E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > N57 E90 330D LCI - 500Hp+ with M50D Injectors/HPFP etc



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #1
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
N57 E90 330D LCI - 500Hp+ with M50D Injectors/HPFP etc

Hi all,

So a bit of background on my vehicle and what I am trying to achieve.

Car is a 2009 BMW E90 330D LCI M-Sport 6/MT with a N57
When I bought the car back in 2013, it already had the DPF hollowed out {unsure if CAT is intact} & EGR bypassed.
Have not validated either.

Supporting mods/upgrades recently fitted:
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - non-runflat all round (225/255 18")
  • Birds BMW - B-Series Sport Suspension (Bilstein dampers and Eibach lowering springs)
  • F30 M-Sport Brembo 4 & 2 pot Calipers
  • Brembo 340mm disc & Mtec 345mm disc
  • Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
  • E92 M3 Master Brake Cylinder
  • EBC Red Stuff pad (terrible! changing them to possibly Ferodo DS2500)
  • Castrol React Performance Dot 4 Racing Brake Fluid
  • Clutch delay valve delete
  • Engine carbon clean
  • Serviced regularly (only do 6 miles a week...I know, what a waste)
Stock - 242Hp & 540Nm
Stage 1 Remap - 315Hp & 813Nm

After a while I decided I needed more power and then installed the following:
  • Hybrid Turbo
  • Wagner Intercooler
  • 50/50 Water/Methanol injection kit (progressive 100PSI - 940cc injector)
  • Custom 3" Straight Pipe from DPF (twin exit)
This got me to my current:
387Hp & 754Nm without Meth
407Hp & 793Nm with Meth (not meth dependant)

Since then I have purchased the following:
  • M50D Injectors - Used but got them ultra sonic cleaned
  • M50D High Pressure Fuel Pump - New
  • M50D Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (with rail) - Used
Hoping these would get the car to 500Hp+ & 1,000Nm+ based on the following with similar mods (minus meth) using the exact same turbo here & here
Obviously will need to look in to my clutch/flywheel and LSD situation after this given all that have gone down this route (that I can find) are running auto boxes.

Question - I know the injectors need to be "registered" to the car, but does anything need to be done for the fuel pump or rail sensor?
SV77A UP-RATED FUEL - maybe?

Last edited by Deeps1987; 07-16-2020 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
e90Noobie
Private
2
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2011 Black 335d
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ventura

iTrader: (0)

Dang, lots of money and work put into this car. Could you give more details about the water/meth injection kit you used? Which brand, plug & play or had to modify it to work etc....

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Noobie View Post
Dang, lots of money and work put into this car. Could you give more details about the water/meth injection kit you used? Which brand, plug & play or had to modify it to work etc....

Thanks
Firstly, congrats on this being post #69 for you

Yup, defo spent a fair bit on this but learned alot too even if I only drive 6 miles a week (less than that during lock down).

Meth kit is a Devilsown DVC-100 Progressive kit (Universal 100psi boost kit) with a solenoid upgrade instead of a check valve and full stainless lines from the tanks (2 x 3 Quarts) which are stealthily hidden under the boot.

Some pics can be found here
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 04:58 AM   #4
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Anyone got any ideas on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Bump...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
RL18
Captain
United_States
135
Rep
661
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Maine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps1987 View Post
Bump...
I feel like your kind of going down the wrong path for more power. I don't believe that injectors are the bottle neck of the m57s, its more a air flow issue.

Being you have a 330d does that mean you have the single twin scroll turbo? Or the twin turbo? I would upgrade turbo too since more fuel isn't going to help that but blow more smoke.

Over here our m57s injectors flow a lot for stock and you likely wouldn't need any mods unless above 700hp. The pumps do seem to have a hard time keeping up down low though. We have kits here that just became available that lets us add another hpfp so we can do dual r90 pumps which seem to be able to get our m57s close to 450hp with stock engine, add a hybrid turbo into the mix and you should be pretty close to 500whp. With meth it'll be higher too
__________________
2011 335d deleted and tuned by B.R.R.
2011 X5 35d stock for now...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
I feel like your kind of going down the wrong path for more power. I don't believe that injectors are the bottle neck of the m57s, its more a air flow issue.

Being you have a 330d does that mean you have the single twin scroll turbo? Or the twin turbo? I would upgrade turbo too since more fuel isn't going to help that but blow more smoke.

Over here our m57s injectors flow a lot for stock and you likely wouldn't need any mods unless above 700hp. The pumps do seem to have a hard time keeping up down low though. We have kits here that just became available that lets us add another hpfp so we can do dual r90 pumps which seem to be able to get our m57s close to 450hp with stock engine, add a hybrid turbo into the mix and you should be pretty close to 500whp. With meth it'll be higher too
Thanks RL18, but a few things to note:
  • I have an N57 (single turbo), not M57
  • Already installed Hybrid Turbo (mentioned)
  • The R90 pump isn't compatible with mine, hence going down getting the pump from an M50D
  • Same with the M50D injectors
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
RL18
Captain
United_States
135
Rep
661
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Maine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps1987 View Post

Thanks RL18, but a few things to note:
  • I have an N57 (single turbo), not M57
  • Already installed Hybrid Turbo (mentioned)
  • The R90 pump isn't compatible with mine, hence going down getting the pump from an M50D
  • Same with the M50D injectors
Got it. I thought since it was a 2009 it was an m57 since that was the model year m57s were used. You might have better luck on the n57 forums. I remember seeing a 535d making around 500whp on the forums. Maybe you can gain some more knowledge from that build.
__________________
2011 335d deleted and tuned by B.R.R.
2011 X5 35d stock for now...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:59 AM   #9
Andy198712
Captain
106
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Nice! can i ask how much the turbo cost? not many available for our N57 single turbo cars! where did you put the meth nozzle?

mines just got a remap and at 290bhp and 577nm but would like more in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #10
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Nice! can i ask how much the turbo cost? not many available for our N57 single turbo cars! where did you put the meth nozzle?

mines just got a remap and at 290bhp and 577nm but would like more in the future.
Turbo was £1,337.62 delivered (Euro conversion) and deof recommended, great turbo!
Meth nozzle is where the EGR valve is (EGR disabled in software anyway).

Still waiting for my Indy to get the special tool to change the HPFP as it needs to hold the timing chain in place, once he gets it i'm getting it don as I have gotten used to the 406Hp now especially with the Birds suspension as I can actually put the power down now and not slide/spin up! it made that much of a difference and the ride is so much nicer!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:40 AM   #11
Andy198712
Captain
106
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps1987 View Post
Turbo was £1,337.62 delivered (Euro conversion) and deof recommended, great turbo!
Meth nozzle is where the EGR valve is (EGR disabled in software anyway).

Still waiting for my Indy to get the special tool to change the HPFP as it needs to hold the timing chain in place, once he gets it i'm getting it don as I have gotten used to the 406Hp now especially with the Birds suspension as I can actually put the power down now and not slide/spin up! it made that much of a difference and the ride is so much nicer!
Cheers thatís all really helpful!
Iíve looked over the birds kit for quite a while and it sounds great!
When you get chance can you snap a pic of the meth nozzle. I was thinking of more towards the front of the car in that black plastic tube that flattens out... but your place might be better!

Was the turbo a direct fit?

Cheers
Andy
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #12
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Cheers thatís all really helpful!
Iíve looked over the birds kit for quite a while and it sounds great!
When you get chance can you snap a pic of the meth nozzle. I was thinking of more towards the front of the car in that black plastic tube that flattens out... but your place might be better!

Was the turbo a direct fit?

Cheers
Andy
I can fully recommend the Birds kit, I was also debating getting full coilovers but realised I would have no idea how I would want my damping set so went with the Birds kit after reading all the magazine reviews.
It consists of custom tuned Bilstein dampers and Eibach lowering springs and has made the ride so much better suited for UK (London) roads.

Sure, will try and get a pic of the meth nozzle but it was fitted by Road Rage Performance down in Sevenoaks.
I think fitting it in metal was better than in the plastic purely for ease of mind as it'll be a better fit and less likely to become a boost leak.

Turbo is a direct fit, it's a hybrid so its the same OEM turbo but modified with bigger inlet/outlets and impeller wheels.
Turbosystems cater for drift/drag cars so know what they are doing (well I think so).

Another point to mention is the gearbox, the 6 speed manual in the car is a GS6-53DZ which is apparently used by drifters as it can handle 1,400Nm of torque which bodes well for the modifications I have made as this was likely to be the weak spot, instead it is the clutch which surprisingly does not slip with 407Hp and 793Nm
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #13
Andy198712
Captain
106
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: 2010 E91 325d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Thanks buddy! i'm so tempted by that turbo! still got my DPF but wondering if i could keep it and add meth and see if it gets me up to 400....
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #14
Tambohamilton
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
657
Rep
1,827
Posts

Drives: E91 330d
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps1987 View Post
Question - I know the injectors need to be "registered" to the car, but does anything need to be done for the fuel pump or rail sensor?
SV77A UP-RATED FUEL - maybe?
As far as I know, the fuel pump is just a dumb unit - it just shoves diesel in a hole. Nothing to register/code there.

I've never heard of anyone needing to code a new rail sensor - so far as I know their calibration is the same, but they can just operate to a higher pressure. Same story for the regulator.

So no; no coding necessary there. You'll just need the relevant map to take advantage of the higher flow and pressures that are possible.

Of course, I could be wrong...
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #15
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Cheers thatís all really helpful!
Iíve looked over the birds kit for quite a while and it sounds great!
When you get chance can you snap a pic of the meth nozzle. I was thinking of more towards the front of the car in that black plastic tube that flattens out... but your place might be better!

Was the turbo a direct fit?

Cheers
Andy
Sorry for the late pic, finally got around to taking it today

Pic
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thread revival, so car is at the mechanic and undergoing the upgrades however I have been told that the new M50D HPFP has different inlet/outlet pipe orientation and its not a straight swap.
Any ideas on this and if the inlet/outlet on the HPFP can simply be rotated?

Any input welcome as the car is at the garage!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #17
RL18
Captain
United_States
135
Rep
661
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Maine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps1987 View Post
Thread revival, so car is at the mechanic and undergoing the upgrades however I have been told that the new M50D HPFP has different inlet/outlet pipe orientation and its not a straight swap.
Any ideas on this and if the inlet/outlet on the HPFP can simply be rotated?

Any input welcome as the car is at the garage!
Well I don't see why it can't be modified to pipe up to the m50d pump. What does the pumps connections look like?
__________________
2011 335d deleted and tuned by B.R.R.
2011 X5 35d stock for now...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #18
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
3
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Well I don't see why it can't be modified to pipe up to the m50d pump. What does the pumps connections look like?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12P2...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19oB...ew?usp=sharing

According to a response I received on a Facebook group that connector can simply be rotated by undoing 4 torx screws, so advised the mechanic to try that.

Last edited by Deeps1987; 09-24-2020 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #19
Punisherrr
New Member
5
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Hi
I know itís been a while but did you manage to fit and plug m50d pump?
What will be needed to do this? Plug is p&p, pump arm/ bracket? Needs coding or not?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
330d, hpfp, hybrid turbo, lci, m50d, manual, n57, remap, tune, tuning

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST