E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Addendum: Oil Filter Housing Gasket with OEM Oil Cooler

09-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #45
josh-W
Rep
Drives: 335i

Replace the Water Hose Fitting too

Great DIY. Thank You. I finished this on my 2008 335i yesterday.

If you are removing the coolant hose, there is a chance of broken connector for the coolant hose. It's also a preventive maintenance to replace the connector. The coolant hose to the cylinder head connector can crack over time. It's come with clamp and O ring.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-335i-11...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by josh-W; 09-05-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #46
mtm235
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Can anyone comment on the fit of the oil cooler lines to the OFCH?

I would have expected the gaskets to seat into the OFCH and the rib on the lines to be flush with the housing. But after pulling/pushing into the housing with a good bit of force, they wouldn't go further than the picture below. From the top it looks similar to the picture in the first post from the OP, but I haven't found a picture of it head on like this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #47
mtm235
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm235 View Post
Can anyone comment on the fit of the oil cooler lines to the OFCH?

I would have expected the gaskets to seat into the OFCH and the rib on the lines to be flush with the housing. But after pulling/pushing into the housing with a good bit of force, they wouldn't go further than the picture below. From the top it looks similar to the picture in the first post from the OP, but I haven't found a picture of it head on like this.
well after about 600 miles there are no leaks, so i guess this was correct hahah
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #48
minifridge1138
Private
Rep
Drives: It has 4 wheels and an engine

I did the OFHG and OCG and this guide was a lifesaver. I also replaced the Serpentine Belt because the old gaskets had leaked oil all over it.

Also a small E10 boxed end wrench made it easy to remove the lower OFHG bolt without removing the "mickey mouse" coolant line to the engine block.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #49
soulcrusher
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Is there any specific orientation to the gaskets? Or, are they bidirectional when replacing the OFH and Oil-coolant thermostat gaskets?

And, what type of brake cleaner did you use to clean the housing? Are there harmful brands or all the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #50
wes.myers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augster View Post
Draining the coolant prior to OFHG replacement is strictly optional. The only reason for doing it is to prevent messy spills when disconnecting the upper radiator hose and when separating the OFH from the cylinder head.

Since I was also replacing the engine block coolant pipe, I had to drain the coolant system anyways.

If you don't mind a little cleanup afterwards, then just do it the "messy" way! I ended up power washing the engine and compartment afterwards again because I bumped the oil filter lines a couple times spilling oil all over the front of the engine, and after removing the OFH, I noticed a bunch of crude underneath which I hit with carb cleaner causing the residual gunk to drain down everywhere else.

I wanted a super clean engine in order to confirm that the OFHG replacement solved my "driveway lubrication" issue.
How much coolant would you need to rerfill after doing this job without draining coolant? And what is the procedure for that?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #51
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Bump, also curious to know the answer to the last two previous posts
Appreciate 0