E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is this common for downpipe installs?

09-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
pb4ugo2bed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Is this common for downpipe installs?

Hi all, I was just out in the garage trying to finish up my VRSF downpipe install, but one of the pipes seems to be about a half inch too short to mate up with my midpipes (see image below). Is this a common occurrence? Is it possible to loosen up the exhaust system to allow it to slide forward a half inch and take up the slack? Just wondering how you all have handled this issue historically, if at all. Any assistance you could provide would be welcomed.

09-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

there's enough play in the exhaust that you should be able to just crank it down and it will pull together
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

This is very common and is my least favorite part about swapping out the downpipes. Aftermarket downpipes are no problem cause the bolts are long enough and they just slide right in, then you can tighten them up and everything will be nice and flush. When putting the stock downpipes back on the bolts/studs are built into the downpipe and they are almost too short to get a nut to thread on. I had to use my jack to push the exhaust up which gave me just enough room to connect the midpipes to the downpipes.

Torque it down and you're good to go.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
pb4ugo2bed
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Really? I was concerned that it would put the exhaust under constant tension, but if that's not an issue then at least I can get the job done tomorrow. I'd feel more comfortable if a few others weighed in with their experience as well, but I'm very glad you replied, thanks!
      09-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Are you sure those are VRSF downpipes? We don’t offer them in polished finish, only brushed.

In either case you can loosen the vband and rotate the downpipe. There is some play which will allows the downpipes to change lengths.

Also keep in mind the midpipes move independently.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Don't worry about constant tension on the exhaust. Worry about the turbo housing. Rotation won't help. It won't gain lenght. Besides the bolts line up already. Is possible that you have defective product. No brand is immune to that.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Don't worry about constant tension on the exhaust. Worry about the turbo housing. Rotation won't help. It won't gain lenght. Besides the bolts line up already. Is possible that you have defective product. No brand is immune to that.
Believe it or not rotating the downpipes do extend & shorten the length of the downpipe due to the angle change. Also please keep in mind the bolt holes are larger than the bolts which allows for additional play and rotation when installing.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 05:23 AM   #8
pb4ugo2bed
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Are you sure those are VRSF downpipes? We don’t offer them in polished finish, only brushed.

In either case you can loosen the vband and rotate the downpipe. There is some play which will allows the downpipes to change lengths.

Also keep in mind the midpipes move independently.
They are most definitely VRSF downpipes, I ordered them directly from VRSF. You can't really tell that the pipes are brushed from the photo, but they are.
In any case, i'll try to rotate the pipe to close the gap, but if it doesn't close from that adjustment is there any other adjustment I can make from the midpipe side to help bring them together?
      09-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #9
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Tiago is right - rotation does change the effective length. I experienced this problem with both VRSF down pipes and AR design pipes that I got to replace the VRSF when I was "sure" there was a problem with them.

Loosen up your V-bands and the clamp that holds the midpipes and play around with the positions of both downpipes. In the end I never got the alignment perfect but I got it close enough. No problems with leaking or other issues for 30K miles

BTW, I used Felpro 9547 ($1.99 at Autozone) exhaust gaskets instead of the absurdly overpriced BMW ones ($14@ for Reinz OE at FCPEuro or $23 for the BM OEM 18307553603). The Felpro are very close to the proper dimensions, not perfect but very very close. No problems with leaks.

Last edited by dpaul; 09-23-2018 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
pb4ugo2bed
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Tiago is right - rotation does change the effective length. I experienced this problem with both VRSF down pipes and AR design pipes that I got to replace the VRSF when I was "sure" there was a problem with them.

Loosen up your V-bands and the clamp that holds the midpipes and play around with the positions of both downpipes. In the end I never got the alignment perfect but I got it close enough. No problems with leaking or other issues for 30K miles

BTW, I used Felpro 9547 ($1.99 at Autozone) exhaust gaskets instead of the absurdly overpriced BMW ones ($14@ for Reinz OE at FCPEuro or $23 for the BM OEM 18307553603). The Felpro are very close to the proper dimensions, not perfect but very very close. No problems with leaks.
I'll be trying the rotation technique when I get home from work later on, but since the bolt holes are lined up already I'm concerned I'm not going to gain very much from the process. I'm going to try to keep an open mind and my fingers crossed though! The VRSF pipes came with gaskets so I think I'm ok for those, but I appreciate the tip nonetheless!
      09-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

I just installed my dp a coupla days ago ...not vrsf ones but MTC Motorsport ones from the UK, and they were exactly the same as urs look., about 10-12mm gap, I wasn't concerned and just tightened it up without any trouble, as someone mentioned the 2 mid sections are separate for quite a bit further back so there is plenty play and flex to be had without putting much stress on anything.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #12
malgyver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

I had the same problem with my VRSF downpipes. I did try to rotate the downpipes, and the closest I got was 1/4" for one pipe, and about 3/8" for the other. The 1/4" closed up easily. The 3/8" I actually added a couple extra gaskets (metal core gaskets), and I've had them on and off a couple times, and for a total of 70K or so, without any adverse problems.
      09-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #13
Daniel08E93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
I literally just finished my install a couple hours ago and it was a PITA those damn V clamps are the death of me...... anyways that looks like how mine looked too all I did was grab some pliers and squished them together and tightened the bolts and so far everything is good no exhaust leaks or anything, at this point only time will tell
Appreciate 0