E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ESS N52 Supercharger Reviews & INFO

12-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #45
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozoo View Post
so you got a kit and didn't tell us!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
How do you know?
Yea, I've had it for a month now. I was told I was #2, at least in the US, but I think I'm #1 as my bracket says 001 on it....but maybe they all will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordkeyz73 View Post
Did you have any issues @kisho ?
A months worth of issues. I want to pack it all back up and send it back and tell them to try again. They need a few more months.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #46
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Can you elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #47
JDane07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i (sold), MK7 GTI

And the truth slowly trickles out....
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #48
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #49
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
Yea, I've had it for a month now. I was told I was #2, at least in the US, but I think I'm #1 as my bracket says 001 on it....but maybe they all will.

A months worth of issues. I want to pack it all back up and send it back and tell them to try again. They need a few more months.
We're you the one with 325 xdrive at Frank's few weeks ago?

Did you take them on their offer?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #50
houbmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 530i Sport with SMG

Quote:

Well I hope they iron out the issues. ESS has a reputation to uphold so I will give them a few months. Thank god for beta testers! Ill probably wait until end of 2015 to see if I really want to get the kit based on the results/ reliability.

Thank you for sharing!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #51
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDane07 View Post
And the truth slowly trickles out....
What truth? He didn't really say much.

I hate when people do that - either tell the story or don't say anything at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #52
JDane07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i (sold), MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
What truth? He didn't really say much.

I hate when people do that - either tell the story or don't say anything at all.
The truth that this kit isn't ready. There's a reason why Roman hasn't been here in ages. There's a reason that every blue moon when he does decide to update, he says "in a few weeks". There's a reason this hasn't been posted up to order on their site. Roman wanted beta testers and it seems he got a few.
Old E90 Thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...first+e90+m580
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #53
b-man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDane07 View Post
The truth that this kit isn't ready. There's a reason why Roman hasn't been here in ages. There's a reason that every blue moon when he does decide to update, he says "in a few weeks". There's a reason this hasn't been posted up to order on their site. Roman wanted beta testers and it seems he got a few.
Yeah but those are just assumptions. Roman said they had it in a car for a year for testing. So they know what they need to make it work. Maybe they're trying to make it compatible across a few platforms or something.

kisho said a months worth of issues. What issues? You got it installed or installed it yourself, and what went wrong?

Last edited by b-man; 12-30-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #54
rhombus
Capt Rhombus
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/6, E91 325xi/6

Garage List
I was in DC for work and drove up to check out Kisho's kit, and issues. I spoke at length with ESS about what I saw and was ensured that they are sending Kisho the V2 production kit, that they also sent me, to resolve the V1 installation issues he experienced. ESS was unable to successfully tune his car because he had an existing AA tune on it (which I also have) and they use a different brand tuning software, cable, encryption etc. Im not 100% sure why this would be an issue but I will give them the benifit of the doubt for now. I spoke to ESS' tuner and he ensured me that the car will be 100% if they tune my car after I put the base tune back on. He said this is the first tuning issue they have had with the kit, and also the first time they tried to tune over someone elses' tune. Kisho didnt have the AA My Genus tool to flash back to stock, I do which should make things easier. I strongly stated to ESS that they needed to make Kisho's car right in order for me to feel good about moving forward. I talked to him again today and it sounds like they are taking care of him and will do what they need to get his car 100%. He was the first US kit and its expected that there would be some issues, one of which was the alternator size of the US spec car vs the Euro car. This kit was mechanically designed in Norway. They have an updated bracket and new formed silicone charge pipes to take care of the installation issues that were documented.

My kit is waiting for me at FedEx, I probably wont pick it up until Friday. They guaranteed it would work perfect or they will either send out a Tech to fix it or take it back. I will document my install for the rest of the forum. Hopefully I will have time to install it next week. I was told that it should only take 2-3hr to install for the first time and that their techs can knock out the install in under an hour.

I will definitely keep everyone posted.

Props to Kisho for flushing out the issues for the rest of us.

Last edited by rhombus; 12-30-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #55
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Good news, thanks for the update and clarification. ESS is a reputable company and id expect no less from them. Nice to see they're moving forward relatively quickly.
      12-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #56
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
I was in DC for work and drove up to check out Kisho's kit, and issues. I spoke at length with ESS about what I saw and was ensured that they are sending Kisho the V2 production kit, that they also sent me, to resolve the V1 installation issues he experienced. ESS was unable to successfully tune his car because he had an existing AA tune on it (which I also have) and they use a different brand tuning software, cable, encryption etc. Im not 100% sure why this would be an issue but I will give them the benifit of the doubt for now. I spoke to ESS' tuner and he ensured me that the car will be 100% if they tune my car after I put the base tune back on. He said this is the first tuning issue they have had with the kit, and also the first time they tried to tune over someone elses' tune. Kisho didnt have the AA My Genus tool to flash back to stock, I do which should make things easier. I strongly stated to ESS that they needed to make Kisho's car right in order for me to feel good about moving forward. I talked to him again today and it sounds like they are taking care of him and will do what they need to get his car 100%. He was the first US kit and its expected that there would be some issues, one of which was the alternator size of the US spec car vs the Euro car. This kit was mechanically designed in Norway. They have an updated bracket and new formed silicone charge pipes to take care of the installation issues that were documented.

My kit is waiting for me at FedEx, I probably wont pick it up until Friday. They guaranteed it would work perfect or they will either send out a Tech to fix it or take it back. I will document my install for the rest of the forum. Hopefully I will have time to install it next week. I was told that it should only take 2-3hr to install for the first time and that their techs can knock out the install in under an hour.

Just take the car to any shop with an autologic and have it put back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #57
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

At least ESS is making sure their kit work right ... The first kit is usually going to bring some problems , its always like that everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #58
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
I was in DC for work and drove up to check out Kisho's kit, and issues. I spoke at length with ESS about what I saw and was ensured that they are sending Kisho the V2 production kit, that they also sent me, to resolve the V1 installation issues he experienced. ESS was unable to successfully tune his car because he had an existing AA tune on it (which I also have) and they use a different brand tuning software, cable, encryption etc.
Only relevant post ITT. Are you going to reinstall your old manifold after flashing to stock?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #59
rhombus
Capt Rhombus
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/6, E91 325xi/6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafttt View Post
Only relevant post ITT. Are you going to reinstall your old manifold after flashing to stock?
Im going to stick with the 3stage IM for now unless I see a reason to remove it. The resonance principles of the 3stage IM still work under boost and it should continue to help with low end TQ.
      12-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #60
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
I've been busy dealing with all the issues and that is why I have not been able to respond to those that wanted to know more. Well here it is...

First off, the instructions are shit

The instructions had really broken English and was soooooo poorly written that in reality were not even correct. Steps 40-51 were missing and steps 52-60 should have come after step 25. Not to mention it wasn't for an N52, it was for an N51. In the end I must have taken the SC out at least 10 times now. I got it a month ago. I was told they fired the guy that wrote it.... Maybe those of you that have ordered it after me actually get instructions.

Next, the parts. Because there are sooooo many variants of the e9x platform, there's obviously going to be differences in fitment. First problem right off the bat is that my alternator was slightly larger. They apparently only tested on the 330 alternator. So after you install the SC bracket, the SC hits against the alternator and you can't screw it in.

Second problem, the throttle body. The silicone hose to the throttle body was half an inch larger in diameter than the throttle body. This means that the boost is gonna leak like a mother.....

Third, the hose that goes into the air filter..... it goes all the way into the brake duct and you actually remove the brake duct. In a pure performance sense, the filter is gonna be madddd happy However, you best not be living in a place where it downpours or has snow cause there's nothing blocking water from getting to the filter. Another thing is that that hose is so fat, even with the design they used for it, that it is squeezed so tight between the headlight and the fender liner, I couldn't get the fender liner to fit.

Finally, the software. OMG...... I've flashed my care so many times now I don't even know what version I'm on now. One of them caused my car to not even start. The rest of them made my car feel so weak, that when I stopped at a light, it would stall. They also made idle so jerky, you felt like a animal control trying to put down a rabid dog.

Now onto what ESS did for me. They overnighted a new alternator and made me a custom hose. The alternator was refurbished, it also looked used. Regardless I gave it a shot. Now, I can barely even get the car started, I need to play footsies with the gas to keep it from stalling and the idle as evolved into a ferocious beast. However, the hose fit a bit more snug. There's a plus, I think....

Now after the error check, I'm being told to put the old alternator back on and they're going to fabricate me a custom bracket. My kit is getting more and more custom by the minute.

BTW, I've talked to too many ppl from ESS than I should ever have talked to. Roman, then his supervisor Mike. Then Asbjorn "AJ", the guy that writes the tune. Finally, two guys from Norway, yea f'ing NORWAY, Hans and Petter (yea with 2 't's), that supposedly designed the kit.

Currently my car does not start, at all, doesn't even crank. rhombus can attest to the poor state of my car. I got a call this morning saying that they're overnighting me a new blower that they modified to fit. They said something about welding something at a right angle to make it fit next to the stock alternator. I didn't really understand it, but I'll see what they meant tomorrow. I've yet to flash to stock or put the stock alternator on yet. I'll do that after I get the new blower.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #61
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
I've been busy dealing with all the issues and that is why I have not been able to respond to those that wanted to know more. Well here it is...

The instructions had really broken English and was soooooo poorly written that in reality were not even correct. Steps 40-51 were missing and steps 52-60 should have come after step 25. Not to mention it wasn't for an N52, it was for an N51. In the end I must have taken the SC out at least 10 times now. I got it a month ago. I was told they fired the guy that wrote it.... Maybe those of you that have ordered it after me actually get instructions.

Next, the parts. Because there are sooooo many variants of the e9x platform, there's obviously going to be differences in fitment. First problem right off the bat is that my alternator was slightly larger. They apparently only tested on the 330 alternator. So after you install the SC bracket, the SC hits against the alternator and you can't screw it in.

Second problem, the throttle body. The silicone hose to the throttle body was half an inch larger in diameter than the throttle body. This means that the boost is gonna leak like a mother.....

Third, the hose that goes into the air filter..... it goes all the way into the brake duct and you actually remove the brake duct. In a pure performance sense, the filter is gonna be madddd happy However, you best not be living in a place where it downpours or has snow cause there's nothing blocking water from getting to the filter. Another thing is that that hose is so fat, even with the design they used for it, that it is squeezed so tight between the headlight and the fender liner, I couldn't get the fender liner to fit.

Finally, the software. OMG...... I've flashed my care so many times now I don't even know what version I'm on now. One of them caused my car to not even start. The rest of them made my car feel so weak, that when I stopped at a light, it would stall. They also made idle so jerky, you felt like a animal control trying to put down a rabid dog.

Now onto what ESS did for me. They overnighted a new alternator and made me a custom hose. The alternator was refurbished, it also looked used. Regardless I gave it a shot. Now, I can barely even get the car started, I need to play footsies with the gas to keep it from stalling and the idle as evolved into a ferocious beast. However, the hose fit a bit more snug. There's a plus, I think....

Now after the error check, I'm being told to put the old alternator back on and they're going to fabricate me a custom bracket. My kit is getting more and more custom by the minute.

BTW, I've talked to too many ppl from ESS than I should ever have talked to. Roman, then his supervisor Mike. Then Asbjorn "AJ", the guy that writes the tune. Finally, two guys from Norway, yea f'ing NORWAY, Hans and Petter (yea with 2 't's), that supposedly designed the kit.

Currently my car does not start, at all, doesn't even crank. rhombus can attest to the poor state of my car. I got a call this morning saying that they're overnighting me a new blower that they modified to fit. They said something about welding something at a right angle to make it fit next to the stock alternator. I didn't really understand it, but I'll see what they meant tomorrow. I've yet to flash to stock or put the stock alternator on yet. I'll do that after I get the new blower.
Damn that is a lot going wrong... I guess now we know why ESS hasnt post much about their kit. On the plus side I guess it is good they are working with you to make this work.
If it makes you feel better I work on airplanes and I ve been in projects where an airplane is the first one of its kind to get a specific upgrade and something always goes wrong , it takes time to get it right but then the other airplanes after that one are very easy and most things work right.

I hope everything gets sort it out
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #62
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #63
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

I'm sure that things will work out, you gotta have guts to beta test! Given ESS's previous work we can only hope this comes to market as flawless as their other VT kits. @kisho, I hope you were financially compensated as well
      12-31-2014, 12:43 AM   #64
SOL403
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Props to you Kisho, hopefully things dont take too long to get sorted out!

Mtec AE - Blacklines - ACS style front lip/roof spoiler/pedals - CF grill/trunklip/licenseplate frame/badges/diffuser - 19" VMR V701 - Michelin PS2 - Res delete - Remus Powersound Quadexhaust - Simota V2 intake - Cyba airscoops - KW V1 coilovers - BMS PBX - Stoptech brake pads/rotors - Mtech rear - Matte Silver Vinyl Wrapped
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #65
houbmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 530i Sport with SMG

Quote:

Thank You for sharing. Glad to see members posting on the forum about their experience. I will keep a close eye on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #66
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Sounds like a horror story, you've got patience that I don't.