezed while driving on my favourite country roads.

I have the detailed diagnosis from BMW if anyone would like to see it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #240
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsinewave View Post

I have a perfectly maintained 2011 N55, which recently suffered a catastrophic failure without any warning whatsoever. My oil changes were at 5,000Km intervals, my dealership is on my way to work so I drop it off every few months.

I have the following:
BMW MPPK tune
Mishimoto catch can
Wagner EVO2 intercooler
ER charge pipe
CSF radiator
Wagner catted downpipe

I religiously warm up the car every single time, it has never been tracked and yet at 60,000 Ks (40,000 miles!) my big end bearings siezed while driving on my favourite country roads.

Yes, definitely. Please post it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #241
fatty335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsinewave View Post

I have the following:
BMW MPPK tune
Mishimoto catch can
Wagner EVO2 intercooler
ER charge pipe
CSF radiator
Wagner catted downpipe

Yes Please!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #242
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

yes please post more information
Appreciate 0