E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Best coding options

08-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
Xfloridiankicks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 335i

Best coding options

Looking to get some LUX LED's for my halos on my 09 335i, I seen Carley is a great way to do that but seen in the entire price and it's about a total $140 with the adapter and app price, any other ways to do this for a cheaper price?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:21 AM   #2
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfloridiankicks View Post
Looking to get some LUX LED's for my halos on my 09 335i, I seen Carley is a great way to do that but seen in the entire price and it's about a total $140 with the adapter and app price, any other ways to do this for a cheaper price?
You won't need to code anything when you install Lux. They won't throw any malfunctions. But there are cheaper options to code, NCS Expert
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #3
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Like stated above, you don't have to code out Lux.

NCS Expert is definitely the cheapest option for other coding. For a little more user-friendliness, I went with ProTool from Bimmergeeks, and I'm happy with it. It's a one-time cost of $50 for the license, and it's not vin-locked.
      08-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift_downshift View Post
Quote:
Like stated above, you don't have to code out Lux.

NCS Expert is definitely the cheapest option for other coding. For a little more user-friendliness, I went with ProTool from Bimmergeeks, and I'm happy with it. It's a one-time cost of $50 for the license, and it's not vin-locked.
How do you like Protool? Have you tried it on any F series? I use Carly for F series and ncs for e9x and Carly is so slow with F series
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
How do you like Protool? Have you tried it on any F series? I use Carly for F series and ncs for e9x and Carly is so slow with F series
Have not tried it on any F series, just my E90. I am using the cable from Bimmergeeks as well, which probably speeds up the connection. Hasn't felt slow to me. Others say their bluetooth connector is fast, but I can't speak to that.

What's good about ProTool is that it's portable, and really easy and quick to understand. The coding options have descriptions for what they do. I just keep a tablet in my glovebox for both MHD and protool.

It's definitely incomplete, there are some variables (I guess that's what you call them?) that don't have descriptions yet, and some modules don't have coding options. It would also be nice to have some sort of user manual, which would explain things a bit more, like what each module controls, and how to code some of the more popular options. For example, it took me some time to figure out that the seatbelt chime option was in the airbag module, and not the seat or gauge cluster. I always start the car before putting on my seatbelt, so I hated having it yell at me every time I got in.

The $50 is ONLY for coding. If you want to install injectors, register the battery, or read data/DTC's, that license is $80 (but it's also not vin-locked!).

The lack of a yearly subscription is also very nice.