E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How Much Life Left in Brake Pads?

02-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
CanadianBMW
Rep
Drives: Potentially E90 335i

How Much Life Left in Brake Pads?

I recently purchased a 2006 323i and the previous owner told me that she replaced the brakes. However, with no receipt to prove it and only 1400km left (according to CBS) on the rears, I'm skeptical whether they were actually done. It's possible that the brakes were replaced at an independent shop and the service light didn't get reset.

Anyway, based on the pictures, how much life is left in the brake pads?
(millimeters, miles, %)

First picture is front and second picture is rear.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Those look brand new to me.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Those look brand new to me.
QFT. As long as your pad sensors aren't faulty, you should be good to reset the interval.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
CanadianBMW
Rep

Thanks for the quick feedback. The countdown for the front is still in orange, but the countdown for the rear is now in yellow. If I reset the interval through the dash will it give me the --------- (instead of CBS remaining mileage) once I do it?

Apparently the first stage of the sensor gets triggered at 50% of brake pad life, so resetting now with the old sensor might give me that "error". Any first hand experience with resetting an old brake sensor?

Last edited by CanadianBMW; 02-07-2012 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Navacellus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91; 1999 E36/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBMW View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback. The countdown for the front is still in orange, but the countdown for the rear is now in yellow. If I reset the interval through the dash will it give me the --------- (instead of CBS remaining mileage) once I do it?

Apparently the first stage of the sensor gets triggered at 50% of brake pad life, so resetting now with the old sensor might give me that "error". Any first hand experience with resetting an old brake sensor?
To my knowledge the physical sensor has no "stages". It is either a make or break wire type of system; on or off. Once the plastic encasement has been worn down and internal metal components of the sensor touch the rotor the sensor is trips. I would say you reset the service lights and call it done. Remember the mileage (or kilometers) remaining is purely an estimate of pad life as the car cannot predict your driving style.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
CanadianBMW
Rep

I reset the light and now the remaining mileage reads --------. Also, I have the car lift inspection lit up in red (only when I start the car, not when I scroll through service info) and the emergency brake light stays on. From what I've read this just means that the sensors weren't replaced when the brakes were done. An old sensor can't be reset so I'll have to order new ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
ntasia2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

its seems as a new pad....hahhaa
Appreciate 0