E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Spacers help.

01-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
BM1144
BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 325i

Spacers help.

Was wondering if you guys can help me out with something. I got some bms 15mm rear spacers to use with my standard type 161 wheels and I noticed some vibrations/wobbles after install around 100-130kmh.

I removed them recleaned the hub so it was immaculate not a spec of dirt on there got my 4 wheels balanced and there is what I can feel is a slight wobble. Im not sure if I\'m just being too pedantic about it or it\'s actually a problem. I can\'t remember the car driving like that before the spacers but I must admit I wasn\'t really paying any attention for it.

NOW wen you install a spacer should you be able to spin it on the hub or should it be absolutely completely snug and not spin? Atm I can just spin the spacer but there\'s no gap between the spacer and the actual hub. I\'m thinking maybe that could be the issue?

Any help would be appreciated I don\'t wanna take them out cos I like the look but it\'s driving me crazy!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
BM1144
BMW
Australia
Rep

This is the hub after cleaning them i dunno maybe there still not clean enough lol someone tell me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Bakeneko
--
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 xi

Have you checked the spacers to be sure that they're squared? It's possible that one face is slightly off. Roll them through calipers if you have a set. I've only mounted spacers once, and that was a set of H&Rs years ago and they fit snug on initial install, but not so much that I couldn't pull them off by hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Ha, those hubs are definitely clean enough! Also, not enough can be said for a quality spacer, since you didn't mention the brand I'm not sure if this may be part of the problem.

Also, I think you know the answer that we're gonna say. Take off the spacers, drive the car at 100-130kmh and see if the same wobble is there. If it is, your tires probably need balanced. If its not there, toss on the spacers when you get home, drive the car to 100-130kmh and if the shimmy is still there, something is up with your spacers.

Not really many other ways to diagnose the problem. I have 10mm front and 15 rear and they all fit pretty snug. Be sure to use some anti-seize or it may be a bitch to get off one day down the road.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
BM1144
BMW
Australia
Rep

The brand is burger motorsport. What are they like for quality? Im in Australia and these cost me $165au to bring over here so I don't really have the luxury of just easily buying another set and putting them on.

So your saying the spacer is ok to spin on the hub or no?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

I had the same problem when I installed the Burger Motorsport (BMS) wheel spacers. I had a friend help me install it initially, then took it to a professional shop (http://www.soulspeed.com/home.php), had the wheels balanced at BMW, still feel a slight shake/wobble on the steering wheel. Never noticed it until the spacers were installed. Felt it immediately when I got on the freeway.

Emailed Terry and was told that they balance the spacers before shipment and it's unlikely the spacers themselves that's causing the problem.

$226 for two pair of spacers + $71 for the install + $56 BMW balancing fee = unhappy customer!
      02-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
BM1144
BMW
Australia
Rep

I emailed him a couple of times as well, his response was brief, and never really answered the question i asked him, Im not too happy either definately wont deal with Burger Motorsports again,

There still on the car atm i jus left them on im seriously over giving a fuck. i cant beleive how much a pair of spacers drained my life lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
I had the same problem when I installed the Burger Motorsport (BMS) wheel spacers. I had a friend help me install it initially, then took it to a professional shop (http://www.soulspeed.com/home.php), had the wheels balanced at BMW, still feel a slight shake/wobble on the steering wheel. Never noticed it until the spacers were installed. Felt it immediately when I got on the freeway.

Emailed Terry and was told that they balance the spacers before shipment and it's unlikely the spacers themselves that's causing the problem.

$226 for two pair of spacers + $71 for the install + $56 BMW balancing fee = unhappy customer!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

Wow sorry to hear that. I have had 5mm spacers from ecs tuning and got a vibration and it turned out to be the rotors were out of spec. I'm not sure if its same in your case
Appreciate 0