E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Why is factory fit Sat Nav still so expensive?

Closed Thread

02-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #45
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Well he's pretty influential so I doubt it; the column has been running for ages too. It's only a bit of fun but from a slightly different "reader" angle.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #46
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

IMO the new hard drive based i drive is excellent, from displaying my ipod on the screen, calling people via voice control/bluetooth to going online - its a very impressive and intuitive system.

For me it was worth the cash - there are plenty of BMW options that i think are more of a rip off/pointless (for me)

1. BMW Individual audio system- £1435.00.......I agree that the standard system is below par but the business hi fi costs £390 and Audi's Bang & Olufsen system is half the price!

2. TV function - £810.00 - I could buy a 42" plasma with surround sound for that!

3. Comfort Access - £520 - I really dont find it that uncomfortable to push a button to open the car and a button to start it!

4. Active steering - £970 - Why would you

5. Active cruise control - £1125.00 - For what? If you cant brake when the car in front brakes you are too close/shouldnt be on the road.

I am not saying that the i-Drive package is cheap but when compared against other options that offer much less functionality i believe it is worth the price.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #47
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
ss134 - brilliant! That's one way of putting it I guess!

Glad it's improved but the version my car would have come with (it's a late 06 plate) would have been cack so pointless anyway.

Best option and a total must have IMO - panoramic sunroof. It's worth having a Touring just for this.

Daftest priced option - retractable rear window blinds but SO glad ours has them. I HATE those stick on cr4ppy blinds most people have.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #48
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Well he's pretty influential so I doubt it; the column has been running for ages too. It's only a bit of fun but from a slightly different "reader" angle.
Strange, as that's not how the feature was presented.

It's weird how someone who is reputedly so influential failed to comment on something he found so lacking and hateful in a review of a top of the range car.

I'm guessing David Wilkins thinks he's quite 'edgy' by failing to pass on his real thoughts online, but convey them privately.

So how did he let you know that he found the system 'hateful'?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #49
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hot - where are you going with this? Trying to be smartar5e yet again by any chance?

I simply remarked about the system being silly (having used it before) and he agreed. It was a few years ago so I don't have a recording of the exact conversation.

Why does it matter? Plenty of other journos have slated i-drive. But some seem to like the latest system. So what?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #50
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hot - where are you going with this? Trying to be smartar5e yet again by any chance?

I simply remarked about the system being silly (having used it before) and he agreed. It was a few years ago so I don't have a recording of the exact conversation.

Why does it matter? Plenty of other journos have slated i-drive. But some seem to like the latest system. So what?
Nice one Matt, lead with an insult.

Earlier on in this thread you stated:

Quote:
The journo (David Wilkins) had driven from London in it and HATED the i-drive so went to major lengths to get around using it!
I have read that feature and the subsequent comments the reviewers wrote including your own.

You are the only one to comment on the I drive, and I find it difficult to believe that an "influential" motoring journalist would fail to mention in the review ANYTHING about the I - drive, especially as he
"HATED the i-drive so went to major lengths to get around using it!"

Would you not agree?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #51
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
TBH I didn't even think about it. Maybe he needed to keep BMW sweet or something?

I just don't get where you're going. My comment wouldn't have been made if you hadn't had a number of pointless pops at me in the past.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #52
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Why do you think the whole world is against you????????
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #53
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I don't. I just like "debating" - it's what internet forums are for.

HotCoupe has been officially labelled a top bloke (by another respected member) so that's fine by me. He just often has a go that's all.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #54
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
TBH I didn't even think about it. Maybe he needed to keep BMW sweet or something?

I just don't get where you're going. My comment wouldn't have been made if you hadn't had a number of pointless pops at me in the past.
Matt, you have made a point of mentioning this Independent feature a number of times and on multiple forums, so perhaps you give it more credence than the Author does, as apparently and I quote

Quote:
" It's only a bit of fun but from a slightly different "reader" angle."
My point is that if the above is true, his privately conveyed comment has about as much weight as his 'fun' review does.

No reviewer of substance would kowtow to a manufacturer,would anyone take them seriously?

I'm sure plenty of Journo's have commented on the i-drive, and thought it rubbish, however do you believe every review you read, perhaps you do, which is why you chose a car without the i-drive feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #55
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I don't. I just like "debating" - it's what internet forums are for.

HotCoupe has been officially labelled a top bloke (by another respected member) so that's fine by me. He just often has a go that's all.
Yeah and so do i, and yes i know thats what they are for.

But it seems if people dont share the same opinion as you then you go off on one about it, the fact is not everyone isnt going to agree on the same thing so you need to learn to deal with that.

Also i think some people just see you as an easy target, but i think you have to take some of the blame for that yourself, with the way you go on sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #56
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Irnbru - of course it's partly me - otherwise why would it keep happening on various forums? But overall, it's worth the effort.

Some laughs, some arguments, lots of info and sometimes even real life meets (more from surfing and MTB forums than car ones so far) where people are always quite different to their on-line personas.

Hell Irnbru, we'd probably even get on.

HC - I have driven an i-drive equipped 535d Touring many many miles and also tried a recent (09) 3 series with i-drive - I wouldn't dismiss it simply from mag reviews. I can't remember what DW said - I said I didn't like it (my inlaws had their 535d four months then sent it back - the i-drive caused loads of problems and the car eventually became a total PITA from computer errors) and he agreed. Whether i-drive is now the best system in the world, if you stay at a Hilton and find a turd in the bog, you won't stay at a Hilton again...

Last edited by Em135eye; 02-08-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #57
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Irnbru - of course it's partly me - otherwise why would it keep happening on various forums? But overall, it's worth the effort.

Some laughs, some arguments, lots of info and sometimes even real life meets (more from surfing and MTB forums than car ones so far) where people are always quite different to their on-line personas.

Maybe you never know
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #58
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
So we have taken quite a interesting thread and yet again a ruk has started....

oh well
We need it. Too much talk of blacklines, remaps, blacklines, remaps, blacklines, remaps.....

On topic though, a lot of people who moan about i-drive dont realise there is a really basic shortcut that save you having to return the to the menus. (And I had a 53 plate 7 series and that I -drive was cool too).

If you have it, you appreciate all the little extras - voice controlled stopwatch remember

If you dont have it, its because you didnt have the patience or cash to wait for the right car. When you selll it on, every punter wants I -drive, and all the dealers use no I-drive as an excuse to pay crap p/x.

I'd never spec it on a new BMW though, cos I wouldnt buy a new one
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #59
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
My search criteria were:

335d but 330d if not suitable 35ds around
SE but would accept M Sport if no SEs around
Sunroof
Leather
No i-drive (honestly)
Black, graphite or silver
Preferably xenons.

And that was it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #60
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My search criteria were:

335d but 330d if not suitable 35ds around
SE but would accept M Sport if no SEs around
Sunroof
Leather
No i-drive (honestly)
Black, graphite or silver
Preferably xenons.

And that was it.
Now that's why you have so many problems Matt.

You were prepared to accept MSport, but are critical of others who have the MSport package, especially those with the lesser powered engines.

You wanted a car without i-drive, but seem to go out of your way to push your opinion that i-drive is rubbish, and that it is totally unnecessary.

Perhaps if you expressed your opinions in a non confrontational manner, then we would not be having all these unpleasant threads.

I'm sure you don't ruffle the feathers of your clients as much as you do members of this forum, perhaps you should apply some of your work ethics to your online posts, does that sound reasonable?

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #61
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
IMO the new hard drive based i drive is excellent, from displaying my ipod on the screen, calling people via voice control/bluetooth to going online - its a very impressive and intuitive system.

For me it was worth the cash - there are plenty of BMW options that i think are more of a rip off/pointless (for me)

1. BMW Individual audio system- £1435.00.......I agree that the standard system is below par but the business hi fi costs £390 and Audi's Bang & Olufsen system is half the price!

2. TV function - £810.00 - I could buy a 42" plasma with surround sound for that!

3. Comfort Access - £520 - I really dont find it that uncomfortable to push a button to open the car and a button to start it!

4. Active steering - £970 - Why would you

5. Active cruise control - £1125.00 - For what? If you cant brake when the car in front brakes you are too close/shouldnt be on the road.

I am not saying that the i-Drive package is cheap but when compared against other options that offer much less functionality i believe it is worth the price.
After skim reading 3 pages (am I the only person who goes to work) I really like this post from ss134 above. It's exactly the thought process I go through when looking through the option list.

I guess the answer is it's a good option, more than just nav and helpful for resale on a 6 cylinder car but a bit overpriced. For some it's a bit like Xenon's once you have had them on a car you automatically spec them next time even though they are £700 odd quid.

335diesel, The full length sunroof must be a fab option on a touring and one I would defo specify on a factory car. Be careful though as it's not a good option to admit you own on E90 Post.
      02-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #62
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

[QUOTE=335diesel;6684901]Irnbru - of course it's partly me - otherwise why would it keep happening on various forums? But overall, it's worth the effort.

HC - I have driven an i-drive equipped 535d Touring many many miles and also tried a recent (09) 3 series with i-drive - I wouldn't dismiss it simply from mag reviews. I can't remember what DW said - I said I didn't like it (my inlaws had their 535d four months then sent it back - the i-drive caused loads of problems and the car eventually became a total PITA from computer errors) and he agreed. Whether i-drive is now the best system in the world, if you stay at a Hilton and find a turd in the bog, you won't stay at a Hilton again...[/QUOTE]

If i was staying with Paris Hilton and found her turd in my bog i would forgive her and would almost definately stay again.....its an easy mistake to make.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #63
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
If i was staying with Paris Hilton and found her turd in my bog i would forgive her and would almost definately stay again.....its an easy mistake to make.
Oh that is soooo funny.

Btw I agree with everything you said in your earlier post about it being one of those options that is worth the money.

I had it on my beemers and that was the old system. I know the new system is better still.

I've owned two other marques both with manufacturers sat. nav. and believe me, they are not as comprehensive in what they do and the available functions as the BMW. So imo the BMW system is pretty good value for money. I never had a problem using the older idrive system either tbh and liked it. For some reason if I'd been on the phone a while the SOS function would disable - don't know what that was about.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #64
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Glad it's improved but the version my car would have come with (it's a late 06 plate) would have been cack so pointless anyway.
That statement is completely wrong.

The system in my 56 plate e90 330i was perfectly adequate.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #65
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:

For me it was worth the cash -
Well said, my thoughts exactly!! I've used both the old and the new idrive systems without any problems. I think most people agree that it is over priced, but very few who have actually experienced it think its actually rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #66
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
The system in my 56 plate e90 330i was perfectly adequate.
+1 on that Simon. My '06 330i was fine, ok it need a software update but worked without a hitch after that.

Didn't find the TV much use though. Remember going to pick my Mum up from Stansted airport once and Steve stayed in the car watching TV, it stayed on for about 10 mins then switches off to save the battery and I had the key.......made me laugh anyhow.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread